Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Help!! Item missing from my luggage!!

Help!! Item missing from my luggage!!

Old Dec 13, 2004, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Help!! Item missing from my luggage!!

I flew from OMA to LAX yesterday with a layover in DTW. At some point my jewelry case was removed from my bag. (I know it was stupid to check it--I was tired and not thinking clearly) The box contained my wedding ring, 2 pair of earrings and a dinner ring with matching earrings. The wedding ring alone was worth about $10k and represented 17 years of marriage. ARGH!!!! The airline baggage office in LA is totally unresponsive. I know I need to file a police report--but where?? OMA? LAX? Who can I talk to at NWA that will at least try and make a plea to have my stuff returned???

Moral of the story--no matter how tight your wedding ring is--wear it!! alost finger is a lot better than a lost mind....

Any help you can give is much appreciated!!
Old Dec 13, 2004, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Did you have the nice notice from TSA saying they screened your bag? That will help point you in the right direction. The TSA has a response line for items missing from baggage.

It's also most likely (though not guaranteed) that your items were misplaced or stolen in your first point of departure (OMA). DTW would have just transferred your bag and LAX would have just delivered it to the belt. Of course, stranger things have happened.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope these items turn up soon and in tact!

-RM
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Though I am really sorry for your loss... the answer that most Americans will give is "better safe than sorry".

The loss to all us continues to mount, and we are not any safer as a result of it.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by omapcw1
I flew from OMA to LAX yesterday with a layover in DTW. At some point my jewelry case was removed from my bag. (I know it was stupid to check it--I was tired and not thinking clearly) The box contained my wedding ring, 2 pair of earrings and a dinner ring with matching earrings. The wedding ring alone was worth about $10k and represented 17 years of marriage. ARGH!!!! The airline baggage office in LA is totally unresponsive. I know I need to file a police report--but where?? OMA? LAX? Who can I talk to at NWA that will at least try and make a plea to have my stuff returned???

Moral of the story--no matter how tight your wedding ring is--wear it!! alost finger is a lot better than a lost mind....

Any help you can give is much appreciated!!
Did you leave your bag unlocked as TSA advises?
Even if the airline accepted responsibility, there is a limit that the airline will pay for lost baggage.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by omapcw1
The box contained my wedding ring, 2 pair of earrings and a dinner ring with matching earrings. The wedding ring alone was worth about $10k and represented 17 years of marriage.

Call your insurer now.
NW and TSA will have some liability coverage for you, but that is a big mistake on your part.
Do you have receipts? Could be hard to claim unless you can demonstrate value.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 5:46 pm

Please please please tell me the ring is insured.

Assuming you've already filed a claim with NWA, you should file a claim with TSA, too:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1028.xml
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I wouldn't hold out hope on NW. From the luggage rules:

Northwest, like most major airlines, assumes no liability for loss of, or damage to: Antiques / Computer Equipment and related items / Documents (personal or business, negotiable papers) / Electronic Equipment / film / Jewelry/Watches / Keys / Manuscripts / Medication / Money / Paintings or one of a kind works of art / Pets/Animals / Photographs / Photographic Equipment / Samples / Securities / Silverware / Fragile Items / Irreplaceable or Perishable Items.

Sorry.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:28 am
jjj

Why

Did I read the thread correctly? You flew from Omaha to Detroit to get to Los Angeles? Was this a milage run?

I am sorry for your situation, just trying to see if someone would fly through Detroit on a OMA-LAX route.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:23 am

You have my sympathy and it gives my gut a knot to think about your loss.

Everyone should remember to NEVER, EVER, NEVER place anything of personal importance in your checked luggage. NEVER

Sometimes, I check some relatively expensive items, but they are never of sentimental value or more than what my insurance will cover.

Losses like this are simply distressing to hear about.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:34 am

Programs: NW Gold
To answer one question from the OP, my insurance company has usually required a police report at the destination, in this case LAX, for airline-related claims. You may want to ask your insurance company if they have an applicable rule.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:29 am
Suspended

I think a police report is required by all insurance companies. As a rule of thumb if you lose anything and want another entity to act on the basis of that loss, a police report is a must. My motorcycle tags fell off. I had to file a police report to get replacement tags. As for insuarance company, insurance company has to make sure that the item has not be found. Unless you report the loss, there is no chance of you getting it back.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Although check. When I had a car, it got vandalized frequently. getting the police to come ususally took several calls and several hours' wait. And of course they dodn't investigate or anything, just fill out a report.

Finally i asked teh insurance company if they really needed it and they said no. Saved a lot of time...
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Jewellery insurance

On this topic, jewellery insurance where I am is exhorbitant (not that we have many muggings or reported B&Es). Maximum claim for unlisted jewellery is only $500 or so, and premium on declared/listed jewellery is some 15% p.a.!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:32 pm

Not jewelry stolen, but...

I've lost 8 stainless steel bag ID tags over the last 5 trips. I have even gone so far as to use locktite on threads to keep from coming undone. I think some punk is making off with them. I always make connections through DTW so that is the common denominator. I am at the point of having them soldered. I have had to resort to using the paper ones from the ticket agent counter. The 50 cent pleather ones last for months but are getting shredded at the seams. Anyone have any good suggestions?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
There have been tons of documented TSA thefts since they started screening all bags. I would definitely file a police report and with the TSA. Based on recent problems with the TSA, I would look to them for the responsibility.

Also, be sure to check the local pawn shops around your point of departure in OMA. Chances are that the person who took it is stupid enough to try and get quick cash for the items. If you have a photo of any of the items, those would be helpful, but if not, and it's realistic, I'd pay a visit to all the area pawn shops and act like a shopper. If you see your items, immeidately notify the shop they are in posession of stolen goods and call the police.

Truly sorry to hear of your loss.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.