Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page > NW does a little extra for a superstitious flyer...

NW does a little extra for a superstitious flyer...

Old Aug 30, 04, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up NW does a little extra for a superstitious flyer...

So I was online checking my res. today for a Friday flight. Happened to notice the ticket number has the dreaded 3 sixes all in a row, smack in the middle.

Now, I'm not an overly religious or even superstitious guy, but for some reason thought...is there any way to change this? It's not a number I ask to see on my itinerary.

Call up the elite line...agent agrees...asks the super...and 10 min. later they've completely reissued the ticket. No charge.

Nice work NW. Now flame away on how meaningless this is...
Old Aug 30, 04, 1:50 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
I am glad they did this for you - but this shouldbe something they charge $7.50.
Old Aug 30, 04, 2:20 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
So I was online checking my res. today for a Friday flight. Happened to notice the ticket number has the dreaded 3 sixes all in a row, smack in the middle.

Now, I'm not an overly religious or even superstitious guy, but for some reason thought...is there any way to change this? It's not a number I ask to see on my itinerary.

Call up the elite line...agent agrees...asks the super...and 10 min. later they've completely reissued the ticket. No charge.

Nice work NW. Now flame away on how meaningless this is...
I am glad they did this to you at no extra charge. But then, isn't 666 the devil's number?

Ken
Old Aug 30, 04, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
On a blackjack table it is 18... 3 chances to lose and 1 to push. 1 chance to win if dealer busts and 1 chance to win if dealer has 17. Three 6's are OK but not as strong as a 19, 20 or 21::

I'm not flaming
Old Aug 30, 04, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I am glad they did this to you at no extra charge. But then, isn't 666 the devil's number?
It's the "Number of the beast" I'd be happy if I got three sixes. Cool info on its mathematical properties can be found here

Other, more amusing, facts about the beast are here.

I find this kind of thing just as silly/amusing as not having floor 13 in hotels. Still, it's nice that NW changed things to make you feel better.
Old Aug 31, 04, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that feel highly uncomfortable with 666 anywhere in their lives. My phone number starts with 666-XXXX. It's one of two exchanges for my town, so I don't give it much thought because everyone has it. However, when I give my phone number to other people, I often get weird looks.
Old Aug 31, 04, 8:58 am

i walked under a ladder at work the morning before my last CO flight. did i endanger everyone on board my flights by doing so?

got upgraded at check-in and the flights were perfect. i guess its becuase i walked back through the ladder backwards to reverse the curse.
Old Aug 31, 04, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
How hard would it be for all ticket issue type of companies to have a little loop in their number generating program that wouldn't allow 3 or more 6's in a row. Probably one of those things that a lot people don't care about. I know in South Carolina, many people were upset when their new auto tags were issue. The state re-issued new tags free of charge to anyone that asked.

Some people are supersticious - the others just want to be safe!
Old Aug 31, 04, 8:58 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, SPG, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
How hard would it be for all ticket issue type of companies to have a little loop in their number generating program that wouldn't allow 3 or more 6's in a row. Probably one of those things that a lot people don't care about. I know in South Carolina, many people were upset when their new auto tags were issue. The state re-issued new tags free of charge to anyone that asked.

Some people are supersticious - the others just want to be safe!
This may become problematic since superstitions are culturally based (for example, the number 4 is considered unlucky in some cultures) Which numbers do we block off? What sequences? It could become awfully complicated.

That NWA changed a reservation for a superstitious passenger is a nice courtesy; I'll bet its a rare request. If it were to become common, however, and result in significantly increased calls/requests, NWA would (IMHO) be justified in refusing or charging a fee for the service.
Old Sep 1, 04, 9:12 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, MR-PlatPrem, US-Gold, SPG-Gold
N666US is my favorite!

cerealmarketer's "666" was in the ticket number, a relatively long series of digits largely ignored by travelers. How about the Northwest 747-400 with the callsign N666US? It doesn't bother me, in fact some fellow travelers and I refer to it jokingly as Air Satan and take extra joy in flying on it, but I can't help but wonder what would happen if some jittery infrequent travelers requested reaccomodation at the gate.

N666US arrived from Boeing in 1989 and held the honor of taking Northwest's last landing at Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport. It's a 747-451 (s/n 23821).

Here's a link to some pics of N666US.
Old Sep 1, 04, 9:36 am

I'm superstitious about sitting in any row number higher than 4. You think that NW would reassign all of my seats if I asked?
Old Sep 1, 04, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
I'm superstitious about sitting in any row number higher than 4. You think that NW would reassign all of my seats if I asked?
Only on a CRJ.

Search this Thread