DEN/LAX Triple miles question

Old May 14, 2004, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
Question DEN/LAX Triple miles question

I read/heard that W/P negates the triple miles if you have a separate ticket out of LAX with in 4 hrs. I'm flying DEN/LAX 19 May arr 1151 then out of LAX to MLI via MEM at 1245. Will I get the fickle finger? How to prevent this? Put in bogus W/P # at checkin for the LAX/MEM/MLI legs? Ideas please. Also rtn on 24 May MLI/MSP/LAX arr Lax 1607, Dpt Lax/Den 1800. Thanks, Poppabear
Old May 14, 2004, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Re-read the terms and conditions carefully. IIRC, the NW Triple EQM LAX-DEN deal out there ISN'T the one where NW got really weird. The one they got really weird on is Triple EQM LAX-MSP. THAT one you can't fly ANY airplane on 4 hours of either end of your non-stop LAX-MSP.
Old May 15, 2004, 7:29 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319435

And there is no LAX-MSP triple eqm offer.
Old May 15, 2004, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Thanks, UpgradeMe, I was wrong on the LAX-MSP run. It is only double miles, not triple.

I have searched and searched for the thread I was thinking of. Can't find it. But I do have a little more info from Mileage Run:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310651

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319206

Also, from the nwa site:

LAX/DEN Triple (may be EQM, depending on what your screen says when you register)
3) Qualifying travel must occur after registration and be completed not later than June 30, 2004. Qualifying travel must be on a paid published fare. Travel must be on non-stop flights between Los Angeles and Denver on Northwest operated flights 1-1999 and must make-up entire itinerary. Travel on flights between Los Angeles and Denver that include a connection from another flight do not qualify for this promotion. Example, MSP-DEN-LAX itinerary does not qualify.

Clearly, in the thread UpgradeMe pointed us to, the interpretation by the NW CSR is that a connection to any flight that day disqualified the promo. But that is an interpretation of the rule (and they ARE the ultimate interpreter of the rules!). BUT the rules for this promo don't say that. They refer to a connection on this itinerary.

Again, IIRC (which I can't prove), the LAX-MSP Double Mile promo says in the promo rules the RT has to be non-stop, LAX-MSP only, and then goes on to say no other flights on any plane for 4 hours either side.

I would honor the rules, but I think the CSR interpretation for the LAX-DEN rules are really applying to the LAX-MSP offer, and are not how the computer is treating the LAX-DEN offer.

Read the rules of your promo carefully. If you want to be entirely safe, send your own email request for interpretation in to NW, and use it as your private letter ruling to try to get what you want.
Old May 16, 2004, 8:48 am

Question

My husband and I, who I had to drag along, are flying out June 5 and returning same day on this itinerary: MSP - LAX, LAX - DEN, DEN - LAX, LAX - MSP. Two separate tickets. All segments within 4 hours of each other. I am only doing this to get the triple EQM on the Denver segments not the double miles from MSP-LAX although we are registered for both. I re-read the T/C I printed out at the time of registration on 4/4 and I do not see anything regarding 4 hour restrictions on either promotion. What am I missing here? From what I understand reading the posts I should not be in jeopardy of missing the 3 EQM only the double MSP-LAX bonus miles. Is this correct? If not I am dead meat from my husbands point of view.

Has anyone completed a MR on this type of itinerary before and what was the posted miles outcome?

Thanks,

Gwen

Last edited by ges123; May 16, 2004 at 8:52 am
Old May 16, 2004, 9:08 am

Has anyone completed a MR on this type of itinerary before and what was the posted miles outcome?
Have you read my posts in the linked thread?
Old May 16, 2004, 10:00 am

Programs: Skyteam, *A, 1W
ges123, to second what UpgradeMe said, under NW's rules, any flights within 4 hours is considered a connection. Therefore, in NW's view (or should I say system), your MSP-LAX and LAX-DEN segments are really considered as MSP-DEN with a connection in LAX.
I learned that lesson the hard way last year.
Old May 16, 2004, 11:01 am

Thanks to all who responded to my question. Rats, Rats, Rats. I bought my tickets before this thread was started. I had not seen any earlier thread that had mentioned this or I would have changed my itinerary. When I read the t/c I thought it only applied to one ticket and so thought it would not apply if it was msp-lax-msp and lax-den-lax issued tickets.
Old May 16, 2004, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Infinity
ges123, to second what UpgradeMe said, under NW's rules, any flights within 4 hours is considered a connection. Therefore, in NW's view (or should I say system), your MSP-LAX and LAX-DEN segments are really considered as MSP-DEN with a connection in LAX.
I learned that lesson the hard way last year.
Actually, if you read my e-mail exchange with NW, NW claims that any flight the same day will void the bonus. But being the optimistic guy that I am, I rebooked a two-hour "connection" to become a six-hour "connection," with the hope that the computer doesn't treat it as a "connection."
Old May 16, 2004, 5:57 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
I did both of these on Easter Sunday: flew red-eye LAX-MSP rtrip, then LAX-DEN rtrip. Flew UA to/fro LAX. Miles including dble posted nxt day for LAX-MSP, but no mention of DEN rtrip. Called few days later and it posted wth Triple miles no problem.
Old May 16, 2004, 9:58 pm
OMG

So has anyone actually flown, MSP - LAX, LAX - DEN, DEN - LAX, LAX - MSP on two separate itineraries in one day, and not gotten the bonus miles from NW?

Last edited by OMG; May 16, 2004 at 10:18 pm
Old May 17, 2004, 12:51 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
I hope we are misinterpreting the interpretation. I can see that any connection could void the bonus, but I really think the intention was that you could not book from other cities and connect through MSP or DEN to get to LAX. For instance DFW-MSP-LAX or DFW-DTW-DEN-LAX.

I will have to wait and see as I have some LAX-MSP-LAX overnights "connecting" to LAX-DEN-LAX the same day. I am considering moving the lax-msp-lax to my Delta Sky Miles number so as to not void the promo on LAX-DEN, but if someone has it succesfully post I will leave it all WP.
Old May 17, 2004, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by OMG
So has anyone actually flown, MSP - LAX, LAX - DEN, DEN - LAX, LAX - MSP on two separate itineraries in one day, and not gotten the bonus miles from NW?
What isn't clear about my previous posts?
Old May 17, 2004, 7:07 am
OMG

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Actually, if you read my e-mail exchange with NW, NW claims that any flight the same day will void the bonus. But being the optimistic guy that I am, I rebooked a two-hour "connection" to become a six-hour "connection," with the hope that the computer doesn't treat it as a "connection."
So if I have a business trip to LAX and turnaround to MSP with in the same day, NW will consider the second segment a connection and will void the double miles bonus, since you're qouting NW as claiming any flight the same day will void the bonus?

And nobody has yet asnwered ges123's original question, "Has anyone completed a MR on this type of itinerary before and what was the posted miles outcome?" And to add to that question, has anyone done that MR during this promotion period, not last year, and what was the outcome?
Old May 17, 2004, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by OMG
So if I have a business trip to LAX and turnaround to MSP with in the same day, NW will consider the second segment a connection and will void the double miles bonus, since you're qouting NW as claiming any flight the same day will void the bonus?

And nobody has yet asnwered ges123's original question, "Has anyone completed a MR on this type of itinerary before and what was the posted miles outcome?" And to add to that question, has anyone done that MR during this promotion period, not last year, and what was the outcome?
In the interest of not having the same question asked five more times, and based on personal experience:

An immediate turnaround on either route is NOT a connection.

DEN-LAX followed by LAX-MSP 2.5 hours later on a separate ticket IS is a connection that will void BOTH promotions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.