Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Buy Y fare on AS, lose 150% WP EQM if upgraded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2004, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

I recently took a trip on AS and purchased a Y fare so I could use the WP platinum elite complimentary upgrade with guaranteed seating in first class at time of reservation. It was more expensive than the discounted fare of course (by $150), and I looked on the NW website to see if I'd get 100% EQM or 150% EQM. The website said AS Y fares give you 150% EQM.

Well, when the miles posted to NW, I only had 100% EQM and it was posted I had paid/flown "U" fare. The CSR explained to me that when you upgrade on AS (even if it's from the expensive Y fare), you are shown as having purchased and flown a "U" fare on AS -- which only gives you 100% EQM on NW and not 150%!. I did get elite qualifying segments, but I was more interested in the EQM.

It seems odd that you lose your extra EQM if you upgrade, even though you spent extra money, but if you have a Y ticket and sit in coach you'd get 150%! Is this because NW has to pay AS for the complimentary upgrades they give NW platinums flying AS metal, so they therefore give you less EQM to somehow make up for it?

Anyone ever gotten 150% EQM flying AS and having been upgraded?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ermdjdsj
The CSR explained to me that when you upgrade on AS (even if it's from the expensive Y fare), you are shown as having purchased and flown a "U" fare on AS -- which only gives you 100% EQM on NW and not 150%!
And you bought that answer?

Tell them you don't care what their computer shows, you bought what you bought, and want the proper credit for it. They need to fix their computers...
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:27 am

NW (and most airlines) award mileage bonuses (and therefore EQMs) based on the class of service purchased, not flown. If you book a full Y and then upgrade, you are still entitled to your 150% EQMs. If only 100% EQMs post, then hold onto your receipt and submit to the WP your request for 150% EQMs to credit to your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.