Search

Best Seats in the New WBC Class

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2004, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Best Seats in the New WBC Class

I am a little bit tired to hear about the "R" class. So let me ask a different question.

My family (3 of us) are flying DTW-NRT-PVG in July-August on WBC. The odds are that we will be flying the plane with the new WBC seats.

For the classical WBC, numerous FTs have reported that 73AB are the best on the upper deck, 2,3,4 ABJK are the best on the lower deck (they are former FC seats). I personally agree since I have been on these seats before.

For the new WBC, what are the best seats? I have no idea. Is it true that every WBC seat has the identical legroom, etc. in the new WBC? Seatguru.com has no information about the new WBC seats.

Could someone knowledgeable who have had experiences in the new WBC say something about this? It will be appreciated.
Old May 5, 2004, 3:39 pm

I have not flown in the new WBC, either, so I appreciate the question above. Given that the number of seats has not changed, I assume that at least there would be as much seat pitch as before. Now, with the new privacy hood (space capsule) seat, is it true that the seatback itself does not recline as much as the classic WBC seat, when measured with the flat seat cushion? I mean, the total rotational angle is greater with the new seat, but that is obtained by creating an incline.

I have been hearing from different sources that some people do not like the new seat style because this incline causes some people to slide off.
Old May 7, 2004, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Angry Sad

No one has said anything about the new WBC seats? That is just sad.

People here don't fly WBCs? Oh well...
Old May 7, 2004, 11:26 am

I think that, despite the fact that many of us here do fly WBC, not many people have hit upon the new WBC. Or so it seems....
Old May 7, 2004, 11:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Actually a number have experienced the seats on the 330 and there was a thread about it but it seems the search feature will not access the FT archive.

But the question was specific to the 744.

Seatguru notes that the 744s are in the process of switching and if the seats remain the same number then it would seem that the green seats at seatguru would remain the same. The only difference between the seats would be if you prefer up or down. Your best bet without anyfurther info is to go with seatgurus green seat recommendations with the belief that rows 1-4 will get the same pitch as now or hope that someone who has flown wbc in the changed 744s will post.

I will miss the old rows 1-4. I have as yet to find a bell or whistle in the new seats that makes me think that I am lying in my old barco at home. Since I am not a whistle and bell person I would hope to be on a plane that still has the old seats.
Old May 7, 2004, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I posted a couple of times last Sept, right after my AMS-DTW on the 2nd or 3rd day of new WBC.

My opinion hasn't changed. The best seat in new WBC is a bump to a D10 with the old WBC.

I despise these new "tilt-a-gurneys". They look like something you'd get a lethal injection on. They're narrow. You slide down on them. The bubble-dome costs nearly a foot of pitch/escape room for windows. And worst of all (IMO), they don't have a real "cradle" position anymore. Because of the "lie flat" feature, the seatcushion begins rotating forward as the seat reclines, thrusting your hips up in the air at an angle more appropriate for a visit to the OB-GYN than a relaxing meal and a movie.
Old May 7, 2004, 2:44 pm

Yes, I have been hearing that the sloping feature can be rather annoying, along with other things. My personal favorite has always been the upper deck of 747-200. Those are just about lie flats, and with a 70" pitch. I miss those seats, now that my usual route (MSP-NRT) is all -400.
Old May 7, 2004, 3:04 pm

A couple of months ago, I was assigned 77K, exit row upper deck in the new WBC HNL-NRT and just loved it. Lots of room with a jump seat in front used only for take offs and landings. The side compartment was great for storing my DVD player and other knick knacks. Only problem was limited overhead space, which was quickly solved by a kind FA who placed it in a spacious storage area on the side of the galley next to the stairwell. It's also quieter upstairs.

Seat took some time to get used to, but it was great. Flight was short, so I was only able to take a short nap. The AVOD IFE was fabulous.
Old May 10, 2004, 6:57 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
The only "flat" business class seat I've flown in was on Swiss (A340 flight NRT-ZRH), and I did NOT like it. (I assume the new NW seats are similar.) The full flat position was very uncomfortable, as I was always sliding down, and my feet were pressing against the the box under the seat in front of me. As someone else here said, there is not really a "cradle" position similar to the Old NW WBC seats. You can try to adjust your seat to something similar to the old cradle position, but it is not the same.

It is really a shame that all the airlines are rushing to install these so-called "flat" seats. I would have preferred that they just increase pitch by a few inches and make the existing seats recline farther.
Old May 11, 2004, 1:02 am

Thumbs down Agree about WBC

I flew WBC seating from HNL to DTW. I slipped off the seat several times and felt the flat position reminded me too much of an exam table. I was in 4a that was nice as the flight attendants didn't stand behind me and talk all night long. I much prefer the old seating and ended up using the seat in the basic barco lounger position. I was also afraid I would snore if flat too long as I was tired. The leg room was great and I believe pretty fairly distributed.
Old May 11, 2004, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by patricia
I flew WBC seating from HNL to DTW. I slipped off the seat several times and felt the flat position reminded me too much of an exam table. I was in 4a that was nice as the flight attendants didn't stand behind me and talk all night long. I much prefer the old seating and ended up using the seat in the basic barco lounger position. I was also afraid I would snore if flat too long as I was tired. The leg room was great and I believe pretty fairly distributed.
As an alternate datapoint, I'm amazed at all the people who "slide down" these seats. My partner and I have flown them several times, and never had a problem. I think they're a huge improvement.
Old May 11, 2004, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Clothing style influences slide

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
As an alternate datapoint, I'm amazed at all the people who "slide down" these seats. My partner and I have flown them several times, and never had a problem. I think they're a huge improvement.

This thread suggests the type of clothing you wear influences whether you slide or not. Cotton = no slide, synthetic = slide. I am hoping to get my chance to experience first hand next month. I usually wear khakis/dockers/chinos style trousers so I am hoping not to slide, but I will carry a burlap sack just in case I end up on the floor.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=slide
Old May 11, 2004, 9:47 am
mdb

I have not been on the 744 in the new WBC, but I have flow about 12 times in the new WBC on the 333.

FWIW - to me the new seats are way too narrow, there should be about 10 more inches of pitch and the arm rests should colapse(like SQ etc). However when trying to sleep I have found them more comfortable than the old seats. This primarily because you can roll over, sleep sort of on ones side and stomach. If I am not sleeping I prefer the old seats...

So Eastbound new seats - westbound old ones...

On the 333 seats 1 A,B,J,K....
Old May 11, 2004, 10:40 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by mdb

On the 333 seats 1 A,B,J,K....
Shhh, don't let my secret out. Nobody seems to like these but me. ;-)

Anyone else on the 4pm to AMS this Thursday?
Old May 11, 2004, 10:54 am
mdb

... or the Diesel 10 to LGW on Sat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.