"R" Class comes to NW

Old Apr 17, 2004, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Unhappy "R" Class comes to NW

From my WP Summary page:

14APR2004 NW 0594 NW 0594 R/Q PDX - MSP 1,426 1,426

This is new. Last week when I flew NW after EUA, my flown class was 'F'. This week it's 'R'.

R class does not show up on itn.net. R does show up on the availability tool... in the special classes section (same as W,A)

Has NW copied CO?

And if so, why?

Last edited by doglover; Apr 17, 2004 at 7:25 pm
Old Apr 17, 2004, 4:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
When I was automatically upgraded on NW a week ago, on NWA.com, it shows me "Class Flown/Paid R/K". Both were K before the automatic upgrade.

I think it is simply NW's internal way of showing you were automatically upgraded. I don't think you can ever BUY or BOOK an "R" fare.

Last edited by 925; Apr 17, 2004 at 5:00 pm
Old Apr 17, 2004, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Why R?

From my summary page:

08APR2004 NW 1920 NW 1920 F/B SDF - DTW 500 1 500
NW 0386 NW 0386 F/B DTW - BOS 632 1 632
NW 0038 NW 0038 H/H BOS - AMS 3,457 3,457
09APR2004 MA 0661 MA 0661 M/M AMS - BUD 727 1 727

As of 08 April they were still pulling out of the F bucket and that upgrade went through five days out without any problems.

However, for domestic flights on the 13th of April, I had trouble with my EUA's going through. This was a first for me, in quite some time. In fact, I didn't even get the DTW-SDF 5 days out. I suspect it likely had something to do with the new changes involving "R" class.

I found out about this when I inquired with an agent on the 12th after a service issue (my baggage went "walkabout" overseas on my return flights to Boston on the 12th). The agent I spoke with said she couldn't find F inventory, thought things looked strange because of open seats, and upgraded me manually:

13APR2004 NW 1191 NW 1191 P/B BOS - DTW 632 1 632
NW 0403 NW 0403 P/B DTW - SDF 500 1 500

Anyways, will have to see what happens with my next trip. Hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out and that upgrades/EUAs remain reliable as they have been in the past.

As a side note, any idea what the "M" bucket is considered for Malev?

I notice on my Malev operated flights it listed "designated" and "operated by" as MA on my WorldPerks statement; however, my Malev flights were designated as NW via codeshare, but operated by MA. On my luggage routing tag, NW even went as far as using the NW flight # instead of the MA #. Luckily it arrived -- (and was tagged with a NW priority sticker), especially with three transfers.

Anyways, this is what my routing tag looked like.. note the "AIRLINK" (?)

"AIRLINK"
BUD
NW3937
--------
AMS
NW38
--------
BOS
NW386
--------
DTW
NW1920

I don't know why "AIRLINK" was printed on the top.. (?) Perhaps the system thought NW3937 was an Airlink flight, when in fact it was really a Malev codeshare? Needless to say, my luggage arrived with the following routing as was on the baggage claim for me as soon as I got through immigrations. Fast and efficient -- but too bad that wasn't the case on the way back where it went "walkabout" on a BUD-AMS-BOS

Cheers,

SDF_Traveler

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Apr 17, 2004 at 8:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 17, 2004, 8:48 pm

The new R class is for all upgrades on a restricted ticket, (elite or mileage upgrades) and for any partner elite upgrades from restricted and full fare tickets. P class will remain for WP elite upgrades from full fare tickets.

P
Full fare first
connect First
WP and CO rulebuster
WP elite and KL plat. elite upgrade from FULL FARE
WP mileage upgrade from FULL FARE

F
Discounted first class fares

R
WP elite and KL plat upgrade from discount fares
Other airline elite upgrades (CO,AS,etc) from all fares
Mileage upgrades from discounted fares

A
Mileage standard awards
Certs for free travel
WP plat and gold upgrades from award ticket

Last edited by msprsa; Apr 18, 2004 at 9:18 am
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Thanks mprsa.

Can someone update the sticky fare classes posting?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 5:06 am

Thanks for the trouble, Msprsa. But a follow-up question. You mentioned ". . . partner elite upgrades from restricted . . . tickets" at the top of your posting, and under the category R you listed "Other airline elite upgrades (CO,AS,etc) from all fares." But certain fares (particularly some of those Promotional Fares offered on nwa.com) have a rule that explicitly prohibits upgrading except for NW's own elites. Just a few months ago several telephone agents denied my request to upgrade using the certificates issued to Alaska's MVP/MVPGolds for use on NW, and that fare rule was cited as reason. Do you mean to say that, by June, because of the new R category, all fares (even though otherwise "restricted") are upgradable via those certificates MVP's receive? If so, that would be a significant enhancement of MVP benefits. Also, does the R category have anything to do with possibly making MVP upgrades on NW electronic? Would appreciate it if you could shed further light on the two points. Many thanks again.

Last edited by Likemiles; Apr 18, 2004 at 6:01 am
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:26 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Sliver, Mariott Silver
I just got back from a two vacation in Europe and was upgraded on both my outgoing and returning domestic legs. On my outgoing is shows F, but on my return (Friday night) it also shows R.

