FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nordic Region (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/)
-   -   Denmark is closing borders for non-citizens and similar for one month (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region/2012766-denmark-closing-borders-non-citizens-similar-one-month.html)

LiHS Mar 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Denmark is closing borders for non-citizens and similar for one month

Just in over the last hour - Denmark closes borders to most non-citizens for a month.

Bloomberg: Denmark Closes Borders as Efforts to Fight Virus Escalated

Originally Posted by Bloomberg

Denmark Closes Borders as Efforts to Fight Virus Escalated

March 13, 2020, 7:15 PM GMT+1Updated on March 13, 2020, 7:47 PM GMT+1Denmark’s government is temporarily closing the country’s borders and will bring in the military to help fight the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. The measures are needed to stem the contagion, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said at a press conference in Copenhagen on Friday. “We’re painfully aware that this will have severe consequences” for businesses and families, Frederiksen said. But the evidence suggests the extreme reaction is justified, she said. The prime minister added that she herself had been tested for the virus, after feeling unwell, but that the result was negative.

“We can see how the situation in Italy developed in a catastrophic direction,” she said. “Everything we’re doing is to ensure that we get through this situation in a different way.” Essential items such as food and medicine will still be allowed into the country, as will other imports. Danes, Danish residents and green card holders abroad trying to re-enter will be let in, Frederiksen said. For everyone else, the country’s borders will be closed until April 14 and people arriving in Denmark will be sent back. Frederiksen said Denmark coordinated its decision with Brussels and with its neighboring countries. The so-called Schengen rules that enable passport-free travel across much of Europe have not been suspended, but the current emergency allows for exceptions, according to an official in the Danish government. Denmark currently has 801 confirmed cases of the virus, with four in a critical condition. Frederiksen said the government is expecting that number to increase, even with the latest measures.

It's not entirely clear what rules for transit passengers are as yet.

Fredrik74 Mar 13, 2020 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by LiHS (Post 32180166)
It's not entirely clear what rules for transit passengers are as yet.

Normally the airport is used by Swedes from the southern part of the country. Not that many are travelling these days but still.

LiHS Mar 13, 2020 1:35 pm

There's both that, as well as connections to elsewhere in the Nordics as repatriation accelerates in the coming days.

nacho Mar 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Denmark shuts down its border until Apr 13

Only foreigners work in Denmark and Danish nationals are let in.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2020-...4cjXpwQCD6_Jr4

Often1 Mar 13, 2020 2:22 pm

One ought to check with the Embassy / Consulate for written guidance on transit. Norway issued guidance covering flight crews but not transit. Thus, one must presume absent further writing from Norway that transit passengers are covered.

I presume that air carriers will simply deny boarding unless they have clear authority that they won't be in violation by transporting someone.

LiHS Mar 14, 2020 11:23 am

6 hours after borders were shut, here are a collection of updates.

Advisory from CPH airport

Originally Posted by CPH airport, verbatim
Travel restrictions in Copenhagen Airport
The Danish Government has on Friday the 13th of March 2020 decided to temporarily close all Danish borders effectively from Saturday the 14th of March 2020 at 12:00 (GMT+1) This means that after this time passengers will only be allowed entry, if they are included in the following:
  1. Danish Citizens, who can provide a Danish passport or other valid traveling document.
  2. EU-Citizens with valid travelling documents living in Denmark and who can provide/present a Danish social security card. (Gult sygesikringsbevis el. Sundhedskort)
  3. Third country nationals with valid travelling documents and with Danish residence permit
  4. Foreigners who have a valid purpose in Denmark, (e.g.)
    1. Visiting a critically or terminal ill family member
    2. Participating in a funeral
    3. Called for a court case
    4. Exercising visitation rights with a minor
    5. Being a legal guardian for a minor
    6. Already in an ongoing health treatment
    7. Have employment in Denmark – documentation needed
    8. Passengers in transit or with connecting flights, and who can provide/present valid ticket for next destination which must be non-domestic.
    9. Passengers who can provide documentation for having their vehicle parked at Copenhagen Airport, and who need the vehicle for their ongoing journey out of Denmark (e.g. to Sweden)
These regulations, bullits 1-4, applies for all passengers arriving from a Schengen or a non-Schengen destination. All passengers who do not apply to the above, 1-4, will be refused entry. The above does not include domestic flights and flights from Faroe Islands and Greenland. For further information see Danish Police website: https://politi.dk/coronavirus-i-danm...erestriktioner

Travelling to and from Sweden
Swedish passengers are allowed to arrive in CPH if they are going straight to Sweden via train or car. Pls be aware that you will have to go through check-point in CPH with all other travelers. Swedish passengers departing from CPH cannot cross the border from Sweden unless they have a commendable purpose. Read more her: https://politi.dk/coronavirus-i-danm...erestriktioner

Advice regarding travel to/from Sweden is corroborated by Copenhagen police:

It seems like Norway is soon closing all airports, so the numbers of transit passengers at CPH will additionally drop.

