Best way to meet at airport

Old May 10, 04, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Best way to meet at airport

I am to meet a friend at MIA, and trying to figure out best way to meet. I am flying NW, he is flying UA. I will arrive first, pick up luggage, does anyone know if then I can go to his gate in Concourse F. NW flies into Concourse G.
Old May 10, 04, 4:00 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
It has been a long time since I have been at MIA, but I don't remember an airport where the baggage claim was inside security. You might be able to get to his gate, before you claim your bag, but I don't think they are going to let you back in to a different concourse after you claim your bag.

I would think your best option would be to meet him at the baggage claim of his concourse, after you claim your luggage.
Old May 10, 04, 9:36 pm

Programs: NW WP (never an elite)
Shucks... I thought this was "how to meet members of the gender one is attracted to while waiting for a connecting flight at the airport"... now that would be an interesting thread.
Old May 10, 04, 10:30 pm

Programs: NW PE, Marriott Gold, Alamo-what are they calling it this week?
Cell phones work in airports

I would tell the other party to call you on your cell phone. With nationwide plans and almost unlimited yak minutes to anyone on your system (or others), a simple call would confirm their arrival, and current meeting place info can be exchanged. If you plan on a particular spot, "excuse our dust while we improve the facility for you" signs will derail that plan.
Old May 10, 04, 10:47 pm
Suspended

If you have a Diners Club card or a KLM Platinum Card, there is a Club America lounge outside of security at terminal F in MIA. Not the best lounge in the world but a good place to meet.
Old May 11, 04, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
It has been a long time since I have been at MIA, but I don't remember an airport where the baggage claim was inside security. You might be able to get to his gate, before you claim your bag, but I don't think they are going to let you back in to a different concourse after you claim your bag.

I would think your best option would be to meet him at the baggage claim of his concourse, after you claim your luggage.

I thought meeting at his baggage claim would be best. I just thought it would be cool to meet him at his gate....and as a joke hold up a sign with his name. We haven't seen each other in a while. Thanks for your input.
Old May 11, 04, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by BaliParis
I thought meeting at his baggage claim would be best. I just thought it would be cool to meet him at his gate....and as a joke hold up a sign with his name. We haven't seen each other in a while. Thanks for your input.
You can certainly meet him at the gate. Just buy a refundable ticket from MIA to somewhere on a flight that leaves from the concourse your friend will arrive at. Then go to the gate and greet away! You can cancel your ticket via phone once you're through "security."
Old May 11, 04, 12:59 pm

have them paged..."amada kiss" "Mr. Freeley...Mr. I.P. Freeley"...please report to baggage claim."
Old May 11, 04, 7:43 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by xyzzy
You can certainly meet him at the gate. Just buy a refundable ticket from MIA to somewhere on a flight that leaves from the concourse your friend will arrive at. Then go to the gate and greet away! You can cancel your ticket via phone once you're through "security."
I have done that several times, but will they allow him to carry his luggage through security? Or is there somewhere else he could store it after he claimed it. I guess it is always possible to let the luggage office keep it after your flight, but then you gamble on whether or not they will be open when you return to pick it up.

Search this Thread