Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sweden’s approach to testing is still a joke. It reminds me of the worst of what has gone on with testing in the US, but I’m not going to say more about this unless and until there are press articles that can be attributed to other sources in Sweden.

Belarus? Why wouldn’t I take a tinpot banana republic as a role model for keeping things going well during a pandemic?
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:22 am
Original Poster

I don't trust the information from Belarus at all, but I'm puzzled by the fact that all Eastern European countries report relatively low death toll figures for covid-19:

Romania 51 per million
Slovenia 49
Estonia 46
Hungary 44
North Macedonia 44
Moldova 42
Bosnia 33
Czechia 26
Serbia 25
Croatia 22
Poland 21
Lithuania 18
Russia 14
Belarus 14
Montenegro 14
Bulgaria 13
Albania 11
Latvia 10
Ukraine 9
Slovakia 5

So, there are actually some EU countries with lower rates than Belarus, such as Bulgaria, Latvia and Slovakia. I certainly don't expect Latvia to hide the real numbers. Belarus figures are actually in the same range as their neighbors, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, and Ukraine.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:56 am
Suspended

The more insular a society or state is and the less transnational social freedom exists or is utilized in a way to create widespread exposure, the less likely a population is to be hit as hard and as soon. Make me a hermit on some well-stocked floating palace far from everybody more social, and I’m sure that the reported virus deaths for my mythical hermit palace on the sea would be very low for a very long time.

Which of those Eastern European “role-model” countries have strong and reliable testing regimes for this virus and a healthcare system and governments known for reliable reporting and acceptance of such when it comes to unwelcome news? Even trying to do a routine money-laundering investigation aimed at government figures in Poland, Ukraine, Latvia and Lithuania isn’t easy and without its risks.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Belarus? Why wouldn’t I take a tinpot banana republic as a role model for keeping things going well during a pandemic?
I mean, Donald Trump says you're doing fine.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:07 am

The more insular a society or state is and the less transnational social freedom exists or is utilized in a way to create widespread exposure, the less likely a population is to be hit as hard and as soon.
Most of the Eastern European EU states have a large segment of their population working abroad and there's plenty of traffic. These countries instituted lockdowns and/or entry restrictions early however.

Certainly no talk about herd immunity there.

I don't know about Hungary and I don't really trust any news reports about them from either side so to speak. But for the others the above looks like an accurate description.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:02 am
Suspended

Sweden’s recent daily number updates for new virus deaths make Sweden look almost like a land that has gotten beyond this pandemic hitting hard. Let’s hope that is not a mirage due to weekends and related work habits.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Most of the Eastern European EU states have a large segment of their population working abroad and there's plenty of traffic. These countries instituted lockdowns and/or entry restrictions early however.

Certainly no talk about herd immunity there.

I don't know about Hungary and I don't really trust any news reports about them from either side so to speak. But for the others the above looks like an accurate description.
There is plenty of such traffic ordinarily but the timing and location of the spread in Europe and the timing of VFR travel to Poland at least may mean something in this regard: “no talk of herd immunity there”.

The VFR Polish traffic from Scandinavia to Poland dried up big time during the February-May period. Not only did they seem not to want to leave and risk losing work or having trouble getting back, they also seem to have gotten the message that visiting old relatives back in Poland wasn’t a good idea and thus had less than the usual desire to leave Scandinavia back for Poland.

It seems like many of the Catholic Church facilities in Sweden offer Polish-language Sunday school. Are those more common around Stockholm than around other regions of Sweden far to the west and south of Stockholm? My sense was that they were less in demand in Stockholm than in municipalities where SD got more votes than the national average.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 11, 2020 at 7:41 am
Old May 11, 2020, 7:32 am

Sweden’s recent daily number updates for new virus deaths make Sweden look almost like a land that has gotten beyond this pandemic hitting hard. Let’s hope that is not a mirage due to weekends and related work habits.
At least for Stockholm it's looking better. Let's hope it won't be too bad in the provinces.

