Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Really mad about availability of NW awards in Biz class

Really mad about availability of NW awards in Biz class

Old Apr 22, 04, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Angry Really mad about availability of NW awards in Biz class

WARNING : this is a rant

I've got aboout 200K NW miles and its impossible to get 2 biz class std. awards from SFO to SIN or HNL-SIN (or anything into SE Asia for that matter). NW has made it very difficult to redeem biz class seats, they're running a hard race with CO for the worst airline to accumulate miles on. I've got miles on AA and UA and its sooo easy getting premium award seats with those airlines, its like night and day compared to NW.

done ranting.

Whats the secret here ? Does NW reserve premium seats for elites or do you elites suffer like the rest of us ? BTW I used to be a NW Gold elite until i tried UA.
Old Apr 22, 04, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
The secret is to check the WPAA lister frequently... and bring out all your lucky charms...

aloha
Old Apr 23, 04, 2:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
WHen I switched over to Northwest, I figured mentally I'd always have to RuleBust to get my awards (especially since I'm fairly limited in flexibility). I figure the domestic F upgrades still come out ahead for me over AA (although AA's recent change for EXP's makes me ponder...)

It also eases my mental stress.

Steve
Old Apr 23, 04, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
From what I've seen lately, I would say it's more difficult to get an Int'l premium award on NW/KL than on CO. Seems that CO has eased up a bit, and NW/KL has tightened down.

With that said, it's still possible, as I got SFO-BCN x 2 in KL WBC for late summer, just a few weeks ago. Keep trying.
Old Apr 23, 04, 7:14 am

Mh???

Did you try MH? They usually have capacity into SE Asia for award travel.

The reason award travel is hard to come by to SIN or BKK or HKG is that the asian economy is starting to boom. lots of business travel from the US to Asia at the moment. Try buying a biz class seat to TPE at the last minute and you will mosst likely be out of luck
Old Apr 23, 04, 7:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Alaska 75K, Avianca, British Airways
The new PDX-NRT service seems to have C class availability.
Old Apr 23, 04, 8:24 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
We're leaving this morning for AMS on standard WBC award tickets.
Have already booked standard WBC award tickets for Feb to BKK.

As soon as we can top off our accounts again we'll be booking some to BOM as well.

Old Apr 23, 04, 9:17 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by doglover
Have already booked standard WBC award tickets for Feb to BKK.
When did you book this? I tried booking 1 WBC seat about 2 weeks ago and NW showed no availability for a week's period in Feb. I was able to reserve a WBC on NW through DL miles though. Strange!! I ended up ticketing an award from US for LH in F instead though.

WPAA doesn't seem to be working for me anymore
Old Apr 23, 04, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Smile They're giving away inferior KL WBC

I've noticed that it is fairly easy to obtain WBC tickets over the pond on KL, but not on NW.

I actually upgraded B fares to AMS in early May. I've never been able to do that before. But both flights are on KL 747s over the pond. Methinks I'd rather be on an A330...

But anyway, I've been looking at availability to FCO, LHR (yes!) and PRG, and they're all available as standard awards on or around my dates, on KL through AMS.

Of course, none of this helps sunil with the Asia question.
Old Apr 23, 04, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I got a standard award pretty easily a few weeks ago, flying CO EWR-HKG then NW NRT-DTW. To change my domestic conection from Detroit they had to find me a seat on another flight (has to be endpoint-endpoint). No problem there either.

Luck iof the draw, I guess.
Old Apr 23, 04, 12:31 pm

2 WBC seats from WAS to TPE in Sep

I was able to book 2 WBC stand award from WAS to TPE via DTW leaving Friday before Labor day and return Sunday two weeks later. I have to call NWA to book for me in mid Jan because it shows no availability on nwa.com. I will suggest you call NWA to check out when you have time to kill. Good luck.
Old Apr 23, 04, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-18
Wink Patience......

If I can book standard award travel for Trip to Oslo in Early July, another separate trip to Istanbul in Late July, Trip to Japan in August, and Trip to Japan again during peak December holidays (Dec 18 to Jan 2), you too can find it too. Be flexible and have lots of patience.....

Prior suggestions also works really well.

Good luck.
Old Apr 23, 04, 1:26 pm

I realize that it's not trans-Pac, but last summer I got two WBC tickets to europe (through DTW & AMS both ways on NW). This summer, I found several through Paris and Rome in August (didn't book it though).

Keep checking...from pretty regular use of WPAA, it's become obvious to me that they dump a bunch of seats at once (but I have yet to discern a pattern in timing of the dumps).
Old Apr 23, 04, 3:20 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL SKyMiles Million Miler, AS, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by HeelLaw
I realize that it's not trans-Pac, but last summer I got two WBC tickets to europe (through DTW & AMS both ways on NW). This summer, I found several through Paris and Rome in August (didn't book it though).

Keep checking...from pretty regular use of WPAA, it's become obvious to me that they dump a bunch of seats at once (but I have yet to discern a pattern in timing of the dumps).
This is my experience as well. It used to be that you really had to book a premium destination literally 11 months in advance but now award seats sometimes pop back into the bucket.
Old Apr 23, 04, 4:25 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
watch how you price things on-line... i checked this am for a DCA-TPE flight... outbound was W, return was D...(75k) i thought ok... let's try what a biz award would run if I'm already paying biz for half... well it came out with rulebuster (180k) for BOTH outbound and return...but 2 seconds before was showing D avail on the return... me thinks there are still some hokey bugs in the system

Search this Thread