need more miles

Old Sep 1, 04, 10:08 pm
BLT
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Gold,
need more miles

I am about 20000 miles short to get gold elite this year. Any suggestions for high mile low cost milegae runs?
Old Sep 1, 04, 10:24 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, WN, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, BWGCCI, Priority Club
Originally Posted by BLT
I am about 20000 miles short to get gold elite this year. Any suggestions for high mile low cost milegae runs?
BLT, where are you based?
In another post, I showed 2 MRs to san & lax from rdu (IMHO both good status runs @ < .05/EQM).

Edited by western50
Moderator, if this s/b in mileage run forum, please move. Thanks.

Last edited by western50; Sep 1, 04 at 10:30 pm
Old Sep 1, 04, 10:31 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
there were some GREAT fares $300 + taxes to Asia, that should cover lots of those miles.....
Old Sep 1, 04, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BLT
Right now the 5000 mile round trip ORD-LAX trip for $200. Leave at 4pm Sat return at 9am Sun. If you are cleaver, you can do it twice in a weekend for 10000 miles.

Gary
Old Sep 2, 04, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by gldwebs
If you are cleaver
And if your name isn't Wally or Beaver?
Old Sep 2, 04, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
And if your name isn't Wally or Beaver?
Have you ever tried to be coherent when you are lacking sleep while trying to figure out how to rearrange a trip around a hurricane.
Old Sep 2, 04, 11:32 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
there were some GREAT fares $300 + taxes to Asia, that should cover lots of those miles.....
Any details? They only thing I see in MR is FROM China to PDX.
Old Sep 2, 04, 10:32 pm
BLT
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Gold,
Originally Posted by BLT
Sorry, first timer on flyertalk - I forgot to tell you where I originate - MSP. I can travel in Oct or Nov. Thanks for helping me. How do you find out all this stuff, anyway?
Old Sep 2, 04, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Fall Sale is On!

Originally Posted by BLT
Sorry, first timer on flyertalk - I forgot to tell you where I originate - MSP. I can travel in Oct or Nov. Thanks for helping me. How do you find out all this stuff, anyway?
One of the recent NWA email mentioned fall sale to Asia. I think it's a pretty good deal but won't fit into my plan. According to your schedule, you may want to visit their website and see if any targeted cities catch your eyes and are easy on your pocket.

IMHO, fall is a nice season to visit Asia. You may enjoy the maple trees and hot springs in Japan (a bit more costly though), shopping season in Hong Kong or friendly visit to Taiwan. I am not sure NWA will have the most competitive fares to the above places though.

lin821
Old Sep 3, 04, 12:09 am

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Not to question your spending habits, but if you're 20,000 miles short of gold.... why are you shooting for gold in the first place? Don't get me wrong, I'm plat because I love MRing and randomly stumbling upon bumps, but 20,000 miles is quite a large hurdle to jump >just< to make gold.
Old Sep 3, 04, 12:24 am

Programs: NWA gold, frequent stayer at friends' and relatives' houses
Add 500 miles from Rochester

I just moved from Rochester, MN (RST). That is 76 miles from MSP, but gives you 500 miles per segment. It is usually not much more expensive to fly from there, especially if going west. If you find a good MR and are just shy, driving down there on 52 south might be a good deal. It is a small, easy airport, and you can avoid the turboprops. There is an unusual number of NW Elites and FC passengers for such a small airport that it is actually a reasonable atmosphere. Plus, there are rarely more than two people in front of you in the security line.

Looking at the new timetable, they have a number of DC9s. I usually even got upgraded as silver, even though they have to rush to serve drinks in FC with a 20 minute flight!

For my new job, I am flying in and out of Eau Claire, WI (EAU) which is 85 miles away from MSP, but they only have turboprops. It is a much tougher 500 miles!

I am curious to see if NW does ship MSP international passengers down to a new airport north of Rochester how that will change things.

Search this Thread