Standby, same-day, no status, allowed?

Old Aug 26, 04, 10:08 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Standby, same-day, no status, allowed?

Does NW allow a no NW status customer to fly standby for an earlier flight(s) on the outbound?

FWIW, I'm flying ORD-MSP-DEN
Old Aug 26, 04, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, RC Silver
In short, yes. Usually not a problem, unless you possibly have some sort of ticket that specifically prohibits standby.

I think there are lots of threads on it here in this forum. I'm pretty sure, too, that if you are successful on standing by for the initial segment of your itin, that NW will usually go ahead and confirm you on the connecting leg of your itin.
Old Aug 26, 04, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL/Silver, CX/DM, SPG/Plat
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Does NW allow a no NW status customer to fly standby for an earlier flight(s) on the outbound?

FWIW, I'm flying ORD-MSP-DEN
Yes, most of the time they will let you standby for the same date departure. They even can change the routing if they want. One time I was suppose to be on BOS-DTW-SFO, they put me to an earlier flight BOS-MSP-SFO.

I think the standby is regardless of status.

Good luck!
Old Aug 26, 04, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by wjm7733
I'm pretty sure, too, that if you are successful on standing by for the initial segment of your itin, that NW will usually go ahead and confirm you on the connecting leg of your itin.
It's a function of the load. If the second segment is wide open, sure. If it's pretty full, they may make you sweat it out in the connecting city.
Old Aug 27, 04, 12:32 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Anyone may standby for any SAME DAY flight, either before or after the original flight. If you are unsuccessful your ticket is basically useless the next day. Technically status has no role on the standy list, it is supposed to be first come first served. Flights are very full these days, I would call reservations and ask the night before. Just because seats are available for sale does not mean that the flight is not already oversold. I just called to inquire on some flights that were showing F2 Y6 and F2 Y4 and they are both oversold, the first one by 6 the second by 9 and still selling seats. I decided to catch the flight I am ticketed on.
Old Aug 27, 04, 1:02 am

Cool

Originally Posted by channa
It's a function of the load.
It usually is (as it should be) but on several occasion my connecting flight has been confirmed without me actually standingby for it -- and then the gate agents went begging for volunteers...
Old Aug 27, 04, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
If you are unsuccessful your ticket is basically useless the next day.
Not necessarily. You’ll be charged the change fee should you desire to depart the next day... but in my experiences, as long as you’ve made an effort to standby for a couple previous flights, it will be waived (but, of course, this applies to those who’ve missed their scheduled flight).

Technically status has no role on the standy list, it is supposed to be first come first served.
Elites are suppose to be able to standby for First Class... of course, that doesn't stop the LAS gate agents from offering excess F seats for sale before confirming the elites.......

Just because seats are available for sale does not mean that the flight is not already oversold.
Very true. Not too long ago I purchased a one-way ticket to LAS less than forty minutes before the departure (after missing my charter flight). I thought I was lucky when I was able to get the ticket for $79 (NK pricematch) -- but then I volunteered and got a $200 TCV...
Old Aug 27, 04, 1:15 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Originally Posted by Bagels
It usually is (as it should be) but on several occasion my connecting flight has been confirmed without me actually standingby for it -- and then the gate agents went begging for volunteers...

I love it when this happens. I've taken the bump $$ and flown on my original scheduled flight 3 times that I can remember.
Old Aug 27, 04, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
Technically status has no role on the standy list, it is supposed to be first come first served. Flights are very full these days, I would call reservations and ask the night before.
That is not true. If flights are full, then there's a standby list, and elites get priority on this list. I've moved from the middle to the top of the standby list instantly with the addition of an elite FF number.
Old Aug 27, 04, 3:38 am

Programs: DL, AA
Yes you can do this. I've had instances of instead of connecting thru DTW I've gone standby and got on an earlier direct flight back to MSP.

Just make sure to get there early, if possible, and they will be more than willing to accomodate you. Provided that there is space, of course.
Old Aug 27, 04, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.
Old Aug 27, 04, 7:08 pm

Same day stand-by (earlier or later flights) is allowed, unless prohibited by the fare rules.

But, I have had mixed results/responses. Back in June 2001, when I tried this at Green Bay, WI, they said NO, outbound cannot be changed, only the return. Never a problem at hubs MSP/DTW/IAH etc. One time in IAH, an NW agent (presumably new) said a $100 change fee is involved for the outbound! But a polite request to check with her supervisor or an experienced agent got the stand-by for me free! So, keep asking till you get what you want.
Old Aug 27, 04, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by keithguy
That is not true. If flights are full, then there's a standby list, and elites get priority on this list.
Perhaps an NW employee can clarify their airline's policy. On my last two attempts to standby for a later flight after missing my earlier flight, one in April and the other in June, I did not receive priority even though I'm an elite. In both incidents I was told that I could continue to standby the next day for no additional charge since I had made an effort to standby for one flight, and my missing my flight was preceived as unintentional (I did just that one time, and purchased a ticket on another airline the other).

NW Customer Relations sent me a written response indicating standby was first come, first serve and elites received priority by having the option to standby for First Class. Yet in LAS they would rather sell those empty seats...
Old Aug 28, 04, 3:03 am

I'm not an NW employee, but I'm pretty sure there is a complex formula for determining standby list priority that looks first to the reason pax are standing by (flight cancelled, pax got to airport late, pax wants to hop an earlier flight, etc.), then at factors like fare class and maybe elite status.

I believe, for example, that a no-status pax on a cheap fare who missed a connection or whose earlier flight was cancelled by NW will receive higher priority than a Plat on a cheap fare who wants to hop an earlier flight than scheduled. Plats and maybe golds may receive some standby priority over no-status pax standing by for the same reason on the same fare, but I don't think silvers get any priority.
Old Sep 1, 04, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah
I'm not an NW employee, but I'm pretty sure there is a complex formula for determining standby list priority that looks first to the reason pax are standing by (flight cancelled, pax got to airport late, pax wants to hop an earlier flight, etc.), then at factors like fare class and maybe elite status.
None of those came into play as the four legs of my flights were under 50% full. Amazing how light the loads were.

Obviously flying standby was not a problem at all.

Each gate and ticket agent were as pleasant as could be, nice experience.

Search this Thread