Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

MSP/NRT/BKK any advice or experiences? Thank you!

Old Aug 29, 04, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi every one, I just got Mrs. TRVLRZ and myself WBC from MSP to NRT then to BKK where we will pick up a regional to HKT. We will be going March of next year for 14 days and are very excited. I am a in-country road warrior and have never traveled WBC to NRT or BKK. Can any one tell us what to look forward to or give any advice that will make the trip more enjoyable?

Thank you for any assistance in this!

We are staying @ the Westin Grand Sukhumvit Hotel for a few days when we get in, then off to the Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort for 7 nights, then the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket for 3 nights and lastly back to the Royal Orchid Sheraton Towers for the last 2 nights back in Bangkok. Again if any one has any experience with these locations, please let me know.

I love free frequent traveler vacations!
Old Aug 29, 04, 10:36 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by TRVLRZ
Hi every one, I just got Mrs. TRVLRZ and myself WBC from MSP to NRT then to BKK where we will pick up a regional to HKT. We will be going March of next year for 14 days and are very excited. I am a in-country road warrior and have never traveled WBC to NRT or BKK. Can any one tell us what to look forward to or give any advice that will make the trip more enjoyable?

We are staying @ the Westin Grand Sukhumvit Hotel for a few days when we get in, then off to the Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort for 7 nights, then the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket for 3 nights and lastly back to the Royal Orchid Sheraton Towers for the last 2 nights back in Bangkok. Again if any one has any experience with these locations, please let me know.

I can recommend the Westin Grand Sukhumvit. I always try to stay there when I go to BKK. I was there on August 18-22. The Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit is directly across the street. It is supposed to be better than the Westin, but, I prefer the Westin. Thailand is my favorite place to visit. I am sure you will enjoy. If you have other questions, feel free to PM me.

-RKG
Old Aug 29, 04, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
Arrow Fly NW to NRT then Malaysia Flights NRT/KUL/HKT

I'm looking at taking a 10 day vacation at the new Conrad in Phuket in March 2005.

There is a Malaysia Flight NRT/KUL/HKT that can be ticketed as a Worldperk Award ticket.

The USA/BKK routing R/t on NW is 90K Worldperk Points/ticket in WBC.

Using NW/Malaysia is 120K Worldperk points/ticket.

I'm planing on flying into BKK on NW and returning from HKT so that itinerary will be 105K Worldperk points.

outbound cmh/dtw/nrt/bkk

Purchase one way ticket from BKK/HRT

return hkt/kul/nrt/dtw/cmh

Has anyone flown Business class on Malaysia? How is the service?

RC

Last edited by Radiocycle; Aug 29, 04 at 11:48 pm
Old Aug 29, 04, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
RC,

I'm not sure if the timing is right to fly NW into NRT and MH onwards -- I seem to recall that MH's last flight of the day leaves before you would get there.

Since this is an award flight, have you considered flying MH LAX-(TPE)-KUL-HKT? I understand you can actually get MH in F, which everyone raves about. I've only flown MH in Business, which is nice, although the seat pitch isn't as much as I'd like. Service is very nice, and the Golden Club lounge in KUL is not to be missed -- espcially if KUL-HKT is a two class flight (meaning you'd be ticketed in First, so you could use the F side of the lounge).

Conversely, I'd think you could possibly do CMH-EWR-(ARN)-KUL-HKT which might have better timing for you.

I'd do MH in F if at all possible, is what I'm saying

Steve
Old Aug 29, 04, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also get cheap flights on Air Asia from Bangkok to Phuket. It's about an hour flight, and though, it's a LCC (in the true sense of the word, no free drinks, etc), I've always had excellent service on the plane.

My family of 3 flew RT for under $100 for all of us!
Old Aug 29, 04, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
What type of ships do MH fly?

RC
Old Aug 30, 04, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
I'm looking at taking a 10 day vacation at the new Conrad in Phuket in March 2005.

There is a Malaysia Flight NRT/KUL/HKT that can be ticketed as a Worldperk Award ticket.

The USA/BKK routing R/t on NW is 90K Worldperk Points/ticket in WBC.

Using NW/Malaysia is 120K Worldperk points/ticket.

I'm planing on flying into BKK on NW and returning from HKT so that itinerary will be 105K Worldperk points.

outbound cmh/dtw/nrt/bkk

Purchase one way ticket from BKK/HRT

return hkt/kul/nrt/dtw/cmh

Has anyone flown Business class on Malaysia? How is the service?

RC
Those are some great FF mile hits. (I guess I need to call the Plat. desk and see if I can do any better?)

We were using 135 x 2 just to BKK. Living in Indiana we had to go IND/MSP/NRT/BKK.

How was the service in WBC on the MSP to NRT to BKK legs?
Old Aug 30, 04, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RKG
I can recommend the Westin Grand Sukhumvit. I always try to stay there when I go to BKK. I was there on August 18-22. The Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit is directly across the street. It is supposed to be better than the Westin, but, I prefer the Westin. Thailand is my favorite place to visit. I am sure you will enjoy. If you have other questions, feel free to PM me.

-RKG
Thank you for the heads up! How far is that Westin from BKK?

Last edited by TRVLRZ; Aug 30, 04 at 6:18 am
Old Aug 30, 04, 7:08 am

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
Those are some great FF mile hits. (I guess I need to call the Plat. desk and see if I can do any better?)

We were using 135 x 2 just to BKK. Living in Indiana we had to go IND/MSP/NRT/BKK.

