Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Any chance for a new Japanese airline partner?/JAS partnership ended April 1, 2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance for a new Japanese airline partner?/JAS partnership ended April 1, 2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2004, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Lightbulb Any chance for a new Japanese airline partner?/JAS partnership ended April 1, 2004

When Japan Air System and Japan Airlines merged, mileage accrual for Worldperks members, especially impacting those who reside in Japan, signal the beginning of agreement's end. Mileage banking to NW Worldperks ended April 1, 2004. Members can continue to redeem mileage toward awards for Japan Airlines. (I presume mileage redemption is still kept intact so that Japan based members still have options for use on intra-Japan flights. )

With ANA's strong ties with Star Alliance, it's doubtful ANA will be a NW partner. Meanwhile, Japan Airlines is a partner to American. JAL, however, is not a Oneworld Alliance member. The third major airlines, was Japan Air System, which NW was successful partnering with, but with the merger, that marked the end.

I recognize this is not a simple question as it has many variables....but let me start off with a few questions........

Are there any chance JAL can become a full partner (in terms of accural and redemption and codesharing)to Northwest?

Are there any chance that perhaps, Skyteam could court JAL to becoming a partner, or are there some resistance from existing Skyteam members, such as Korean Air? (Why haven't JAL joined with Oneworld in the first place)?

I've also heard, while I have no document to back it up, that Northwest's is not a partner due to JAL's higher service standards. Is this the hiccup? If so, will the new and upcoming 330 service, or upgraded 744 service change their mind?

Jiburi '04

Last edited by jiburi; Apr 29, 2004 at 7:30 pm Reason: typo
Old May 1, 2004, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I don't think JAL would do anything with Northwest, since basically NW cover most of the cities that JAL flies from NRT to asia, or NRT to US, there are no needs to be partner or codeshare, except those domestic routes in Japan. Whereas, AA need JL because they are going only as far as NRT, another one world member CX has to fly through HKG in order to get to other parts of asia, therefore JL is very important to AA, rather than to NW.

I don't think that any service change would make JL to be partner with NW. Lots of the oneworld or star alliance menbers were doing business or partnership together well before they joined their alliance. All the alliance just make other people can earn miles on each other. JL actually had stated earlier that they are no rush in joining oneworld, but in long term, I think they would still eventually get into oneworld. Not all the top-tier airlines belong to any alliance. e.g. Virgin
Old May 2, 2004, 1:45 pm

With its large captive home market (Japanese people prefer flying on their national carriers), JAL indeed is under no pressure to join an alliance, and has bilateral partnerships with many carriers, a business model they seem satisfied with.

If JL was to join an alliance, Oneworld does seem like a good fit, due to its number of premium 3-class carriers, absence of hub in NRT (NH, NW, UA) and, added bonus, lukewarm Korean member...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.