RJ-85s now flying ORD-MSP

Old Aug 14, 04, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
RJ-85s now flying ORD-MSP

I just received a schedule change for a trip in late November.

My 10 a.m. flight from ORD to MSP has been switched from a DC-9 to a Avro Aerospace Regional Jet RJ-85 operated by Mesaba Aviation.
Old Aug 14, 04, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat
The ARJ is a wonderful plane. Could be a lot worse -- one of the much smaller regional jets (with no FC).

Or even worse ... until a few years ago, AA flew nothing but small turbo props from ORD (their primary hub) to MSP !
Old Aug 14, 04, 2:11 pm

NW (well, Mesaba) has been operating the ARJ between MSP/ORD for awhile.

…until a few years ago, AA flew nothing but small turbo props from ORD (their primary hub) to MSP !
ORD is not AA’s primary hub; DFW is. Atlantic services aside, it’s about ½ the size of UA’s operation as well as NW’s at DTW and significantly smaller than DL’s CVG.

MSP/CHI is one of the country’s most served (and possibly/probably over served) routes with about 50 daily flights in each direction. Interestingly, AA had planned to replace most of its F100 on the route with CR7, making it a mostly RJ operation but now their fall schedule shows a single CR7 and nine MD80. This is amusing when you consider that AA sources told several publications the route frequented a 40-60% LF depending on the day/time of year, and now they’re increasing capacity…
Old Aug 14, 04, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
The 10am ORD/MSP flight has been an ARJ for at least a couple of months now. Also 2 of the 3 ORD/MEM flights are ARJ's.
Old Aug 14, 04, 5:14 pm

Location: Oklahoma City, OK - NWA Gold - AA Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Gold
Programs: NW, CO, WN, HH
I fly ARJ twice a week (OKC>DTW/MSP/MEM) and actually prefer those over the DC9 20/30/40 A/Cs. Opinions will differ, but this is a decent A/C to fly on.
Old Aug 14, 04, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Plat.(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
RJ-85 ok. CRJ- no way.

This is still one of NW's most profitable routes to my knowledge.

Search this Thread