Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice please re bringing food wine to Iceland to save costs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Advice please re bringing food wine to Iceland to save costs

My wife and I are travelling to Iceland for a 7 day stay.
We are using airpoints for the flights which are in business class so we have a lot of capacity to bring in extra supplies .
I hear that Icelandic food and wine is expensive and we are happy to dine out but sometimes just want to drink wine and eat cheese and crackers in our hotel room .
Any suggestions re what we could prepurchase in Helsinki or London on the way to save us some costs once in Iceland?
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:30 pm

https://www.skatturinn.is/english/in...-free-imports/

Tl;dr: no diary or meat, limits on amount of alcohol.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mooncity
https://www.skatturinn.is/english/in...-free-imports/

Tl;dr: no diary or meat, limits on amount of alcohol.
The meat and dairy prohibition applies only to products from countries outside the EU/EEA.
mooncity likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ozflier
My wife and I are travelling to Iceland for a 7 day stay.
We are using airpoints for the flights which are in business class so we have a lot of capacity to bring in extra supplies .
I hear that Icelandic food and wine is expensive and we are happy to dine out but sometimes just want to drink wine and eat cheese and crackers in our hotel room .
Any suggestions re what we could prepurchase in Helsinki or London on the way to save us some costs once in Iceland?
Thanks in advance.
Iceland isn’t part of any customs union with Finland nor with the UK, so alcohol from both places is subject to Icelandic customs duty upon exceeding Iceland’s duty free allowance for alcohol. That can mean two liters of vodka already exceeds the duty-free allowance for bringing into Iceland from HEL or LHR. And if you or your wife are not yet 20 years old, then the import may be disallowed or you may have a lower combined allowance than was perhaps expected.

Meat and dairy from HEL is not restricted for importing into KEF.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.
Are wine purchases cheaper at HEL or KEF?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by ozflier
Thank you all.
Are wine purchases cheaper at HEL or KEF?
Let me put it this way: if I were you, I'd consider using that week as an opportunity to do some detoxing. Alcohol in the Nordics is expensive no matter how you cut it.

You mentioned cheese in your opening post; while not cheap, Iceland has a decent production of cheese, with product better in quality than most UK makers, in my opinion. There's also great yoghurt as well if you're into that.
mooncity likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
You can also buy Duty-Free on arrival at KEF, though I personally can't vouch for the quality.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:14 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Locals returning home to Iceland do most of their alcohol purchasing at Duty Free. Much cheaper than the state run liquor stores scattered around the country, or retail at a restaurant. Although Happy Hours can be pretty reasonable for visitors.

we found groceries to not be that much more expensive than back home.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:33 am

Are you a Costco member?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 2:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by klew97
Are you a Costco member?
There is indeed at least one Costco in Iceland, and it happens to be near the IKEA. IKEA has its relatively cheap restaurant food, but I try to avoid IKEA like it’s the plague.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:24 am

The Bonus supermarket chain has decent prices. And in the Westfjords I managed to buy a whole salmon from the fish farmers' company for 2000 ISK, but it was a case of me walking by the warehouses and striking up a conversation with one of the workers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.