Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

90 miles short of Silver Elite, what can I do?

Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

I live in Japan, home airport KIX, with few Northwest flights out of here. I'm Silver this year. Was planning on a trip to the US next week, which would have easily put me into Silver again for next year, but had to cancel at the last minute. I won't fly to the US again until probably late Jan. 2005. If I call NW, will they be kind and give me Silver because I'm so close? (Or, because I'm a nice guy? )

The easiest mileage run that I can think of is a quick trip to Korea on Korean Air, but that will take some time and a few hundred dollars, at least.

Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA
Can one actually buy a ticket KIX-NRT? One way, and return by shinkansen. That would do the trick, right?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miro
Can one actually buy a ticket KIX-NRT? One way, and return by shinkansen. That would do the trick, right?
Actually, the trip to Korea would probably be about the same price and time. Also, NW doesn't fly that route, only the Japan based airlines, AFAIK.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:10 am
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
order a bunch of flower for a friend in US?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by ls
order a bunch of flower for a friend in US?
Don't think these will get him EQMs...
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Don't think these will get him EQMs...
Will anything besides flight miles get me EQMs?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:33 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
RT: KIX to TPE?

Didn't NW have KIX as the new TPE to Japan route?

Ever visit TPE? A short trip to TPE and spend a couple of days sightseeing, if you want to, will defintely fix your EQM. Not sure which one is cheaper now, Korea or TPE? I do know from TPE to Japan is very popular.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 5:30 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Don't bank on it! Try flying finding a consolidator that sells tickets to HKG, TPE, or SEL. (You may have to fly out of NRT.) Good luck!

- Pat
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:00 am

Programs: DL GM, CO, SWA
My fiance was short a few hundred miles to qualify for elite status several years ago and NW just gave hime status (I think it was gold at the time).

Why don't you try calling them to see it they are in a generous mood? Tell them you'll make up the 90 miles next year

But seriously, it might be worth a call.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I've got 50,090 EQM's for the year and secured my Gold status for next
year. You can have my extra 90 miles if you want it. Too bad NW doesn't
have a way to transfer EQM's.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msvacation
My fiance was short a few hundred miles to qualify for elite status several years ago and NW just gave hime status (I think it was gold at the time).

Why don't you try calling them to see it they are in a generous mood? Tell them you'll make up the 90 miles next year

But seriously, it might be worth a call.
I'm going to call on Monday. Northwest has seriously cut back on flights out of KIX the past few years. I've lived in Japan for 13 years and logged over 500,000 miles lifetime. Maybe they'll give me a break!
Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Spend some $$$ and get it like:
USD $414 Northwest NRT to ICN
ICN to NRT
No?
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:24 pm

Location: Madison, WI USA NWA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
It's called a mileage run.

I agree with the earlier post, call NW and chances are they will give you the status or as some airlines do, allow you to "buy in" to a status that you are near getting on your own.

I was looking at missing NW Platnimum status, being @ 73,500 projected miles as 12/31/04 - however a last minute business trip from MSN to AUS will get me over the 75K hump. If it where not for this company paid trip, then I was going to call the Elite line and inquire what the least cost trip was that I could take within a day RT out of MSN to get me to 75K+. Mileage runs, I wonder how many of these (mileage runs) are done in the name of achieving or keeping Elite status?
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:32 pm

EQM at Hiltons

Might try a night at a Hilton product. They were running a promo to get EQMs, dunno if it's in Asia as well.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by PetoskeyFlyer
Might try a night at a Hilton product. They were running a promo to get EQMs, dunno if it's in Asia as well.
You might try booking a room here in Hawai'i and see if they will let you check-in over the phone. Call the hotel first, explain your situation honestly and see what they say. NW is offering EQMs for the miles you would have recieved while staying at a Hilton. More info here:

http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/process...p=NWADoubleEQM

aloha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.