Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Help! Seat assignment in WBC with 18 months old baby.

Old Apr 29, 04, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

I know a lot people hate it when this situation happens. My wife and I booked two WBC award from DCA to TPE via DTW/Osaka with paid infant without seat. He will be 18 months at time we travel in Sep. Good thing is he doesn't cry much. I am looking for seats with more spaces and storage so we can take lots of his toys onboard. Also of course to minimize any disruptions to others on the flight. Any advise or suggestion are appreciated. Or if you have done so, please share your experience.
How about 9 thru 11 rows in the middle(D,E,F) where there are three
seats? Any chace the middle seat will be empty?
Does new WBC seats change the seat layout/configuration?
Old Apr 29, 04, 3:40 pm
Suspended

WOW!

I can't help you out with your specific question because I'm not familiar with the configuration of tha aircraft.

But, as a father of a 15 month old, I would STRONGLY encourage you to get the little guy (or girl) a seat (either through miles or $$). I don't know how much you've travelled with the little one, but unless you've done it quite a bit and know you're ready to handle 20 hours (or whatever it is) with a baby in your lap, you could find you've got your hands full. We just took a 2 hour flight with our little one in our lap a few weeks ago and decided that would be her final trip as a lap baby - and THAT was only 2 hours!

Getting the little one a seat will significantly improve the sleeping for the baby - plus for mommy & daddy. We've had an available seat for ours a few times and once those engines start droning and she's all snug in her FAA approved car seat, its lights out. In the lap - she's awake the whole flight.

Just my 2 cents. Hope everything goes well as planned. Just hope a cranky baby doesn't end up making your trip less fantastic than it might otherwise be.

P.S. - also check the somewhat inactive "Travelling with Children" forum.
Old Apr 29, 04, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
I would agree with MCO on this one. I while back we went to Europe with our 18 month old. He sort of slept on us but it was inconfortable for everyone including him. You are talking about a big trip. Do not count on an empty seat! You may have one, but if you do not you will be very sorry.

Plan ahead, plan for the best comfort of everyone. Book a third seat.

I may suggest the bulkhead since it generaly has more room to move around.
Old Apr 29, 04, 7:03 pm

Programs: NW, *wood
Originally Posted by fromYXU
Plan ahead, plan for the best comfort of everyone. Book a third seat.
Actually, the best thing to do for everyone's comfort would be to redeposit the miles and book three seats in coach. Babies just don't belong in the grown-up atmosphere of first or business class. Indeed, one of the reasons I fly up front is to avoid babies (especially lap babies), and I'm sure that I'm not alone.
Old Apr 29, 04, 7:17 pm

We've traveled extensively with our tot on our laps with no problems, and we hands down prefer the aisles that have only two seats. The window seat seems to give us more arm support for a sleeping baby. We also try to get the first row in coach, so no one is in front. We'd hate it if our child's occasional playful kicking were to disturb the passengers in front of us.

We also bring new toys that our child has never seen before. This keeps her happily busy during the flight.

Finally, we always "run her ragged" between flights.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 29, 04, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jrossi
We've traveled extensively with our tot on our laps with no problems, and we hands down prefer the aisles that have only two seats.
The problem is that not all aircraft have such rows. Sure, if you're on a DC-9, you've got the entire left side of the plane to work with, but if you're on an A319 or A320, you're out of luck. The 757-300 does have a row in coach with two seats, but it's an exit row, and kids under 15 are not allowed.

The best option, for your sanity, your fellow passenger's comfort, and your child's safety, is to purchase a seat for your child.
Old Apr 29, 04, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IND-to-SEA
Actually, the best thing to do for everyone's comfort would be to redeposit the miles and book three seats in coach. Babies just don't belong in the grown-up atmosphere of first or business class. Indeed, one of the reasons I fly up front is to avoid babies (especially lap babies), and I'm sure that I'm not alone.
Actually, as much as I would like to agree with you, if people have the money (or miles), I feel they can do whatever they want... It is without a doubt that it would be most comfortable if the parents were in WBC - obviously they are not going to leave the child in coach, so he or she has to be with them.