How was the service in WBC on the MSP to NRT to BKK legs?
It is costing you 135K because you are rulebusting in one direction. It is 90K roundtrip in WBC if you can get it both directions at the standard level.

I recommend the upper deck now that the new WBC seats have been installed (or soon will be) and all the seats are the same.
Old Aug 30, 04, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Prem. Plat, AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Premier Plat, SPG Platinum
i flew bkk/nrt/msp on NW in June. The service was ok - pretty standard for a US carrier. The 744's I was on did NOT have the new seats yet. I have been on an a340 with the new seats and they are great. By next March you should be set with the new seats.

Service was efficient. Use seatguru.com to pick your seats - the nose cone seats are the best imho.

All said - I would fly them again even thoung my NRT/MSP leg was delayed 3 hours for Mechanical resons -- and this ALWAYS worries me on NW because of the age of hteir aicraft. I am 34 -- I think most of their planes are older than me.
Old Aug 30, 04, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile lucky you!

awesome trip! i've only ever done in it in coach! tolerable there, so WBC should be ok!

i would recommend thai airways to hkt - as there are lots of flights each day, you can usually get the tix last minute, once you arrive in bkk. our hotel concierge booked ours for us - very easy. the flight is short, plane is nice (airbus, i recall), and you even get a little meal.

all of the hotels (i'm generalizing here) are pretty far from bkk - i would say 30-45 minutes. but because the flights get in late at night, it's no problem. unless the hotel car is coming for you, i would recommend the "limo" service at the airport. limo = camry in bkk. 10x nicer than the little blue/red or green/yellow taxis but costing maybe $8-9. well worth it. plus, the drivers seem a little more sane.

i love bkk and the andaman coast. you'll have a GREAT time!!! (envy!)

-curl
Old Aug 30, 04, 8:08 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by jhawk
i flew bkk/nrt/msp on NW in June. The service was ok - pretty standard for a US carrier. The 744's I was on did NOT have the new seats yet. I have been on an a340 with the new seats and they are great. By next March you should be set with the new seats.
Flew NRT-MSP in early August. This 744 did have the new "pod" seats in WBC. Nice. My only complaint, sitting in 1B, is that the closet door in the nose wouldn't lock in the closed position and would swing open at various times during the flight (take off, landing, any patch of rough weather).
Old Aug 30, 04, 8:19 am

Thank you for the heads up! How far is that Westin from BKK?

The Westin and Sheraton are across the street from each other. Both are fantastic hotels. I prefer the Sheraton, but usually stay at the Westin. (About a $30/night difference) As a Starwood Plat, I've always gotten a suite upgrade at the Westin.

If you like diving, I highly recommend a day trip out to the Similan Islands from either Phuket or Khao Lak. (Khao Lak is a 1 hour drive from Phuket. Not quite as touristy)

CVGJSG
SQ PPS NW Plat DL Gold Startwood Plat
Old Aug 30, 04, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never flown NW, but I do go to BKK a fair bit.

You might want to consider getting the hotel to arrange a car for you. IIRC the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit charges about USD30 for a Mercedes and some who meets you in the arrivals hall, shepherds you to the car and concludes with in room check in. Worth it if you are unfamiliar with Bangkok, likely to be jetlagged or fancy a touch of luxury. The Westin offers something similar. Both the Sheraton and Westin are good hotels, well situated for the Skytrain, Subway and the delights of Sukhumvit Rd - which has sone great bars and restaurants.

I am less fond of the Royal Orchid. However for a couple of days it is fine and the riverside location is change to Sukhumvit. Do make sure you do a dinner river tour. IMHO the link below takes you to the best people.

http://www.loynava.com/

A day trip on the river is great as well. Make sure you tick off all the usual tourist sights - the temples never fail to inspire. Bangkok is a fantastic city, though if you haven't visited Asia before it may come as something of a shock - it is big, busy, hot, smelly but lots of fun.

I would agree with comment about using Thai to get to HKT. Domestic business class fares are not much more than economy. If you pick your flight right you can get a international F seat on 747 along with lounge access at both ends. Worth the extra $$$.

Any specific Q's. feel free to PM me.
Old Aug 30, 04, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I've never flown NW, but I do go to BKK a fair bit.

You might want to consider getting the hotel to arrange a car for you. IIRC the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit charges about USD30 for a Mercedes and some who meets you in the arrivals hall, shepherds you to the car and concludes with in room check in. Worth it if you are unfamiliar with Bangkok, likely to be jetlagged or fancy a touch of luxury. The Westin offers something similar. Both the Sheraton and Westin are good hotels, well situated for the Skytrain, Subway and the delights of Sukhumvit Rd - which has sone great bars and restaurants.

Good point on the car. Another option is the ISO 9000 Stand as you exit the airport. Its ~ 15 USD for a car that isn't quite as nice. Still avoids most of the hassel. If you don't know a bit of Thai, regular taxi's can be tough.
(If you want to try a taxi, its Westin Hotel, "Sukhumvit Soi Sip Gao"

Two other great suggestions near the Sheraton/Westin for food:
Restaurants:
Anna's Garden - Nice outdoor restaurant.
Thong Lo BTS Stop, Go down Soi Thong Lo about 1/2 mile. Will be on left side. English Sign but a bit hard to read.

Zanzibar - 139 Soi 11 Indoor/Outdoor, Live Band
Excellent Crab in Black Pepper Sauce, BBQ Beef Starter

Last edited by CVGJSG; Aug 30, 04 at 2:29 pm

Search this Thread