FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   SMF: Lack of Non Stop to Detroit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/346585-smf-lack-non-stop-detroit.html)

SMF777 Aug 16, 2004 10:44 am

SMF: Lack of Non Stop to Detroit

Does Northwest Airlines have plans to expand service to Sacramento nonstop from its hub at Detroit? All they would need is one inbound and one outbound on an A320 in order to transport SMF pax to connect to Europe and the return from Detroit to connect from Europe! The route has not been flown and the MSP-SMF loads are always incredible. Often times there is a third daily flight in the market all using the A320 aircraft!

Sacramento, can offer Northwest Airlines connections to other airline partners:

Alaska Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines
Horizon Airlines

It is just a thought - One worth inquiring about!

tubeman Aug 16, 2004 10:54 am

I agree it would be great, but at what cost. It's cheaper by $200 to fly into SMF via MSP from DTW than into SFO direct. Shhhhhhh, let's not tell them.

Tubeman

JerryFF Aug 16, 2004 11:30 am

It's the same situation from several Calif airports, including both SJC and ONT. There used to be a nonstop from SJC but it's been off and on over the past several years.

Radiocycle Aug 16, 2004 1:47 pm

THE MSP service to SMF is OK

I fly into SMF from CMH every 2-3 months and NW has reliable service via MSP.

It is a small NW station and doesn't warrant n/s service from MEM or DTW.

Maybe if traffic increases Nw will add MEm and DTW.

USCGamecock Aug 17, 2004 8:36 am

When you live in a spoke city, all you can do is make the connection.

sllevin Aug 17, 2004 12:34 pm

I really wish SJC would get DTW service back. Especially since we are perpetually bombarded by tight connections made tighter by the times when the inbound flight is late...which compounds the issue. DTW is much quicker to get around...

Steve

SMF777 Aug 17, 2004 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
When you live in a spoke city, all you can do is make the connection.

Just so you know, this spoke city (Sacramento) has nearly 200 flights a day!

SMF777 Aug 17, 2004 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
I fly into SMF from CMH every 2-3 months and NW has reliable service via MSP.

It is a small NW station and doesn't warrant n/s service from MEM or DTW.

Maybe if traffic increases Nw will add MEm and DTW.

Review rhe above statement and then consider this: You have used the term "small". Consider the following Sky Team and associate traffic in the SMF market-

Alaska Airlines to Portland, Seattle
approx 7 daily flights

America West Airlines to Las Vegas, Phoenix
approx 8 daily flights

Continental Airlines to Houston, Newark
approx 4 daily flights

Delta Airlines to Atlanta, Salt Lake City
approx 7 daily flights

Hawaiian Airlines to Honolulu
1 daily flight

Horizon Airlines to Boise, Palm Springs, Portland
approx 6 daily flights

channa Aug 17, 2004 1:58 pm

I don't think it's an issue of volume. Sacramento has some very strong population growth, and the SMF-MSP flights tend to be full, but I'm not sure the revenue is there to support it with all the low fares out of SMF.

It's probably the same reason we don't see NW serving OAK, and we probably won't see them starting up OAK service anytime soon.

jaward Apr 17, 2010 10:32 am

Non stop service from Sacramento to Detroit has already begun. 5 nights a week and supposed to go to 7 by Summer.

xliioper Apr 26, 2010 12:18 am

Originally Posted by jaward (Post 13789848)
Non stop service from Sacramento to Detroit has already begun. 5 nights a week and supposed to go to 7 by Summer.

Oops, nevermind. I can't read.