possible to link pnrs?

Old Sep 6, 04, 1:09 am
Original Poster

possible to link pnrs?

I have done a search, but get conflicting answers.

I will fly northwest transpacific starting from IAD. I need to get to IAD from EWR earlier that day on a separate ticket--either on continental with a two hour stop or on united with a four hour stop. United and continental are identical in price

Does anyone konw if it's possible to get it noted in my northwest reservation so I'm protected if my flight to IAD is delayed? If so, how can it be done. I've asked one phone rep, and the answer was that it's impossible. I also know a travel agent did it for me last year (but, alas, these tickets aren't from that travel agent).

If it is absolutely impossible, would it be advisable to fly united to IAD (something I'd really rather not do)?

Thanks for info and advice.
Old Sep 14, 04, 12:39 am
Original Poster

To answer my own question--yes it's possible. My local (in Asia) Northwest ticket office inserted the connection from ewr into my itinerary (and the insertion is even viewable online!). After that, I booked the connection on continental's website.

So why did the US phone rep say it was impossible?...
Old Sep 14, 04, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
They may have been able to insert a reference to it, but since it was bought seperate I dobut you will have any "protection" because of it. I've had them insert the reference to another flight on a seperate ticket before, but it's still not "one" ticket, but two, with a reference that the person will be coming from another flight.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 14, 04 at 1:55 am
Old Sep 14, 04, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Airlines can cross reference two reservations. Esp, your second journey is dependent on the first initierary. i.e. your second leg of the travel is a connection (not a "connecting flight" but a continuous journey) from the first leg of the trip, the rule 35 or 36 applies, even though you have two separate tickets. In case the first reservation is delayed or canceled so you can not board on the second part of your journey, the airline will try to accommodate you on a very next flight. Your baggage can be thru checked in. I have done it a few times. This information was provided to me by NW. Be courteous and patient to explain your situation when you talk to a reservation desk. Generally, they will try to help you out.

Bon Voage.
sam

Search this Thread