Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Sweden

Coronavirus in Sweden

Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I am on a train so I can not post figures, but I encourage you to look into details at the testing numbers and geographical repartition for July August. You will notice a large decrease in testing.
That's correct, but look at it in context: Between March-June, they only tested people that were seriously ill. I was sick in May, and I'm pretty sure that it was covid-19, and I wanted to get tested but couldn't. From the middle of June, everybody who's sick or feeling bad could get tested. So, the apparent reason why there's a decrease in testing is that less people are sick, and less people want to get tested.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You cut of at 2015, which was still below 2020, so you don't really show how far back we have to go to get a per capita death toll in 1H that is higher than 2020. Maybe we have to go all the way back to 1869 as well?
It's just that the SCB file I've been using starts on 1 January 2015. I would have to dig deeper to find the numbers for 2014, and I'm not prepared to spend time on doing that at the moment.

However, if you take into account that 1H 2020 had one more day than 1H 2015, you actually get a slightly lower figure for 2020 compared to 2015.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RedChili
That's correct, but look at it in context: Between March-June, they only tested people that were seriously ill. I was sick in May, and I'm pretty sure that it was covid-19, and I wanted to get tested but couldn't. From the middle of June, everybody who's sick or feeling bad could get tested. So, the apparent reason why there's a decrease in testing is that less people are sick, and less people want to get tested.

It's just that the SCB file I've been using starts on 1 January 2015. I would have to dig deeper to find the numbers for 2014, and I'm not prepared to spend time on doing that at the moment.

However, if you take into account that 1H 2020 had one more day than 1H 2015, you actually get a slightly lower figure for 2020 compared to 2015.
I did suspect the cut of was driven more by handy data source than by anything else. We do all have other lives to live than just FT, so yes I do understand the limits on time for such endeavours, and did not really expect that you'd throw yourself in to the full calculation
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Did he really discuss herd immunity on Danish TV? Why? Sweden isn't doing that or so we're told.
It regularly comes up when he has to argue in favour off (defend) his approach in foreign media. I don't know if it is in his official strategy, but it is certainly in his defense of the strategy.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Go back to at least March 11th , 2020 in that thread. Say around post 5454 in that thread, as that is when Denmark closed all daycares and schools.
Thanks. I got out in time, on March 5 nonstop. Just a handful of cases in the news by then. That was the Thursday before the Monday you wrote "CPH was a ghost town of sorts. I remember some staff was wearing masks at LAX. Things quickly escalated from there.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At least one class of pre-teen school kids in a part of Malmo had 40+% of the class out sick today. I asked an old, retired teacher in Sweden if she had ever had such level of sickness absences in August classes, and her response was she had never seen this happen before with Swedish students in August.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:06 pm
Suspended

It regularly comes up when he has to argue in favour off (defend) his approach in foreign media. I don't know if it is in his official strategy, but it is certainly in his defense of the strategy.
He discusses it with American and other anglophone countries journalists. I would say its part of his official strategy, even as hes not open and honest about acknowledging that it is what it is.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
At least one class of pre-teen school kids in a part of Malmo had 40+% of the class out sick today. I asked an old, retired teacher in Sweden if she had ever had such level of sickness absences in August classes, and her response was she had never seen this happen before with Swedish students in August.
Wow! But at least that class was able to do social distancing.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
Wow! But at least that class was able to do social distancing.

I wonder what the explanation is for so many of one class's students -- from one of the nicer areas of Malmo -- being sick from school all at once at this time of year. The municipality and school authorities haven't said anything about it publicly as far as I know. And I doubt the public silence so far has anything to do with privacy, as schools and even preschools aren't all that shy about informing the classes/groups/parents when they've had a "winter vomit" outbreak or hair-lice outbreak at the facilities. The symptoms exhibited are very much in keeping what would be expected from COVID-19 hits or some other respiratory/vascular infection.

I am curious about the level of reliability of the more common Covid-19 tests given in Sweden and how the reliability of the Swedish testing compares to that of the testing being done in the neighboring areas. Is there any study that compares the reliability of Swedish testing results to the reliability of its neighbors' testing results?
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:23 am
Suspended

Trains between Malmo and Lund are cancelled for something like a week. And the passengers for this traffic will instead be packed -- and I mean really packed at times -- into buses. That will making social distancing even way harder than usual and increase the time commuters are in very close proximity to each other.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 5:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Alternatively parents are reporting their kids to be sick to avoid going to school...?

