Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Upstairs or Downstairs WBC Seats? Why?

Upstairs or Downstairs WBC Seats? Why?

Old May 26, 2004, 3:45 pm

I've flown Z and also upgraded B fares. Z is about as far as I want to go in price, as I am the one paying.

I haven't been able to get seats on top in time, and have mostly enjoyed the 2nd row downstairs. Nice to get off first when you have a tight connection, and as I have generous carry-ons I'd prefer not to haul them upstairs.
Old May 26, 2004, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by TopDawg4OU
If you don't mind me threadjacking real quick, do you all fly WBC via paid fare, upgrade, or reward redemption? I'm just wanting to know how b/c I would like to take my GF overseas for our honeymoon if/when we get hitched.
I have been on WBC three times, once on J ($7,800), once on Z ($1,800), once on upgrade from B ($1,600) using 50,000 miles round trip.

My family members have been on WBC twice, all on standard award (D).
Old May 26, 2004, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I prefer Upstairs on the 747-200

I've flown upstairs on the 200, and it's like a different plane. Plenty of bin space and the service is better, since there are only 12 pax.

I don't worry about getting off first, if it's a 12 hour flight I really care more about comfort in the plane than rushing through customs.

Have a great trip.

RC
Old May 31, 2004, 10:20 pm

No upstairs for me!!

I am taking my first ever NW flights next week LAX-NRT-HKG, then TPE-NRT, and NRT-LAX. I booked a paid Z class business seat about 3 months ago. At the time I was told that upstairs was sold out on all 3 747 segments (the TPE-NRT is a 757). The agent suggested that I call back intermittently because seat assignments do frequently change as people change plans. I have done so, but still no upstairs seats at all on any of the 3 747 segments.

I am a Gold Medallion on DL, soon to be Platinum. Since DL doesn't fly the 747, I don't often get to do so. I have flown a 747 3 or 4 times, but never upstairs, so was hoping to do so this time. Guess it won't happen. The agent today suggested that I ask at the airport because one seat on the NRT-HKG was "held for airport use" (whatever that means). He said he could not assign that seat, but the airport on the day of travel could do so.

I am currently in seats 2B LAX-NRT, 2B NRT-HKG, and 3B for NRT-LAX. I take it from this thread that the 2B seats are good for downstairs seats??
Old May 31, 2004, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've not flown upstairs on NW's 747's, but I have on other airlines. I *much* prefer the nose on the NW machines -- there's a reason that three-class airlines have first class in the nose!

Steve
Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoc
I am taking my first ever NW flights next week LAX-NRT-HKG, then TPE-NRT, and NRT-LAX. I booked a paid Z class business seat about 3 months ago. At the time I was told that upstairs was sold out on all 3 747 segments (the TPE-NRT is a 757). The agent suggested that I call back intermittently because seat assignments do frequently change as people change plans. I have done so, but still no upstairs seats at all on any of the 3 747 segments.

I am a Gold Medallion on DL, soon to be Platinum. Since DL doesn't fly the 747, I don't often get to do so. I have flown a 747 3 or 4 times, but never upstairs, so was hoping to do so this time. Guess it won't happen. The agent today suggested that I ask at the airport because one seat on the NRT-HKG was "held for airport use" (whatever that means). He said he could not assign that seat, but the airport on the day of travel could do so.

I am currently in seats 2B LAX-NRT, 2B NRT-HKG, and 3B for NRT-LAX. I take it from this thread that the 2B seats are good for downstairs seats??
You should be able to get upstair seats on the day of departure. Try to call or check in early. I have never had a problem with that.

For the old WBC, rows 2,3,4 have a lot of more legroom. I absolutely love these seats. However, for the new WBC, some FTs have reported that it is no longer the case. I have booked July trip to Shanghai in WBC and one of the segment is 2AB. So I will find out if this is true assuming the plane has new WBC seats.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:38 am

Thanks for the information. All of these flights are on 747-200s, so I assume that they all will have the old WBC seating (??). Seems like I read somewhere, probably on this board, that the 747-200s would not be changed to the new WBC. Anyway, thanks for the information. Sounds like I have great seats and I'm looking forward to flying NW. DL is going downhill in such a major way that I may be looking for a new carrier soon!!
Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:50 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by FlyingDoc
Thanks for the information. All of these flights are on 747-200s
That's why you can't get seats on the upper deck... those seats are reserved for NW Elites... you might be able to score them by checking in on-line... or get to the airport early.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
That's why you can't get seats on the upper deck... those seats are reserved for NW Elites... you might be able to score them by checking in on-line... or get to the airport early.
I thought so. I don't have any status on NW, in fact, these will be the first time I've ever flown on NW. I've had various elite levels on DL for several years. The NW connections out of my home city have always been much more limited than DL and AA, thus most of my flying has been on those airlines. Given the sad deterioration of Delta over the past 3-4 years and what I've read here about NW, I am really looking forward to giving NW a try.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM
when can I make seat reservations?

Not to be stupid or anything, but I fly Delta :-(...

When can I get seat assignments for a JFK-NRT flight that is in 3/05?

I want to try to get that 73A and B seats for my hubby and I for our 10th anniversary... Got my res already, but no seat assignments.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Lisa Flyer
Not to be stupid or anything, but I fly Delta :-(...

When can I get seat assignments for a JFK-NRT flight that is in 3/05?

I want to try to get that 73A and B seats for my hubby and I for our 10th anniversary... Got my res already, but no seat assignments.
Exactly 90 days before your departure. Never before.
But seats like 10AB (or is it 9AB that's so good?) and 73AB are often blocked out ahead of time--I had none of those available on my four flights LAX-NRT-MNL-NRT-LAX 90 days ahead. However, they are often available at the 36-hour internet check-in window.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:10 pm

73ab/10ab

I have recently learned this from this forum, but the seats such as 73AB and 10AB on 747-400 appear blocked when looking at the seating chart on nwa.com, but they are usually available. All you have to do is to call and ask for those seats. I learned about this from one of the earlier threads in this forum, and I got 73AB for me and my wife for both directions of MSP-NRT, even though the seating chart on nwa.com had shown them to be occupied. Those seats are reserved for accessibility, but are available to take if they have not yet been taken by real pax (vs. computer).

One thing that I am not sure of is whether or not you have to be an Elite to do this. Does anyone know? I called the Elite line.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacksan1
I have recently learned this from this forum, but the seats such as 73AB and 10AB on 747-400 appear blocked when looking at the seating chart on nwa.com, but they are usually available. All you have to do is to call and ask for those seats. I learned about this from one of the earlier threads in this forum, and I got 73AB for me and my wife for both directions of MSP-NRT, even though the seating chart on nwa.com had shown them to be occupied. Those seats are reserved for accessibility, but are available to take if they have not yet been taken by real pax (vs. computer).

One thing that I am not sure of is whether or not you have to be an Elite to do this. Does anyone know? I called the Elite line.
I did exactly the same thing, grabbing 73AB on DTW-NRT-PVG (both directions) for my July-August trip by calling elite line. You must be an elite to get preferred seats for you and your companion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.