Wiki Posts
Search

NWA Visa card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
NWA Visa card

Sorry but I have been away for awhile and have not seen any recent info on this topic. My free year of using the Visa card is up this month and I must decide if I will keep it and pay the fee. Would someone kindly tell me the benefits/promotions I might get if I do keep the card for another year? It is not listed on the card but I believe I have the platinum level?
Old Nov 3, 2004, 2:12 pm

Would someone kindly tell me the benefits/promotions I might get if I do keep the card for another year?
www.usbank.com
Old Nov 3, 2004, 2:22 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Hi Audie,

Try this slightly more helpful link:

http://www.worldperksvisa.com/cgi_w/...PromoID=perks2

The only real perk above and beyond earning miles that I am aware of is a certificate you get each year in your statement for I think it was 7,000 miles off a reward ticket, with blackout dates of course . No club passes or companion ticket offers.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 4:03 pm

Programs: NW WP (never an elite)
In the small print, you will see, if you look very very carefully, that once you reach $50,000 purchases per account Platinum cards, its $80,000 for the other) you only earn 1 mile for every two dollars...
Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:38 pm

Hi Audie - same situation here. I called to cancel the card however.
They in turn offered 3 possibilities;

1) cancel and walk away
2) keep it open and a couple thousand bonus miles
3) close it - open a new NW Visa card offering NO annual fee $2= 1 mile for purchases, 1500 miles bonus for switching.

Consider #3. No obligation to stick around - and you may just like it =)
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I was under the impression that you didn't have to close the account to satisfy #3 above, just convert it.

aloha
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by shedwannabe
In the small print, you will see, if you look very very carefully, that once you reach $50,000 purchases per account Platinum cards, its $80,000 for the other) you only earn 1 mile for every two dollars...
There are two "workarounds" for this issue. You earn regular miles over the limits if you are elite or if you pick the automatic payment with a quick payment (6 days?) after the bill date.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:36 am

Programs: NW WP (never an elite)
Originally Posted by ilovemiles
There are two "workarounds" for this issue. You earn regular miles over the limits if you are elite or if you pick the automatic payment with a quick payment (6 days?) after the bill date.
Interesting!!! I didn't know that. But in my case, I have the balance taken out the day AFTER my paycheck is deposited....much better than several days BEFORE my paycheck is deposited. I did call once about this, and the date is set by when you applied for the card, but you have a certain amount of flexibility (around 2 weeks) in terms of what date you have the money withdrawn from your account.

Now if only I could get my employer to pay me two weeks earlier.....
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
I was under the impression that you didn't have to close the account to satisfy #3 above, just convert it.

aloha
You may be right. They mentioned I could continue using the old account until the new one (new credit card number) arrived.

From a credit risk perspective, they (US Bank) would have to approve you for 2 X the credit line. Ie: 1st card $5000 limit, in your scenario - a 2nd card would have another $5000 limit. I believe they are saying we'll convert the 1st card limit to the 2nd card and close the 1st.

Certainly worth inquiring about though.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mikensf74
close it - open a new NW Visa card offering NO annual fee $2= 1 mile for purchases, 1500 miles bonus for switching.
Consider #3. No obligation to stick around - and you may just like it =)
I have looked at the WP Visa site but can't find this no-fee card. Where is the link?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:00 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
I don't think there is an on-line link (just checked Gary Steiger's website to confirm this).

If you have a NW Visa card with a fee, US Bank will offer you the free card when you ask to cancel the former. This happened to me this past summer. I received a 1,500-mile bonus for making the switch.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
The only real perk above and beyond earning miles that I am aware of is a certificate you get each year in your statement for I think it was 7,000 miles off a reward ticket, with blackout dates of course .
I've had the WP Visa (Platinum) for two years, and I didn't get anything special when I renewed and payed my annual fee. I do pay my rent on the card, so I am very happy with all the miles I earn, but it would be nice to get a little something, a token for being a loyal customer.

Oh well,

PS. Maybe I got the certificate in the mail, and I didnt read my statement close enough.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:19 pm

no linkie

Originally Posted by Family flyer
I have looked at the WP Visa site but can't find this no-fee card. Where is the link?
The phone rep seemed to indicate it was offered to existing Platinum cardholders who switch to this new card.

Incidently, I received the new card today - including a certificate for 1000 bonus miles when I make a purchase and mail in my first payment....
not sure if this is in addition the 1500 miles they offered on the phone for switching...
anyone switching would be wise to keep an eye for the tear off certificate. It almost looked like a solicitation insurance they always send with new accounts.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by KLM-boy
I've had the WP Visa (Platinum) for two years, and I didn't get anything special when I renewed and payed my annual fee.

Opps, I spoke too soon. I just received the 4,000 miles off offer today for renewing my Visa card (8,000 miles off for two).
Old Nov 10, 2004, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by KLM-boy
Opps, I spoke too soon. I just received the 4,000 miles off offer today for renewing my Visa card (8,000 miles off for two).
It says this is the final year we will receive this unless we upgrade to Platinum or Signature...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.