GUWonder Mar 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Fredrik74 (Post 32180210)
Normally the airport is used by Swedes from the southern part of the country. Not that many are travelling these days but still.

I was there yesterday. Amusingly, I since found out that using a US passport to get to CPH from Sweden worked better than to try to use a Swedish passport to get to CPH even when both were ticketed to originate travel out of CPH.

It seems Denmark is intent to see reduced demand for travel in and out of CPH, and frustrating Swedish demand for air travel out of CPH is a more major way to do that than to go after American travel demand out of CPH.

Swedes and Danes and others living in Sweden can still go back and forth between Denmark and Sweden via the bridge if they are working in Denmark, If they are dealing with child custody/visitation rights/agreements or meet a limited set of various other circumstances allowing an exemption to the restriction.

Train traffic across the bridge was stopped today and replaced by buses, but that was scheduled infrastructure-related work. When the trains start again, they will be reduced down to one train an hour.

nacho Mar 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 32185357)
I was there yesterday. Amusingly, I since found out that using a US passport to get to CPH from Sweden worked better than to try to use a Swedish passport to get to CPH even when both were ticketed to originate travel out of CPH.

It seems Denmark is intent to see reduced demand for travel in and out of CPH, and frustrating Swedish demand for air travel out of CPH is a more major way to do that than to go after American travel demand out of CPH.

Swedes and Danes and others living in Sweden can still go back and forth between Denmark and Sweden via the bridge if they are working in Denmark, If they are dealing with child custody/visitation rights/agreements or meet a limited set of various other circumstances allowing an exemption to the restriction.

Train traffic across the bridge was stopped today and replaced by buses, but that was scheduled infrastructure-related work. When the trains start again, they will be reduced down to one train an hour.

Using a US passport to try to catch a flight from CPH shows that you are going home. The whole point of this is to get people to go home.

Now Malmö told people to carpool because trains are being replaced by buses. They reopen Svågertorp parking and charge 1sek per hour. They think the buses can't handle the people and at the same time lots of people asking skanetrafiken for a refund for their unusable monthly card.

Malmö university is closed but not normal schools.

airoli Aug 3, 2020 6:52 am

I understand that Denmark has opened borders again to tourists from "open" (safe) countries, provided that they book a minimum of 6 nights in Denmark.
I have a weekend trip to CPH planned for later this month. Is there any word in Denmark about the minimum-stay requirement (which seems to be a bit counter-intuitive) being lifted? My weekend trip is fully refundable and so if I can't go, that's okay. Just curious.

nacho Aug 4, 2020 9:54 am

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 32577884)
I understand that Denmark has opened borders again to tourists from "open" (safe) countries, provided that they book a minimum of 6 nights in Denmark.
I have a weekend trip to CPH planned for later this month. Is there any word in Denmark about the minimum-stay requirement (which seems to be a bit counter-intuitive) being lifted? My weekend trip is fully refundable and so if I can't go, that's okay. Just curious.

So far the requirements are the same with the 6 nights thing - and all you need is to show that you have a print out of a reservation for 6 nights and that is. If you are from Southern Sweden there's no 6 nights restrictions.

GUWonder Aug 4, 2020 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 32580826)
So far the requirements are the same with the 6 nights thing - and all you need is to show that you have a print out of a reservation for 6 nights and that is. If you are from Southern Sweden there's no 6 nights restrictions.

And when it comes to the persons coming into Denmark from the relevant parts of southern Sweden wanting to avoid the 6 night thing while not using any other exemptions, they need to present some documentation showing they are registered (with the Swedish government) as a resident of the relevant parts of southern Sweden.

vanillabean Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am

Now that various changes are materializing these days, does anyone know what’s expected of you upon arrival following the free test at Kastrup? It’s my understanding that you won’t be notified if the result is negative and you will within 48 hours if it’s positive. But what are you supposed to do in either case?