I hope NW is not planning on making upgrades more difficult. I have already noticed that more than 50% of the time I am not getting upgraded at the 3 day window, but instead at the gate.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Likemiles
Thanks for the trouble, Msprsa. But a follow-up question. You mentioned ". . . partner elite upgrades from restricted . . . tickets" at the top of your posting, and under the category R you listed "Other airline elite upgrades (CO,AS,etc) from all fares." But certain fares (particularly some of those Promotional Fares offered on nwa.com) have a rule that explicitly prohibits upgrading except for NW's own elites. Just a few months ago several telephone agents denied my request to upgrade using the certificates issued to Alaska's MVP/MVPGolds for use on NW, and that fare rule was cited as reason. Do you mean to say that, by June, because of the new R category, all fares (even though otherwise "restricted") are upgradable via those certificates MVP's receive? If so, that would be a significant enhancement of MVP benefits. Also, does the R category have anything to do with possibly making MVP upgrades on NW electronic? Would appreciate it if you could shed further light on the two points. Many thanks again.

In this case restricted is referring to any published fares that are not of the Y26 or B26 type. So the rules on the PD, PE, FR. and other certs still remain the same.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I think the # of upgrades at the 5/3/1 day windows will be slightly lower..but not by much. It used to be that the # of seats in the 'F' bucket could be used for upgrades. Now they made 'R' a subset of 'F' and 'R' isn't likely to equal 'F' on each flight.

Case in point...I'm three days away from a SEA-DTW flight and I haven't been upgraded (I'm platinum). However, ITN shows 'P5 F4'. So they are holding 'F' seats back for discount first-class fare purchasers. I suspect I'll be upgraded when I check-in online or at the gate.

This could mean more gate upgrades for gold & silver elites. (Just speculation).

-RM
Old Apr 18, 2004, 12:11 pm
dwh

Cool eau didn't work for me

>>>>> just got back from a two vacation in Europe and was upgraded on both my outgoing and returning domestic legs.

I flew MKE-HAM April 3rd-April 10th and neither direction did the EAU work, nor did I get an e-mail with upgrade status. I had to call NW/KL in Germany, who told me to call Amsterdam, where they gave me the U.S. 800 number to call for the upgrade.

In HAM they were unable to issue a boarding pass for the MEM-MKE portion--they said I could get it in AMS because there would be NW staff there. At the Transfer Desk in AMS they said I couldn't get the boarding pass there, but could get it at the AMS gate, where there were NW staff. At the AMS gate, they told me it was of course impossible to issue a boarding pass for MEM-MKE--but that I could get it upon arrival at the transfer desk in MEM. It turns out there IS no transfer desk in MEM, but I did get it at the gate!

I have already gotten used to this kind of never-ending string of pass-the-buck fairy takes from KL, though.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
i just returned from a week-long vacation and found my inbound and outbound flights listing as R/Y on my world perks account statement.

had no problems with EUA - happened a few hours before midnight 1 day before departure (as they are supposed to for silvers).
Old Apr 19, 2004, 4:48 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I think the # of upgrades at the 5/3/1 day windows will be slightly lower..but not by much. It used to be that the # of seats in the 'F' bucket could be used for upgrades. Now they made 'R' a subset of 'F' and 'R' isn't likely to equal 'F' on each flight.

Case in point...I'm three days away from a SEA-DTW flight and I haven't been upgraded (I'm platinum). However, ITN shows 'P5 F4'. So they are holding 'F' seats back for discount first-class fare purchasers. I suspect I'll be upgraded when I check-in online or at the gate.

This could mean more gate upgrades for gold & silver elites. (Just speculation).

-RM
You might be on to something.

My next week has a total of (6) legs on a rt flight. I have not been upgraded on my MEM to DTW flight on Friday. All of the other legs show me in F with the exception on this one.

This may be a coincidence but (pre R) I had been routinely getting upgraded on flights from DTW to LAX, ONT, SAN, and PHX. The MEM to DTW must be a more popular run??????

I truly hope this is not what we have to look forward to. Hey what about those Platinum Points?

I just checked the F seat map on ITN and it shows 8 booked seats and 8 occupied seats.

Last edited by TRVLRZ; Apr 19, 2004 at 4:59 am Reason: ITN Seat update
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It gets worse now....

For my SEA-DTW flight on Weds 4/21, ITN has changed to 'P4 F0' - no idea where those F seats went. Still no upgrade.

Now for my SEA-MSP flight on Sun 4/25, I was not upgraded yesterday or today and ITN shows 'P9 F9'. F9 and no upgrade? What is going on here? My connecting flight out of MSP has already been upgraded.

NW used to be a sure upgrade for Platinums at the 5 or 6 day window and now they are starting to play games like Continental - changing fare class for upgrades, not upgrading at the proper windows, etc. I'm not too concerned about it yet but I have four round trips on NW between Apr 21 and May 31. I've also got one CO in there as well. We'll see what happens. I'm 100% on NW & CO this year so far (NW always at the 6 day window and CO either at the 5 day window or at the gate)...

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Apr 19, 2004 at 8:48 am
Old Apr 19, 2004, 9:09 am

Yea, me too on the upgrades, I was 100% before this week. I will be curious to see how this plays out. I honestly hope NW is not going to start playing with it’s Elite members.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:09 am

Location: Only Delta Silver I'm trying to stay at home more :) Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
If this is the case, do you think that this new R class will at some point be listed on ITN so we can see upgrade availability?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.