Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

24 hour checkin - 24 hours before 1st or last segment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver

I could not find this out with a search. Since I no longer have NW status, I want to check in ASAP to snag exit rows for my flights friday. My question is, can I check in 24 hours before my 1st segment, or do I have to wait till 24 hours before the last segment in the trip?

Also, any other tips besides seatguru for good seats on a 757 (version 1)?

We're going to Auburn this weekend to visit relatves and take in the Cord Duesenberg show. I'll be drooling over a lot of cars I probably won't ever be able to afford!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 3:00 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Check-in should be activated 24 hours before the first leg of the itinerary in the time zone of the itinerary. Most people are trying to check in from the same time zone as the airport, but it can happen that you are in another time zone, so it is 24 hours based on the departure time at the departure airport for the first leg. Of course you check in for all legs at the same time.

Good luck with the exit rows, I don't remember if they are available at 24 hours or not.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
When you check-in online and you can select a new seat, and at that time all elite section seating beceomes open to everyone (including any exit rows).

I know, I've flown in exit row seats snagged at online check-in as non-status on both NW and US.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Update

Well - I just checked in - I was not able to choose any of the premium/exit seats as a non-elite scum

I did move us to 24A&C on the 752. Hopefully that trick will work so we'll have some extra room (no one's in the middle). If we get to the airport in time, I'll ask about the exit row especially on the tin-can ...er I mean CRJ from DTW to FWA.

Is the BOB food any good, or should we just bring our own?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyinMike
Well - I just checked in - I was not able to choose any of the premium/exit seats as a non-elite scum

I did move us to 24A&C on the 752. Hopefully that trick will work so we'll have some extra room (no one's in the middle). If we get to the airport in time, I'll ask about the exit row especially on the tin-can ...er I mean CRJ from DTW to FWA.

Is the BOB food any good, or should we just bring our own?
There used to be a very little known trick (if you are good with computers) to allow you to choose any coach seat at check in by entering a property URL string in your browser. Being a web guy I discovered this a while before making elite and always got the P seats. Now that I am elite I don't need it, but it might still work.

Gary
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Quip
When you check-in online and you can select a new seat, and at that time all elite section seating beceomes open to everyone (including any exit rows).

I know, I've flown in exit row seats snagged at online check-in as non-status on both NW and US.
Not always true. Much of it depends on the loads of the flight. Empty flight will allow non-elites to choose P seating, fuller flight will not. Do a search here and it'll provide more info.

aloha
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by slippahs
Not always true. Much of it depends on the loads of the flight. Empty flight will allow non-elites to choose P seating, fuller flight will not. Do a search here and it'll provide more info.

aloha
Well, my non-status is dead give away I don't fly NW nearly as much as 80% of the people posting here. But on my experiences on four segments on fairly full flights I've been offered exit rows and elite seating at check-in. I guess it's a YMMV thing, or they changed it.

It's always worth asking at check-in, I've flow other carriers and received exit row seats if I get to the airport early enough (usually as a result of long connections from other carriers).
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:23 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Question

Originally Posted by gldwebs
There used to be a very little known trick (if you are good with computers) to allow you to choose any coach seat at check in by entering a property URL string in your browser. Being a web guy I discovered this a while before making elite and always got the P seats. Now that I am elite I don't need it, but it might still work.

Gary
gldwebs,

Would very much like to learn about this trick. Can you post your trick or pm me?

lin821
Old Sep 4, 2004, 2:12 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by Quip
Well, my non-status is dead give away I don't fly NW nearly as much as 80% of the people posting here. But on my experiences on four segments on fairly full flights I've been offered exit rows and elite seating at check-in. I guess it's a YMMV thing, or they changed it.

It's always worth asking at check-in, I've flow other carriers and received exit row seats if I get to the airport early enough (usually as a result of long connections from other carriers).
If you are talking about check-in at the airport you are absolutely correct. All empty seats are up for grabs. On-line check in is sometimes a different story though. I don't know when they release the elite/exit row seats with on-line check in. They have been in a rush to make a lot of improvements to the site now that they have added that $5 fee. One of the enhancements may have knocked out the ability of non-elites to get the P seats 24 hours out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.