Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

For lounge reciprocity, Sk***am is per usual

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2004, 1:35 am
GG
Original Poster

Sorry, but based on conversations with Delta CRC agent today AND NW WorldClub agent, it does not look good for any reciprocity between lounges based on Sk***am. The DL CRC agent was fairly snarly. (She was pretty obsequious 3 months ago when I was still a DL PM!) I had to ask, What's the difference then with Northwest joining Skyteam? She just kept repeating that we had to be flying DL... so we oiled out. Never complained or explained.

The Worldclub agent was a bit more forthcoming. She said that it was still business as usual, which we'd already heard, and that that was entirely DL's call.

I said, "But what's the point of Skyteam, then?" I also pointed out that even among the Sk***am members, Skyteam Elite Plus do get access to each others' lounges. She said, "Delta absolutely refused on that."

That is a direct quote.

I am still not entirely sure how this will work. Anyone who has been holding off to buy a lounge m'ship because of Sk***am might be advised to think about it.

There IS a reason some of us type it that way...
Old May 11, 2004, 4:26 am

Interesting.

So, when NW joins Skyteam will NW Platinum members become Skyteam Elite Plus members? If so, then they should have access to all Skyteam lounges (including NW lounges) on day of flight - even when flying in coach. I know a bunch of NW Platinum members who will be happy about this - no need to purchase a WorldCLub membership!
Old May 11, 2004, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by RobertH
Interesting.

So, when NW joins Skyteam will NW Platinum members become Skyteam Elite Plus members? If so, then they should have access to all Skyteam lounges (including NW lounges) on day of flight - even when flying in coach. I know a bunch of NW Platinum members who will be happy about this - no need to purchase a WorldCLub membership!
Remember, this applys only to INTERNATIONAL itinteraries. Flying LAX-MSP-DCA you still need a WorldClub (etc) membership to get in.
Old May 11, 2004, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM; CO Plat
AMEX Corp

Cant beat AMEX Platinum... get access to all the lounges, NW, DL, CO..

Annual membership is $300.. but you get the card and other benefits as well as access to the lounges!

Great benefit!

-Milerunner
Old May 11, 2004, 10:37 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by milerunner
Cant beat AMEX Platinum... get access to all the lounges, NW, DL, CO..

Annual membership is $300.. but you get the card and other benefits as well as access to the lounges!

Great benefit!

-Milerunner
Yeah, but won't get you into AMS or other overseas lounges. That's where this Skyteam thing comes in handy.

I hope to cancel my Worldclubs after this, and rely on NW Platinum + AmEx Centurion for club access.
Old May 11, 2004, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM; CO Plat
Agreed

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Yeah, but won't get you into AMS or other overseas lounges. That's where this Skyteam thing comes in handy.

I hope to cancel my Worldclubs after this, and rely on NW Platinum + AmEx Centurion for club access.
I agree with that... not getting into AMS is real bummer.. used to be different tho..

NRT is no problem..

DL is always traditionally resistant to change... their aircraft is a perfect example

-milerunner
Old May 11, 2004, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by milerunner
$395 -- but you have to be ticketed on and flying on the airline that owns the lounge.
Old May 11, 2004, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
$395 -- but you have to be ticketed on and flying on the airline that owns the lounge.
So, if you mostly fly NW, you are better off with the WC since you still get access to CO clubs.
Old May 11, 2004, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'm sure there's a longer list of locations than the ones that come to my mind...

LGW -- a President's Club, so flying NW wouldn't get you in there with Amex

AMS -- Doesn't sound like you'd get in with the Amex regardless of NW/CO flights

NRT - if you were flying NRT-EWR/IAH on CO, you wouldn't get into the WorldClub (but it's also in the wrong terminal)

SIN - No Amex entry regardless of flying NW

BKK - No Amex entry regardless of flying NW

I suspect there are other locations as well, but I don't know them.

I am interested in knowing because I am seriously considering dropping my WC membership and getting the Amex Plat.

Also, does anyone know if/how it would work if one was, say, flying CO FLL-IAH, then NW IAH-MSP -- would you be able to use the IAH President's Club based on the boarding pass from the flight you just arrived on? (Although these routings seem to appear less and less these days)

Steve
Old May 11, 2004, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Wink 3 Year World Club member rates

With Amex $300 plan, it's $900 for three years.

If you are platinum or gold, it might be better to pay for the 3 year Worldclub plan, which is much cheaper than $900.
$625 3 year platinum
$760 3 year gold
$895 3 year silver
$1170 3 year general.

I think I prefer the $625 World Club platinum plan.

Jiburi '04
Old May 11, 2004, 6:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by GG
Sorry, but based on conversations with Delta CRC agent today AND NW WorldClub agent, it does not look good for any reciprocity between lounges based on Sk***am. The DL CRC agent was fairly snarly. (She was pretty obsequious 3 months ago when I was still a DL PM!) I had to ask, What's the difference then with Northwest joining Skyteam? She just kept repeating that we had to be flying DL... so we oiled out. Never complained or explained.

The Worldclub agent was a bit more forthcoming. She said that it was still business as usual, which we'd already heard, and that that was entirely DL's call.

I said, "But what's the point of Skyteam, then?" I also pointed out that even among the Sk***am members, Skyteam Elite Plus do get access to each others' lounges. She said, "Delta absolutely refused on that."

That is a direct quote.

I am still not entirely sure how this will work. Anyone who has been holding off to buy a lounge m'ship because of Sk***am might be advised to think about it.

There IS a reason some of us type it that way...
As knowledgeable and helpful as some agents are about current rules and procedures, I don't think that the desk agents in the airline clubs are privy to the goings-on of Skyteam negotiations in the boardrooms... I'd take what they say about the future with a grain of sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.