How to find retired WBC seats

Old Aug 17, 04, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Location: SFO (sometimes TVL), NYC, CHI but nowhere in between.
Programs: NW Gold
How to find retired WBC seats

What do airlines do with old seats that cannot be resold to another airline? I would LOVE to get a pair of old WBC seats for my living room.
Old Aug 17, 04, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Columbia04
What do airlines do with old seats that cannot be resold to another airline? I would LOVE to get a pair of old WBC seats for my living room.
It's probably been twenty years, but a small surplus store in St. Paul, Minn. used to sell sets of NW seats -- AxMan Surplus stores. They have a www site -- www.ax-man.com, but no list of merchandise.
Good luck.
tom
Old Aug 17, 04, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by mot29
It's probably been twenty years, but a small surplus store in St. Paul, Minn. used to sell sets of NW seats -- AxMan Surplus stores. They have a www site -- www.ax-man.com, but no list of merchandise.
Good luck.
tom
I was thinking that a pair of the WBC seats would be cool to have in a video room or home theatre. Wow, it would be neat if you could rewire and hook up the personal video monitors in the seat to your home system, well, perhaps to much work. - H
Old Aug 17, 04, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Several years ago, I heard a story about a high-mileage DL customer getting his hands on one of DL's Business Elite seats. A DL employee in Tampa confirmed the story for me (apparently the fellow lived in the TPA area), but I have no idea if the tale is really true.

As I heard the story, someone in Marketing thought that giving this DL customer a Biz-E seat (tricked out as a recliner) would be a great publicity stunt, so such a chair was made and was shipped to the customer. Now, your mileage may vary on this, but the message I get from this is "we don't think you spend nearly enough time in our seats, so here's one to park your butt in on those rare occasions when you're actually home, fella."

Old Aug 17, 04, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Hummm, maybe their is an oppourtunity for Russ & Beth to do an auction for some sort to use some of your un-used miles to bid on a pair of WBC seats?
Old Aug 17, 04, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-18
It sounds nice, but probably not....

After so many flights, and so many people, I don't know why anyone would want a WBC seats. Keep in mind that thousands of WBC passengers have farted on them, spilled things,.... and select few might have gotten sick on them, etc. I think it would be a hygienic thing. (I wonder why the fabric is dark blue?!) Plus it won't come with the entertainment system active.

It seems like a good idea, but then again, no thanks.

Jiburi '04
Old Aug 17, 04, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jiburi
Keep in mind that thousands of WBC passengers have farted on them...
Is this from personal experience.....

I agree with jiburi. Unless you're getting brand new but of the old variety of WBC seats, I'd opt to buy an iJoy or something.

aloha
Old Aug 17, 04, 4:59 pm
Original Member

Well, that is a good point....but as a parent, I've been puked on, peed on, ---- on, had just-sucked thumbs stuck in my mouth...well, you get the picture.

So, that wouldn't bother me...the seat is probably in better shape than *I* am!!

(Probably has less mileage, too!)
Old Aug 18, 04, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Plat/UA Silver/MR Lifetime PP/Avis Pref Sel
There were a couple of L-1011 FC seats auctioned on e-bay about a month ago. I think the winning bid was around $600. For miscellaneous parts, check out http://flytristar.tripod.com/page/market.html
Old Aug 18, 04, 12:34 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by mot29
Good luck.
tom
I was in there a few weeks ago and they had a bunch of AA and NW silverware, dinnerware and serving trays, but I didn't see any seats.

Search this Thread