Seriously though, about two weeks ago nearly every kid in our kids friend circle had some kind of summer viral fever/flu (light fever for a few days, running nose, sore thoat) that spread like wild fire (in spite of hand washing, masks and nearly no shoulder rubbing). Everyone ran to get a covid19 test done and all tested negative. So it could very well be that infection. Seeing how quickly that viral fever spread amongst the kids my hopes of any containment of Covid19 once schools reopen has faded quickly.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:21 am
Suspended

The coronavirus situation in Sweden came with a backlog for mail/packages to be processed by Swedish customs. That, foreign slowdowns in postal services also has been a factor in why mail/packages sent to Sweden have been rather slow. Online shopping boom was a factor.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Alternatively parents are reporting their kids to be sick to avoid going to school...?

Seriously though, about two weeks ago nearly every kid in our kids friend circle had some kind of summer viral fever/flu (light fever for a few days, running nose, sore thoat) that spread like wild fire (in spite of hand washing, masks and nearly no shoulder rubbing). Everyone ran to get a covid19 test done and all tested negative. So it could very well be that infection. Seeing how quickly that viral fever spread amongst the kids my hopes of any containment of Covid19 once schools reopen has faded quickly.
The state-supporting propaganda says that the higher rate of Swedish kids being reported as sick from schools in parts this month is due to people adhering to guidelines to not show up to school if having even the slightest of symptoms that may relate to Covid-19, and that we should expect this. What that kind of response fails to consider is that there were no reports of the proportion of (open school) classes absent for reported sickness being this high (or higher) during the March-June school period.

My conclusion too is something like yours: that the idea of open schools being able to contain SARS-COV2 is a pipe dream.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 24, 2020 at 6:29 am
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

So, apparently, thousands of Swedes have received a false positive result after taking a commercial covid-19 test. We're talking about 3,700 tests that were positive, but they should have been negative.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/s...presskonferens

Which basically means that the infection rate in Sweden is far lower than what has been reported in mass media and on web pages like worldometers.

As I've already said: The pandemic is over in Sweden and covid-19 has become an endemic disease.
LETTERBOY and ExpatExp like this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedChili
So, apparently, thousands of Swedes have received a false positive result after taking a commercial covid-19 test. We're talking about 3,700 tests that were positive, but they should have been negative.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/s...presskonferens

Which basically means that the infection rate in Sweden is far lower than what has been reported in mass media and on web pages like worldometers.

As I've already said: The pandemic is over in Sweden and covid-19 has become an endemic disease.
Before we celebrate the complete non existence of Covid-19 in Sweden due to this testing error (yes I am being sarcastic), it does not fundamentally change the Swedish numbers 3700 positive tests are potentially flawed and needs to be retested. It is not 3700 that SHOULD have been negative, it is 3700 that COULD have been negative. Even if all 3700 tests turn out to be negative, that moves Sweden from 86.8K positive cases to 83.1K positive cases, it does not dramatically alter the picture of the Swedish infection levels. Sure the cases per million inhabitants goes down a bit, the rate of fatalities to number of positive cases goes up a bit, the number of fatalities in relation to population remains the same.

Some of the articles say that this test has been used over the period March to August, while the doctor interviewed on SVT seemed to indicate June/July, though that was just for his lab. The exact timing of these tests being used is not entirely clear to me, but if they all happened in June/July, it would be a quite dramatic share of reported numbers for that period, if it happened over the period March to August, it is not a big fluctuation. It is unfortunate when flawed tests happens, it happened in other countries as well, it does seem that China has a bit of a supply chain issue in terms of the tests, or they just have lower standards.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Some of the articles say that this test has been used over the period March to August, while the doctor interviewed on SVT seemed to indicate June/July, though that was just for his lab. The exact timing of these tests being used is not entirely clear to me, but if they all happened in June/July, it would be a quite dramatic share of reported numbers for that period, if it happened over the period March to August, it is not a big fluctuation.
When I read the article the first time, there was no time period indicated, but I had the feeling that it was talking about very recent tests. But now they've actually updated the article with new information that it's from March to August. When listening to Dr. Ola Winqvist, it actually sounds like it started in June, when the government was pushing for increased testing. The original article said that it's a self test. As far as I can remember, the self testing started in June.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Strange that Sweden approved such test in the first place... AFAIR the only test universally accepted by authorities is the PCR test?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.