Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by RedChili
The Swedish UD recommendations really have nothing to do with the possibility of catching or spreading the virus. It has to do with the practial questions of traveling. That's why they recommend traveling to countries like France and Spain, which are very hard hit, but against traveling to countries like Finland, which have only a handful of cases.
I thought FHM and UD are supposed to work together to fight the spread of Covid-19. If we go to France and Spain, there's a possibly higher risk of getting Covid-19 and bring it back to Sweden and spread it to schools, workplace etc. The weather is beautiful here in Sweden - I don't see any reason to go anywhere except a shopping trip to Germany.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
I thought FHM and UD are supposed to work together to fight the spread of Covid-19. If we go to France and Spain, there's a possibly higher risk of getting Covid-19 and bring it back to Sweden and spread it to schools, workplace etc. The weather is beautiful here in Sweden - I don't see any reason to go anywhere except a shopping trip to Germany.
Actually the current infection rates in France and Spain is very low, while they had massive problems things look better now.

If you look at the chart at the bottom of this article, you can see the number of new infections per 100.000 in countries across Europe.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/re...g-raekke-lande

In reality, the interesting numbers are active cases and new infections. And overall Europe is doing pretty well. With a noteable exception.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:51 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure what they're expected to do, but I saw the press conference where Linde said that the lifting of recommendations was based on the fact that it's now practically possible to travel to those countries. See the UD press release at https://www.regeringen.se/pressmedde...06/ud-avradan/
Anledningen till att avrådan hävs för dessa länder är att de har beslutat att öppna upp för resande från Sverige och övriga EU, vilket innebär att osäkerhetsfaktorer för svenskar minimerats. Beslutet att häva avrådan för dessa länder kommer att gälla från och med den 30 juni 2020 tills vidare ...
Den stora osäkerheten rörande globalt resande kvarstår. Stängda gränser eller omfattande begränsningar av in- och utresemöjligheter, karantänsbestämmelser och utegångsförbud är fortsatt en verklighet i en stor del av världen.
Also, see the Linde speech:

Störningarna i internationell passagerartrafik kvarstår. Samtidigt har det inom Europa skett en positiv utveckling med lättnader av restriktioner som tidigare har varit hinder och risker för svenska resenärer.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'm not sure what they're expected to do, but I saw the press conference where Linde said that the lifting of recommendations was based on the fact that it's now practically possible to travel to those countries. See the UD press release at https://www.regeringen.se/pressmedde...06/ud-avradan/

Also, see the Linde speech:
It is the only logical approach to take really. There is no need to lift travel restrictions to a country that does not allow for reasonably direct and simple access. They would just risk too many people going, and creating undue complications. Both for the travellers, and for UD when they have to disentangle situations. Keep things uncomplicated.
GUWonder and nacho like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is the only logical approach to take really. There is no need to lift travel restrictions to a country that does not allow for reasonably direct and simple access. They would just risk too many people going, and creating undue complications. Both for the travellers, and for UD when they have to disentangle situations. Keep things uncomplicated.
The most uncomplicated way to do this is to just follow FHM's recommendation: travel within Sweden. This way Sweden can't blame imported cases like before, and it reduces the risk of another outbreak when schools start in August.

I saw that graph from DR too - Sweden is the only country in the red zone in the EU.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The most uncomplicated way to do this is to just follow FHM's recommendation: travel within Sweden. This way Sweden can't blame imported cases like before, and it reduces the risk of another outbreak when schools start in August.

I saw that graph from DR too - Sweden is the only country in the red zone in the EU.
The problem is that people feel it is a basic human right to take an all inclusive charter trip to somewhere, and can't accept a summer at home.

As a kid, we had wonderful summer vacations in Denmark as well as in other countries. Also in Sweden, so I know that there are lots of great experiences awaiting people within Sweden, rather than jetting around Europe. So I don't truly understand the obsession with vacation abroad. For people separated from loved ones, I understand, for people just looking for a vacation I don't.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Reported infection rates matter, but the situation with hospitalizations and deaths may tell the more powerful story when differences in testing approaches are harder to factor into the comparative analysis.

The problem is that people feel it is a basic human right to take an all inclusive charter trip to somewhere, and can't accept a summer at home.

As a kid, we had wonderful summer vacations in Denmark as well as in other countries. Also in Sweden, so I know that there are lots of great experiences awaiting people within Sweden, rather than jetting around Europe. So I don't truly understand the obsession with vacation abroad. For people separated from loved ones, I understand, for people just looking for a vacation I don't.
It’s not unusual for many people who have been rather free and privileged to struggle with or otherwise opposed to circumstances where they personally feel less free and feel closer to being treated more like second-class persons than usual.

Many Swedes may find those get-away-from-Sweden, all-inclusive charter and other foreign trips to be a better value for money and time than staying closer to home. And for many Swedes, the summer is the only reasonable time to take most of their vacation days.

By the way, what you called a parallel earlier was nothing more than a cue about the situation about Nordic-region “cohesion” and “brotherly-feeling” today and historically being an easily pierced veil over nationalist sentiments and related ideologies. So I’ll call out the parallel as an absurd parallel too, but I do so for a different reason.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 19, 2020 at 5:25 am
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s not unusual for many people who have been rather free and privileged to struggle with or otherwise opposed to circumstances where they personally feel less free and feel closer to being treated more like second-class persons than usual.

Many Swedes may find those get-way-from-Sweden all-inclusive charter and other foreign trips to be a better value for money and time than staying closer to home. And for many Swedes, the summer is the only reasonable time to take most of their vacation days.

By the way, what you called a parallel earlier was nothing more than a cue about the situation about Nordic-region “cohesion” and “brotherly-feeling” today and historically being an easily pierced veil over nationalist sentiments and related ideologies. So I’ll call out the parallel as an absurd parallel too, but I do so for a different reason.
I missed that reference or meaning in the parallel. But I get your point with the guidance provided now.

I get it, an all inclusive charter break at some (horrid) resort somewhere provides an unbelievable value in some measurements, and it is impossible to find something similar on a trip around Sweden. I guess I was just hoping that people would take this as an opportunity to find other values than bottomless drinks by the pool.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:14 am
Suspended

I missed that reference or meaning in the parallel. But I get your point with the guidance provided now.

I get it, an all inclusive charter break at some (horrid) resort somewhere provides an unbelievable value in some measurements, and it is impossible to find something similar on a trip around Sweden. I guess I was just hoping that people would take this as an opportunity to find other values than bottomless drinks by the pool.
I don’t do all-inclusive charter trips, but I find that they and “summer trip should be abroad” are almost as deeply Swedish as the midsummer holiday today. The Swedish ruling class too will revolt without them.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 2020 at 5:22 am
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's something I really don't get - the weather here is beautiful in summer, I don't see any need to go somewhere hotter. However, it's "built-in" to peoples' mind that you need to go somewhere during summer - like my retired in-laws - they only want to take the kids during summer holidays (for a week) - nope, not autumn break and it has to be in summer. The same goes with my mother-in-law thinks that you don't eat duck during summer months.

You get a lot more for your money if you have your cocktail/beer in a charter place than Sweden, same goes for lodging and eating out.

[QUOTE=GUWonder;32468764]Reported infection rates matter, but the situation with hospitalizations and deaths may tell the more powerful story when differences in testing approaches are harder to factor into the comparative analysis.

Many Swedes may find those get-way-from-Sweden all-inclusive charter and other foreign trips to be a better value for money and time than staying closer to home. And for many Swedes, the summer is the only reasonable time to take most of their vacation days.[QUOTE]

Totally agree with you - number of cases only reflects number of testings. I look at the number of deaths to evaluate how bad the situation is (and how the medical system is handling it).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Denmark has opened up for tourists from Norway and Germany with the only stipulation that they have to book at least six nights to be allowed in to the country. Now, it seems that many tourists book six nights, and then cancel after they've entered Denmark.

In Norwegian:
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/i...-inn-i-danmark
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Denmark has opened up for tourists from Norway and Germany with the only stipulation that they have to book at least six nights to be allowed in to the country. Now, it seems that many tourists book six nights, and then cancel after they've entered Denmark.

In Norwegian:
From the hotel perspective it is easy, just require cancellation the day before arrival. But to be honest book, print, then cancel, it is not like the border officers are going to demand to see a live online booking

From a rules perspective, any rule has loopholes and loopholes will be used. Though to be honest, I never really saw a point in the 6 night rule. Other than maybe trying to increase revenue by forcing people to stay longer. I guess the thought was to mainly serve Germans and Norwegians renting a house by the west coast which is usually a longer period. But I don't know.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Norwegian:
The same cheating method has been used for mainland Chinese to enter Hong Kong without a visa, as all they need is to present a valid flight ticket depart within 7 days. A lot of them bought the full flex ticket ex-HKG and after they went through HK immigration they just cancel their flights and get a refund.

Also the rule about having to be from Skane it's easy too - all you need is to change your address onilne at Skatteverket to a random one in Skane, and then print the personbevis out and then change it back. Apparently it's an issue for people living in Malmo, some people started receiving other peoples' mail and then found out that someone they don't know register in their address and they couldn't do much about it.

There is always a way to cheat through things and some people are more desperate to go to DK and get alcohol than others
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:42 am
Suspended

The Malmo public buses yesterday were packed to the brim and standing-room-only quite often yesterday around Hyllie at least. And the Swedish police working around there told me that the mall at Hyllie was very crowded yesterday and they were hearing a lot more Danish, German, Dutch and Italian than was the case the week before.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:45 am
Suspended

From the hotel perspective it is easy, just require cancellation the day before arrival. But to be honest book, print, then cancel, it is not like the border officers are going to demand to see a live online booking

From a rules perspective, any rule has loopholes and loopholes will be used. Though to be honest, I never really saw a point in the 6 night rule. Other than maybe trying to increase revenue by forcing people to stay longer. I guess the thought was to mainly serve Germans and Norwegians renting a house by the west coast which is usually a longer period. But I don't know.
The six night stay rule was to try to keep foreign tourists from packing Copenhagen — Denmark’s large, dense city — and its public transit system. The virus doesn’t spread as easily amongst as many people in the outdoors and in rural areas as it does indoors and in urban areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.