In my experience in WBC, the F/A pay better attention to children in WBC. Knowing that the parents probably want some rest, F/A might feel more "obligated" (even though I don't think that is not the right word) to help the parents.
Old Apr 29, 04, 11:56 pm

not sure if you realize this but you'll end up paying about $500 for the luxury of holding the infant in WBC. I hope the flight will have open seats to let you get some rest. The other alternative is to spring the extra 15% and just buy a seat for the little one in coach and try for an upgrade . Good luck. BTW I've done the same type of thing b4
Old Apr 30, 04, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by flyUAyounger
Actually, as much as I would like to agree with you, if people have the money (or miles), I feel they can do whatever they want... It is without a doubt that it would be most comfortable if the parents were in WBC - obviously they are not going to leave the child in coach, so he or she has to be with them.
It would be perfectly reasonable for NW to ban infants and young children from first/business class. At a minimum, lap babies should be disallowed. Bringing a lap baby into first/business class is like trying to get into a "velvet rope" nightclub while wearing dirty jeans and a NASCAR t-shirt. Seriously tacky.

I don't doubt that the parents will be more comfortable in WBC, but what about the other passengers who don't want their upscale experience ruined by a noisy, grubby, smelly baby? And the infant certainly isn't going to care whether he's in WBC or riding in steerage.

Tomorrow night I'm flying out to SEA, and I'm looking forward to enjoying an adult beverage in the peace and quiet (hopefully) of first class.

See you up front....
Old Apr 30, 04, 12:19 am

Programs: Delta DM Marriott Gold
Request seats 1AB, 1JK, 9DEF, 9JK, or 10AB. These have bassinet. Also you need to put in a request for the bassinet, as that will increase the odds of getting those seats. Personally I would reccoment seats 10 AB as there is the bost room. Keep in mind that these are all bulkhead seats and all items need to be an overhead bin for takeoff and landing. As for the flight from KIX to TPE, you will be on a 757 and there are no bassinets, as it is the standard domestic configuration and the baby will be a lap child.

Best of luck!
Old May 1, 04, 10:21 am

Cool

It would be perfectly reasonable for NW to ban infants and young children from first/business class. At a minimum, lap babies should be disallowed. Bringing a lap baby into first/business class is like trying to get into a "velvet rope" nightclub while wearing dirty jeans and a NASCAR t-shirt. Seriously tacky.

I don't doubt that the parents will be more comfortable in WBC, but what about the other passengers who don't want their upscale experience ruined by a noisy, grubby, smelly baby? And the infant certainly isn't going to care whether he's in WBC or riding in steerage.

Tomorrow night I'm flying out to SEA, and I'm looking forward to enjoying an adult beverage in the peace and quiet (hopefully) of first class.

See you up front....

Come on now, if NW started banning infants and children from F class they would have to ban obtuse, obnoxious and over bearing adults too. What fun would that be???
I have seen far more “noisy, grubby and smelly” adults on flights than children.
I agree, if any one has the miles or $$$ for their family to sit F/BC then more power to them.
Old May 2, 04, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I agree with you 100%

See you up front....
I agree with you. In fact, babies have no place on planes much less as lap babies in the FC/BC cabin. I never understood why people feel the need to take babies with them on trips or to otherwise inconveience others. Who wants to look at or hear a loud smelly baby. And the parent/s don't care if they baby bothers other passengers. Let's face it, we all know lap babies don;t stay on their parents laps, they crawl around the ailes of the plan and get in the wasy of other passengers.

I think this passengers and others should keep their babies at home.
Old May 2, 04, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Seat assignments in WBC with 18 month old baby

Just curious if a couple books WBC award tickets and requests a bassinet for a child under 2 years old, is there a charge for the child's basinet seat? Does the child need a boarding pass/ticket and passport? What about upper deck seating options instead? Do they have an option for a bassinet upstairs?
Old May 3, 04, 7:41 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
>>> (copied from another post)
>>> (rant)
>>> If you want more space, fly first class.

That applies to parents with kids too.

If there are two persons travelling with the infant, you can book the third seat in coach and the first two seats as aisle/window. If the third seat can't be upgraded, one of the adults goes back there and the child, who must be accompanied by an adult, stays in first class. Note that, if a child seat is needed, it must be installed in the window seat.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old May 5, 04, 1:09 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite * UA Premier * Marriott Platinum * Hertz #1Gold Five Star
Originally Posted by anbhc
Does the child need a boarding pass/ticket and passport?
AFAIK: ALL infants require a passport now. Also, when applying for the infant passport both parents need to be present and the infant needs to be present (all minors have to be present at the passport application. Since I wasn't able to be there when my wife went to get our new son a passport, I gave her a letter saying I was the father and I gave permission for my wife to issue a passport on my behalf. I signed it. The letter had to go with the application in lieu of my signature on the application.

Last edited by MSP Flyer; May 5, 04 at 1:13 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: