Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Sweden

Coronavirus in Sweden

Old Aug 12, 22, 12:15 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
It is mission impossible: Elbrist is not caused by lack of supply as Sweden is the biggest exporter of electricity in Europe. Which party dares to come up with a plan to renew all the grid?

SD wants nuclear plants, and it's a good solution for back up when the renewables are not reliable, but building one takes 15 years and I wonder which kommun would be happy to host a nuclear plant.
The question is why Sweden forced Vattenfall to close two Ringhals reactors.Not that we don't know but lying politicians could deny it.

Regarding the first point it helps to know that the different prices in the country is due to Denmark's complaints. They first complained we had Barsebck open and after we closed that they then complained we didn't export enough to Denmark...
Old Aug 12, 22, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fredrik74 View Post
The question is why Sweden forced Vattenfall to close two Ringhals reactors.Not that we don't know but lying politicians could deny it.

Regarding the first point it helps to know that the different prices in the country is due to Denmark's complaints. They first complained we had Barsebck open and after we closed that they then complained we didn't export enough to Denmark...
Reactors should perhaps be considered to have a finite lifespan of c. 40 years or so. For technical reasons but also because of technical skills/knowledge transfer issues and to keep people fresh and on their toes.

Isn’t electricity more expensive around Varberg than around Kiruna?

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
They both have SD as their initials

Immigration? I thought the main topics of this election would be elbrist (lead to multiple municipalities had to turn away businesses because they don't have enough electricity supply), high electricity prices, healthcare and crime.

I think Covid-19 is not really a topic in this election because the opinion is that it's over. I doubt any politician will bring that up because every single parliament member was responsible for the high death tolls.
Covid-19 is completely irrelevant in Sweden at this point, and there will be basically no accountability or credit for what went on during the pandemic.

Given that even Scandinavian billionaires are marking down their Swedish property prices to try to get property sales to happen, and given the inflation and interest rate scene is hitting the property market and consumers in general, the appetite to rush up the property-related taxes can’t be great. Who wants property taxes back in an environment like this.

There seems to be more growing appetite in Sweden to mass-medicate poor children for ADHD than to even make children get vaccinated against Covid-19.

This evening on the way back into Sweden from Copenhagen, I saw no Swedish border control at Hyllie. In the area between Malmo Arena and the Hyllie train station, I did see two residual Swedish police cars — one marked and one unmarked — parked where it’s illegal for the average Svensson to park. In other words, the police had drawn down most of the remaining passport control presence by the time I returned today. Could have been dinner break this time, but not sure about that.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 12, 22 at 3:53 pm
Old Aug 13, 22, 3:06 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Sweden needs a renewed grid for the nation. The excess electricity produced in the north can't really get to the south. I think Ringhals needs a renovation too.

It's profitable to sell electricity with the current prices and Sweden needs a new nuclear plant and grid.

Denmark is a bit like Germany about nuclear power. The land in Barseback can be super desirable for building expensive villas.

About mass medicating children with ADHD/autism, it's not something new. I know someone who told me that if a parent contacted bup and they will certainly medicate the child as the first thing.

I have seen police in Sweden parking illegally in various places. I used the ferry to Sweden and never got checked. I don't know if checking passport is mostly for the bridge.
Old Aug 13, 22, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
So as vacations get wrapped up and coughing in Sweden starts to become increasingly prevalent again on public transport, Sweden goes back to ramping up border control checks for those arriving into Malmo on the trains from CPH during the busy commuter hours. What a wasteful dog and pony show.
What does this entail? Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 22, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
What does this entail? Thanks.
If getting off at the Hyllie stop in Sweden, it may involve checking your passport biodata page against you, checking passport stamps, and asking about the stay location and purpose of stay. Only the first of those is the most common when encountering passport control in Sweden when taking the train into the country in southern Sweden when using a US passport.

For those arriving train passengers not getting off the train at the Hyllie stop, then the passport control personnel may board the train at the Hyllie stop and perform these passport/ID checks for all passengers before allowing the train to continue onward. At times, its this on-board passport/ID check that is most variable in how long it takes to conclude.

Its a wasteful dog and pony show when its performed since it involves so many personnel and vehicles to hassle people who can get into Sweden pretty easily anyway by just coming later or taking another way and asylum/refugee claimants are mostly admitted anyway.
js1993 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 22, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
If getting off at the Hyllie stop in Sweden, it may involve checking your passport biodata page against you, checking passport stamps, and asking about the stay location and purpose of stay. Only the first of those is the most common when encountering passport control in Sweden when taking the train into the country in southern Sweden when using a US passport.

For those arriving train passengers not getting off the train at the Hyllie stop, then the passport control personnel may board the train at the Hyllie stop and perform these passport/ID checks for all passengers before allowing the train to continue onward. At times, it’s this on-board passport/ID check that is most variable in how long it takes to conclude.

It’s a wasteful dog and pony show when it’s performed since it involves so many personnel and vehicles to hassle people who can get into Sweden pretty easily anyway by just coming later or taking another way and asylum/refugee claimants are mostly admitted anyway.
Thanks. Nothing related to Covid vax or testing?
Old Aug 16, 22, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
Thanks. Nothing related to Covid vax or testing?
They gave up checking for vaccination and testing results since Sweden gave up such requirements. So coughing up a lung without a test result or vaccination proof is not a problem at these checkpoints anymore. They unfortunately didn’t give up the passport/ID checks.
js1993 likes this.

Search this Thread