I received some advice from a doctor that is close to me who had no objections to some family travel happening soon. This is changed since Easter and this indicates to me that things are moving in the right direction. .
Old May 11, 2020, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The more insular a society or state is and the less transnational social freedom exists or is utilized in a way to create widespread exposure, the less likely a population is to be hit as hard and as soon. Make me a hermit on some well-stocked floating palace far from everybody more social, and I’m sure that the reported virus deaths for my mythical hermit palace on the sea would be very low for a very long time.

Which of those Eastern European “role-model” countries have strong and reliable testing regimes for this virus and a healthcare system and governments known for reliable reporting and acceptance of such when it comes to unwelcome news? Even trying to do a routine money-laundering investigation aimed at government figures in Poland, Ukraine, Latvia and Lithuania isn’t easy and without its risks.
This is somewhat off topic, but your post reminded me of what might be an interesting (small) sample and case for comparison: Does anyone know about the situation on the luxury condo cruise ship? I think it's called something like Residence at Sea. Before the virus, IIRC they had been allowing movement on and off in the units that were rented out as guest rooms on particular segments, but the general experience seemed to be that the entire ship was generally very empty with no crowds in common dining rooms and recreational areas.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is somewhat off topic, but your post reminded me of what might be an interesting (small) sample and case for comparison: Does anyone know about the situation on the luxury condo cruise ship? I think it's called something like Residence at Sea. Before the virus, IIRC they had been allowing movement on and off in the units that were rented out as guest rooms on particular segments, but the general experience seemed to be that the entire ship was generally very empty with no crowds in common dining rooms and recreational areas.
You mean The World? It was taken out of service:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ronavirus/amp/

And it’s definitely not going to provide the hermit lifestyle of being all alone since the ship has lots of crew members ordinarily and others resident on board. I would have more success playing hermit on some islands a sub-2-hour boat ride away from central Stockholm than doing so on The World.

Speaking of cruise ships, Stockholm is going to be losing a lot of that business this summer. The drop in international travel demand even to Sweden and the economic downturn isn’t doing me any favors for getting some island accommodations in Sweden any more easily and cheaper than in prior years. Rather it seems like it is going to cost me more to get worse value than was the case a few years back.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 11, 2020 at 8:53 am
Old May 11, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Where did you find that?

The official statistics is here: https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/...45db13f7e/data

It should open in Excel. Choose sheet " Totalt antal per region". B column shows total number of cases and C shows cases/100,000 people. D column shows ICU cases and E column deaths.
Worldometers and Wiki, but they don't have deaths by region. Thanks for the link, Frederick.

Just to understand, when they say "Stockholm" is that Stockholm city, metro, county etc? What is the population I should be using as the denominator?
Old May 11, 2020, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Worldometers and Wiki, but they don't have deaths by region. Thanks for the link, Frederick.

Just to understand, when they say "Stockholm" is that Stockholm city, metro, county etc? What is the population I should be using as the denominator?
That is Stockholm county so around 2.2 million people.
bensyd likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Quite sadly, it seems that it was another weekend delay in reporting, as it was 147 yesterday. I had really hoped we had seen the end of these kind of numbers but let's see what the next days will show.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Sweden’s per capita death rate from this virus is getting increasingly worse than the US’s per capita death rate. And Sweden’s was already quite a bit worse than the US’s. How much longer will that be the case?

Sweden’s per capita death rate from this virus has Sweden even worse than the Netherlands now. Of the EEA countries that aren’t micro-states of sort, only Belgium, France, Italy, Spain and the UK are worse than Sweden in this regard. Let’s call June 15th as the season end for this and see where the final results are for this comparison then.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Sweden’s per capita death rate from this virus has Sweden even worse than the Netherlands now.
The Netherlands doesn't count deaths in nursing homes in the official statistics, and they account for nearly half of all deaths. So the truth is that the Netherlands is almost twice as bad as Sweden.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RedChili
The Netherlands doesn't count deaths in nursing homes in the official statistics, and they account for nearly half of all deaths. So the truth is that the Netherlands is almost twice as bad as Sweden.
I think you might be confusing The UK and The Netherlands here; as the UK had this issue in their numbers for sure, and I have read articles about NL where they look at the effect of retirement homes/nursing homes on the overall statistics. So while The Netherlands may miss out on some, or have a less strict definition of what part of retirement home fatalities they include, they are certainly not entirely without that part of the cases in their numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.