Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Upstairs or Downstairs WBC Seats? Why?

Old May 25, 04, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG

Started to do online check in tonight and see that I have a choice of changing my seat to several open options. Which do you prefer? Upstairs or downstairs WBC seats? Which ones, and why?
Old May 25, 04, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upstairs!

Fewer people, more intimate atmosphere, quieter, side bins in window seat.
Old May 25, 04, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick input. I'm on the check in screen now and the only available upstairs seats are the exit rows which must be good ....my first time flying international in WBC, so I appreciate the input. Right now I am assigned downstairs in 2A. I guess that's the old FC seats.
Old May 26, 04, 2:40 am

Programs: Delta murdered it. RIP WorldPerks
Upstairs is my vote

There are several excellent seats upstairs, e.g. 73 A&B and the entire 77 exit row. I really like the storage bins on the side; you can put a ton of stuff in there, and it will be close by and easy to get to without having to get up. I've sat in 1K and 2C downstairs but didn't notice any of the extra legroom, etc. that some claim. Also I've had some really excellent service upstairs. The mini-cabin upstairs didn't feel nearly as cramped as you think it might be (when you look at the 747 from the outside the "bubble" doesn't look that big) and in fact felt as roomy as downstairs.

Rows 73 through 80 are highly recommended.
Old May 26, 04, 4:04 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Boy you are up early! I am at CMH myself with this great WI FI service.

I always have a difficult time deciding myself. The pro's to downstairs are slightly larger seats and getting off the airplane first. This is a plus if you have carryon baggage and can get to customs before the hoards. Sometimes, it seems dark and dingy upstairs. If you are not in a window seat, getting to the side luggage cabinets can be a pain.

On the other hand, it can be nice a cozy, and more intimate upstairs, especially with the 200.

So, my rule is, if I have luggage, upstairs by the window, especially a 747 200. If I have carryons, 2 B.
Old May 26, 04, 9:56 am
mdb

For me upstairs!!

Feels like a separate more private aircraft.
Old May 26, 04, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I recently flew NRT-DTW in 77. Very nice seat (although crew was dissapointingly disinterested). Enough space to get in and out withouit distrubing aisle pax, the ledge and locker. Very, very nice...
Old May 26, 04, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Good to hear!

I will be in 77K tomorrow.
Old May 26, 04, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
If it's 6307 tell the seat "hello" from me
Old May 26, 04, 11:43 am

Location: Oklahoma City, OK - NWA Gold - AA Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Gold
Programs: NW, CO, WN, HH
If you don't mind me threadjacking real quick, do you all fly WBC via paid fare, upgrade, or reward redemption? I'm just wanting to know how b/c I would like to take my GF overseas for our honeymoon if/when we get hitched.
Old May 26, 04, 12:00 pm

I've flown WBC on awards and (once) on an opup. I'm just a poor civil servant. (well, I'm not that civil, but that's another thread...)
Old May 26, 04, 12:08 pm

Location: Oklahoma City, OK - NWA Gold - AA Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Gold
Programs: NW, CO, WN, HH
GOLD, JERRY! GOLD!
I need to do some research on old threads where I can find the possibility or the rules on upgrading on transcon flights. But it sounds fun. I swear I've flown 6 different lines this year and will most likely stick with Northwest just because of their "what have you done for me lately" mentality. I think it works for most loyal paxs.
Old May 26, 04, 12:21 pm
mdb

Originally Posted by TopDawg4OU
If you don't mind me threadjacking real quick, do you all fly WBC via paid fare, upgrade, or reward redemption? I'm just wanting to know how b/c I would like to take my GF overseas for our honeymoon if/when we get hitched.
All the above.....

...but the highest I have ever actually paid for is a "z" fare never J
Old May 26, 04, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM; CO Plat
1a

Originally Posted by rmyadsk
There are several excellent seats upstairs, e.g. 73 A&B and the entire 77 exit row. I really like the storage bins on the side; you can put a ton of stuff in there, and it will be close by and easy to get to without having to get up. I've sat in 1K and 2C downstairs but didn't notice any of the extra legroom, etc. that some claim. Also I've had some really excellent service upstairs. The mini-cabin upstairs didn't feel nearly as cramped as you think it might be (when you look at the 747 from the outside the "bubble" doesn't look that big) and in fact felt as roomy as downstairs.

Rows 73 through 80 are highly recommended.

Ive never sat downstairs in 1A.. my brother is in 1B?

Good seats, bad seats? Anybody know?

Its an LAX-NRT flight 742 aircraft?

Thanks,
-milerunner
Old May 26, 04, 2:14 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec
For me - there's 73A and then there's every other seat

Had seat73A on all four segments last week JFK-NRT-BKK-NRT-JFk.

3 of 4 New WBC. (NRT - JFK did not)

Seat 73A has the best of both worlds. It's a window seat (4 windows) but you have 10 feet between you and the felt cockpit wall. Which means even if 73B is fully reclined, there is still 5 feet between his feet and the cockpit wall. Even I can fit through that space (6'1, 260).

My take on downstairs? With the new WBC, all the seats are the same configuration - no more old first class makes downstairs an also-ran.

And a downstairs FA who was taking a break by the rear galley upstairs put it best during our quick conversation:

"It's so quiet up here. It's a zoo downstairs. It's ALWAYS a zoo downstairs."

Was he talking about Economy or Business? Didn't matter to me!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: