Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Sweden

Coronavirus in Sweden

Old Jun 29, 20, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by tsastor View Post
Is anyone else a little worried about Sweden’s reputation overall?
No.
Old Jun 29, 20, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tsastor View Post
Is anyone else a little worried about Sweden’s reputation overall? Swedish politicians come across ignorant and arrogant and I’m afraid this will be counted as a sin in other sensitive questions, like immigration policy, weapons exports and environmental policy as well.
Not worried one bit about its reputation, unless and until the reputation means that’s Sweden has become more like its neighbors or — worse yet — has become more like (or more under the influence of) any of the individual G19/G20 countries.

Every country of popular note has its issues at times, Sweden also being no exception. And in ten or twenty years this coronavirus situation in Sweden will be but for the history books and academic journals, and a new topic — or an old topic — will be grabbing attention again with regard to Sweden. Contrary to the sense that some may get of Sweden whenever the country gets attention in conjunction with a global/regional crisis or becomes a fashionable whipping boy in parts, Sweden delivers well enough to enough of its people for me to feel like it’s a pretty good place ..... and so perfectly boring in a way that issues tend to get whipped up as a way to break the rather reliable monotony.
Old Jun 29, 20, 5:22 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
If I got the numbers correct this time, they collected nearly $70k in parking fines from just the klags hamn beach and harbor area in Malmo during a part of Saturday. I guess there will be a lot of complaints, pun intended.

Limhamn parking is a pain. Not sure how tightly they monitor the Lidl area and grocery store parking lots there, but I have to assume that there are parking problems everywhere in Malmo since they have a vengeance against parking spots — even eliminating teachers’ free parking spots at schools down in the outer southern reaches of Malmo stad (i.e. Strandhem to Tygelsjo) where there used to be no parking problems.

Isn’t driving in your own car recommended in Sweden over taking packed public transit? I see Skanetrafiken buses in Malmo this month packed at least the same or more than was the case some years back. Going for herd immunity by herding people on buses. Welcome to Sweden in the age of pandemic.
Not so bad around Lidl but it's bad at ICA - I parked there to visit the ICA the first time and as soon as I got out of the car I walked the "wrong" way and a guy asked me where I was going. I said, "ICA", and he pointed me the other way. Anyway after that incident I won't buy anything from that store.

Someone posted a picture of a replacement bus in Greater Stockholm and it was packed. FHM said drive your car - but how can you suddenly go out and buy a car and pay for parking? Apparently according to Kalla Fakta one kommun in Stockholm region imposed no parking in the whole kommun except in the spot you can park (paid parking).

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Putting the kids on the spot is absurd. Isn't there a children's ombudsman to complain to? There seem to be ombudsmen for anything in Sweden. I don't have kids, but I know I would freak completely should a school put kids on the spot for my decisions. Talk to the "guilty party" ie the parents.
The government social authorities in Sweden do this kind of thing as a matter of routine, and they will probably claim they are doing it to get a better/more independent psychological/social assessment of the child(ren)’s situation with less interference than usual from the parents. And the administrative judges who then may get complaints about the social authorities’ more extreme actions are probably also like the other default defenders of the state machine as evident with the the Tegnell support in Sweden too.
I think they want to make the kids think that going to school is more fun than staying at home by asking them to write a statement. There's no children's ombudsman in Sweden unless you count social services but they are not on the parents' side.

That mother was freaked out because she and her 3 kids had 48 hours to reply (normally you have like a week but when she got the paper she only had 48 hours), and she is considering to report the school director to the police for threatening her.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74 View Post
Aftonbladet is saying the virus came to Sweden from Denmark. I of course see that they don't explicitly say that it only came from Denmark but I'm sure that's how it's intended low information readers should interpret it.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...n-till-sverige
Yeah, and I think it all started with Denmark doesn't allow Swedes in, and with all the confusion and now some Swedes can get in as tourists if they can show a negative test done within 72 hours. Region Skane is going to offer this at 200:- a piece according to Sydsvenskan (Ann Linde said everyone get tested for free in the DW interview so that's so not true). Now a lot of Swedes are upset and I see people posting that Danes are everywhere in Emporia and half of the cars there are with Danish licence plate (not true - I'm a regular there and I don't think I see more than 10% Danish licence plates there) and they shouldn't be in Sweden - somehow they forget that there are Danish families that live here. A lot of Swedes are frustrated that Danes can come to Sweden but not vice versa (I think they should blame Tegnell and Lofven).

Now Tegnell is on holiday - maybe it's time for Wallensten to come back?
Old Jun 29, 20, 5:33 pm

The only times when I see even 10-20% of the vehicles at Emporia having DK plates, it’s around the time just before or soon after the grocery stores there open. And at that time the closest outdoor parking lot is mostly empty. And those are exceptions.

Blaming Danes has come back into vogue in Sweden. Amusingly, Norway seems to get more of a pass from Sweden than Denmark. I’ve noted an uptick in N cars too in Sweden.

Are the Region Skane tests free for kids?

Stockholm has been more generous than Malmo in many ways when it comes to healthcare and childcare issues. Maybe Linde thinks all of Sweden works like Stockholm?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 29, 20 at 5:42 pm
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:04 pm

The only times when I see even 10-20% of the vehicles at Emporia having DK plates, it’s around the time just before or soon after the grocery stores there open. And at that time the closest outdoor parking lot is mostly empty. And those are exceptions.

Blaming Danes has come back into vogue in Sweden. Amusingly, Norway seems to get more of a pass from Sweden than Denmark. I’ve noted an uptick in N cars too in Sweden.

Are the Region Skane tests free for kids?

Stockholm has been more generous than Malmo in many ways when it comes to healthcare and childcare issues. Maybe Linde thinks all of Sweden works like Stockholm?
I like to park at their indoor parking - it's weatherproof and it costs the same so why not. Danes are the perfect target for Swedes because they don't let them into buy alcohol I'm still enjoying the Netto by CPH because it's more like a regular Netto than a border alcohol shop.

No idea if Skane gives out the test for free to the kids - it's a paid article from Sydsvenskan, from peoples' comment it seems like it's 200:- a piece and I doubt that kids can get them for free (Vastra Gotaland won't test anyone under 16 - again Ann Linde was either high/delusional/have no idea what she was talking about/lying deliberately).

Linde is from Helsingborg! I guess the capital usually have more resources than the 3rd largest city that has to fund itself by writing out parking tickets
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I like to park at their indoor parking - it's weatherproof and it costs the same so why not. Danes are the perfect target for Swedes because they don't let them into buy alcohol I'm still enjoying the Netto by CPH because it's more like a regular Netto than a border alcohol shop.

No idea if Skane gives out the test for free to the kids - it's a paid article from Sydsvenskan, from peoples' comment it seems like it's 200:- a piece and I doubt that kids can get them for free (Vastra Gotaland won't test anyone under 16 - again Ann Linde was either high/delusional/have no idea what she was talking about/lying deliberately).

Linde is from Helsingborg! I guess the capital usually have more resources than the 3rd largest city that has to fund itself by writing out parking tickets
Vellinge is also big into ticketing parked vehicles. I got a parking ticket for parking for 15-21 minutes outside the gate of a relative’s house in Ljunghusen even when it was far from peak beach season. [The ticket got appealed and they waived the citation/fine. We were surprised to get a ticket/fine for this, especially since the house has been in the family for a long time and it had never been an issue there before.] I wonder how much in parking fines they racked up there this past Saturday, because that beach was as busy as usual for itself in pre-COVID-19 times.

All these residential area beaches seem to be heavy on NIMBY types and heavy with NIMBY ways trying to drive people away from driving in their own cars to the beach and then saying “well, there’s the bus; or bike, or go elsewhere”. And then the Skanetrafiken buses — and the rest/food places along where buses or bikes stop — get more packed than would otherwise be the case.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 30, 20 at 3:58 am
Old Jun 30, 20, 12:20 pm

Vellinge is also big into ticketing parked vehicles. I got a parking ticket for parking for 15-21 minutes outside the gate of a relative’s house in Ljunghusen even when it was far from peak beach season. [The ticket got appealed and they waived the citation/fine. We were surprised to get a ticket/fine for this, especially since the house has been in the family for a long time and it had never been an issue there before.] I wonder how much in parking fines they racked up there this past Saturday, because that beach was as busy as usual for itself in pre-COVID-19 times.

All these residential area beaches seem to be heavy on NIMBY types and heavy with NIMBY ways trying to drive people away from driving in their own cars to the beach and then saying “well, there’s the bus; or bike, or go elsewhere”. And then the Skanetrafiken buses — and the rest/food places along where buses or bikes stop — get more packed than would otherwise be the case.
Have you tried parking in Lund? That's BAD! A long time ago my kids' school there were using parents with cars for free transportation (it's a friskola international school so any spare $ is in their pockets), I was one of their "free workers" and drove to pick up the kids after their swimming lesson at Hogevallsbadet. Within 3 minutes I stopped the car a parking guard came and started taking action (I was INSIDE the car), so I "pretended" to drive off and fortunately the kids came out around that time. Previously we had issue with a parking spot close to Hallands Nation, so some parents including myself wrote to Lunds kommun because there's no safe spots to drop off and pick up the kids - the respond I got was, "we will send more people to write tickets" - WTH?! All we were asking for was some spaces to drop off and pick up children and the answer was to give out more parking tickets.

In Malmo the guards are really nice compared to Lund and I saw them writing parking ticket outside the private international lot (I normally wait at the car so I got to see the action). A guard was checking a parked Masarati that belongs to a mum and he actually stood 15 minutes before writing a ticket! You won't get that in Lund, if your car is parked and you are not there then you are getting a ticket. The worst guard I encountered in Malmo was the one in Hyllie, they told you to leave when you are waiting for someone across the station.

NIMBY thing happened close to that friskola international school in Lund too - the people living nearby hate us because the school is built there and suddenly they have kids screaming and shouting at the new playground.
Old Jul 2, 20, 5:26 pm

The idea about sending out more people to write tickets is that if they charge more people for parking rule violations, then more parking spots will be available or available sooner for others. I am not sure it works well, but I have noticed that Swedish fines for parking/driving may act as an incentive for some people to take the buses/trains even at this time of pandemic .... or to bike if it’s reasonably convenient.

Sweden has a new coronavirus rule for businesses: restaurant/bar/cafe seating must be set up so that each customer/customer group is one meter away from a separate customer/customer group.

Who knows what to make of the following:

Originally Posted by Danish Police website
Persons resident in the regions of Schleswig-Holstein, Scania, Halland or Blekinge can enter Denmark regardless of the purpose of their entry. If your region does not comply with the criteria for being open, you must have a worthy purpose of entering. Otherwise, you must present a negative COVID-19 test upon entry.

As from Saturday, 4 July 2020 at 6:00 am, the above will also apply to persons resident in Norway

https://politi.dk/en/coronavirus-in-...border-regions

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 20 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 2, 20, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Who knows what to make of the following:
At least it doesn’t say to head straight for Nordhavn ... 😛
Old Jul 3, 20, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
At least it doesn’t say to head straight for Nordhavn ... 😛
Even if it did say to come have a dip in the bathing areas where Danish sewage is closest in a way, most southern Swedes are still not allowed into Denmark to play tourist unless showing a recent negative test for this virus. And even with a negative test, having a cough or fever for reasons unrelated to this coronavirus may result in a rejection back to Sweden with its own bathing waters with questionable matter at times.

I made the social faux pas of trying to justify Denmark’s ban against southern Swedes today while in Sweden. Guess what all got tossed my way? .

I find it rather amusing to be on the receiving end of Trump-like lines in Sweden: “this is only because we are so great at testing and testing so many more”; “we should have slowed down the testing”; and “the death rate has fallen, so this whole thing is overhyped”.

In this environment, the Swedish government’s attempt to get extended powers after June 15th failed in the Parliament. If the situation feels “overhyped” to so many Swedes, then of course the government would face an uphill battle to get greater powers to respond to this virus situation at this time.

The government is like the tail on a dog. And it’s to be seen how sick the Swedish dog may get from this coronavirus post-August.
Old Jul 3, 20, 7:45 am

The idea about sending out more people to write tickets is that if they charge more people for parking rule violations, then more parking spots will be available or available sooner for others.
Well, there were plenty of time limited free spots and a lot of them are not free anymore. There were parking guards regularly by Pildammparken even before it was fee paying. I saw a dude went to the 4 hours free parking place and he had like a lot of car keys to change their clock.

If their public transport is constantly on time and good, people will give up their cars. I drive the kids to school and it's cheaper to drive than using public transport.

A bad trend in Sweden regarding the use of mask in public: https://www.thelocal.se/20200630/cou...zJrKsQDoP_2Jg0
Old Jul 4, 20, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Region Skane is going to offer this at 200:- a piece according to Sydsvenskan (Ann Linde said everyone get tested for free in the DW interview so that's so not true).
Is Skane so cheap that they require 200SEK while other regions are free? I assume with a frikort the fee is waived.
I rather wonder if in the future expats want to live in Sweden. Health care isn't that good, schooling apparently either, salaries are not so good, and Sweden has shown it is incapable of making decisions.
When Linde complains there aren't direct flights to Greece for Swedes, she should consider paying the required PCR Tests in the other countries on entry from people living currently in Sweden.

Yesterday in the supermarket a person came very close to me, he was leaning into my face to grab his product from the shelf. I told him to keep his distance and I was laughed at. :-(
Old Jul 4, 20, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by bluesaturn View Post
Is Skane so cheap that they require 200SEK while other regions are free? I assume with a frikort the fee is waived.
I rather wonder if in the future expats want to live in Sweden. Health care isn't that good, schooling apparently either, salaries are not so good, and Sweden has shown it is incapable of making decisions.
When Linde complains there aren't direct flights to Greece for Swedes, she should consider paying the required PCR Tests in the other countries on entry from people living currently in Sweden.

Yesterday in the supermarket a person came very close to me, he was leaning into my face to grab his product from the shelf. I told him to keep his distance and I was laughed at. :-(
Now if you have symptom you can order a PCR test for free in Skane. No idea about the frikort because I never get to that (I tried to avoid seeing doctors in Sweden because I don't trust them personally), my experience has not been good. They did a lot of tests on me but couldn't find anything.

I don't call myself an expat and most foreigners are immigrants like myself (we initiated the move - not sent by a company with a great package). There will still be plenty who will flood to Sweden.

Brits who wants to have access to the EU;
Americans who can't afford health insurance (if they don't earn much you don't pay much tax in Sweden anyway - and they won't be double taxed) - free college education is a big plus
People who are from countries that are worse off than Sweden.

Why Sweden instead of neighbouring countries:
It's super easy to get citizenship - all it takes is 5 years living in Sweden, no language test. You can pretty much cheat that you are in Sweden while living back in your home country (I have friends who are doing that - they went home without telling Skatteverket and register themselves with their friend).
For people from the EU all they need is to open a company and that qualifies for being employed - I doubt you can do that in DK.
Cheap cars and insurance and property tax
Free international schools - at least in Skane

When you are wearing a mask you are protecting the people around you - people should be thanking you for doing that.
Old Jul 4, 20, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by The Economist
Borderline personalitiesCoronavirus is scrambling Scandinavian stereotypes, with Danes no longer thinking of Swedes as meticulous and reliable
Danes once ridiculed Swedes’ cowardice; now they make fun of formality

Swedes tend to consider themselves impeccable in matters moral and sanitary. Being treated as irresponsible carriers of disease has been a bewildering blow.
https://inews.co.uk/news/world/coron...ockdown-471767

It’s an entertaining read, including the aspect about The Bridge with its stereotypes.

Something too few people realize is that there is a lot of xenophobia/racism built-into into the government system and society at large, and one aspect of that has been a built-in superiority complex about who is “moral” and “sanitary” and who is not so much. And that (i.e. not being viewed as morally and sanitarily superior) is why Sweden is struggling with its people being excluded from the welcomed groups of tourists in its neighboring countries and various other places.

And the hiding behind “our deaths were mostly at elderly care homes” kind of rhetoric is full of various dog whistles, even as there is a lot of truth to there being a lot of the deaths from elderly care homes and due to elderly care programs. But decentralization of health care and health care administration/oversight and relative defunding of programs to care for the vulnerable has been an issue going back to many years before this coronavirus hit.
Old Jul 4, 20, 11:25 am

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/coron...ockdown-471767

It’s an entertaining read, including the aspect about The Bridge with its stereotypes.

Something too few people realize is that there is a lot of xenophobia/racism built-into into the government system and society at large, and one aspect of that has been a built-in superiority complex about who is “moral” and “sanitary” and who is not so much. And that (i.e. not being viewed as morally and sanitarily superior) is why Sweden is struggling with its people being excluded from the welcomed groups of tourists in its neighboring countries and various other places.

And the hiding behind “our deaths were mostly at elderly care homes” kind of rhetoric is full of various dog whistles, even as there is a lot of truth to there being a lot of the deaths from elderly care homes and due to elderly care programs. But decentralization of health care and health care administration/oversight and relative defunding of programs to care for the vulnerable has been an issue going back to many years before this coronavirus hit.
When the government said the deaths were mostly at elderly care homes, they also added that it's because the workers are often poor and are immigrants. I have seen people blaming Reinfeldt for cutting this and that - amazing these people think that Reinfeldt was full-time cutting every budget in Sweden. That's non-sense IMO because this cutting budget is something that has been happening for years.

I don't think Sweden has a good image in Greece now: https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/va...ak-pa-grekland

Search this Thread
Search Engine: