FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Seat Assignments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/316828-seat-assignments.html)

magic12 Apr 27, 2004 8:56 pm

Seat Assignments

Does Northwest assign seats before the 90 day rule? Bought a business class ticket for October and can't get a seat!!!

aaronma Apr 27, 2004 9:06 pm

Wow. A simple, well-articulated question...

No.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

jrossi Apr 28, 2004 6:25 am

If it's a busy route, I'd call as soon as the window opens. I called on day 88 for MSP - HNL, and there were no open seats to move to, other than the ones they leave open for the elites and for changes when you get to the airport.

BTW, Wasn't too happy with what they gave us... we're traveling with a two year old and an infant; They put the kids and I across the aisle from my husband for a 9 hour flight! Nice going NWA.

Live4Miles Apr 28, 2004 6:41 am

Originally Posted by jrossi
If it's a busy route, I'd call as soon as the window opens. I called on day 88 for MSP - HNL, and there were no open seats to move to, other than the ones they leave open for the elites and for changes when you get to the airport.

BTW, Wasn't too happy with what they gave us... we're traveling with a two year old and an infant; They put the kids and I across the aisle from my husband for a 9 hour flight! Nice going NWA.

Maybe you husband called and requested that!! :cool: ;)

(I hope that comes across as funny?)

jrossi Apr 28, 2004 7:56 am

The thought did cross my mind... :D

DavidDTW Apr 28, 2004 8:02 am

When I have made reservations by phone more than 90 days in advance, the CSR has said he/she will request seat assignments. Does NW have some kind of automated program for this when the 90 day threshold is reached?

OutOfOffice Apr 28, 2004 8:34 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
When I have made reservations by phone more than 90 days in advance, the CSR has said he/she will request seat assignments. Does NW have some kind of automated program for this when the 90 day threshold is reached?

I was once told by a phone agent that before the window opens, they can put in requests for window/aisle or seating towards the front if disabled. I could be wrong, but I imagine any other request is just a notation on the PNR. Anyone know more specifics?.

supercalifragilistic Apr 28, 2004 9:35 am

seat assignments

Prior to the 90-day mark, have the agent put in a "generic request" for seats. This means, ask for aisle forward, window back, bulkhead forward, exit aisle, etc. When the seat map is created 90 days out, the computer will process these "generic requests" automatically.

This also helps in the event of schedule/aircraft changes. If there's a "generic request" telling the computer what your preference is, it will go through the seat map reconfiguration and get the same type of seats for you.

If you request seats 14DEF and the plane 90-days out is a 757 where rows 14 and 15 exist, but then there's a schedule change to a 757 where there is no row 14 or 15, then you'll be kicked to the back.

The generic request will try to get those bulkhead seats on the new aircraft and if not, the closest thing.

NoStressHere Apr 29, 2004 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jrossi

Which seats would you have preferred?

(your husband told me he asked for a seat 20 rows behind yours)

dwh Jun 12, 2004 1:53 pm

how to get generic bulkhead seat request?

Originally Posted by supercalifragilistic
Prior to the 90-day mark, have the agent put in a "generic request" for seats. This means, ask for aisle forward, window back, bulkhead forward....The generic request will try to get those bulkhead seats on the new aircraft and if not, the closest thing.

I've asked on the Silver Elite line a couple times now for a generic seat request for bulkhead window (DC-10 or A330 to Amsterdam) and each time I've been told that it is only possible to request a forward window seat, but not a bulkhead seat.

Am I just getting the wrong agents--or am I not saying the magic word? :p

fromYXU Jun 13, 2004 6:58 am

Originally Posted by dwh
I've asked on the Silver Elite line a couple times now for a generic seat request for bulkhead window (DC-10 or A330 to Amsterdam) and each time I've been told that it is only possible to request a forward window seat, but not a bulkhead seat.

Most of my business travels are booked via the company TA. Recently, I booked DTW-AMS and my TA put a comment regarding bulkhead seating. It worked. If there is a comment box, you should be able to put anything you want. I was surprised that it worked for me since I would not think that someone looks at the comments. I would think the process is automatic.

WillTvl4Food Jun 13, 2004 8:54 am

Originally Posted by supercalifragilistic
Prior to the 90-day mark, have the agent put in a "generic request" for seats. This means, ask for aisle forward, window back, bulkhead forward, exit aisle, etc. When the seat map is created 90 days out, the computer will process these "generic requests" automatically.

This also helps in the event of schedule/aircraft changes. If there's a "generic request" telling the computer what your preference is, it will go through the seat map reconfiguration and get the same type of seats for you.

If you request seats 14DEF and the plane 90-days out is a 757 where rows 14 and 15 exist, but then there's a schedule change to a 757 where there is no row 14 or 15, then you'll be kicked to the back.

The generic request will try to get those bulkhead seats on the new aircraft and if not, the closest thing.

You're right. Prior to 90 days out, you can put in a request for seats. Usually, it's just a generic request, such as aisle forward or window forward. If you are elite, or have a wheelchair request in, you can put in a request for the bulkhead, but depending on the aircraft type, don't count on it. If it's a 757, it won't happen. PERIOD. Since some 757s have rows 14 and 15 and some don't, they are ONLY assigned at the airport. NWA will not give them out beforehand.

You can also have them request specific seat numbers, but if there is an aircraft change, or someone else is already assigned your preferred seat numbers before you, you'll get whatever the computer feels like giving you. NWA recommends putting in a generic request when the res is made and calling back to shuffle seat numbers 90 days out.

slippahs Jun 13, 2004 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by dwh
Am I just getting the wrong agents--or am I not saying the magic word? :p

Doesn't matter if I'm upgraded or not, if I request window seats, I'll get an aisle. :rolleyes: Thanks Northwest.

aloha

TrayflowInUK Jun 13, 2004 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by WillTvl4Food
If it's a 757, it won't happen. PERIOD. Since some 757s have rows 14 and 15 and some don't, they are ONLY assigned at the airport. NWA will not give them out beforehand.

Just to clarify, I assume you're referring to 757-200s on not -300s?

I am 2 for 2 in asking for, and receiving, 14AB for my spouse and I on a 757-300 ahead of time (i.e., not at checkin). Luckily EUA worked both times so I never actually sat there! ^

WillTvl4Food Jun 14, 2004 2:39 am

Oops!

You're right. I should have clarified that. Silly me.