Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Driving in Iceland with a Swiss License?

Old Feb 27, 20, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Dear fellow Flyertalkers,
Topic says it all: Is it possible to drive in Iceland with a Swiss driving license, or, should I make sure I have an "international" driving license/permit too?

Thanks in advance. I did a bit of searching, but, did not find anything too conclusive.

Best,
RedRobin
Old Feb 27, 20, 6:37 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Iceland accepts all EU/EEC licenses, so no need for an IDP.

Driving there is a piece of cake - the road infrastructure is great!
Be aware of a few things:
- Check the weather forecast - things can change very quickly, especially in unsheltered areas (in areas with no mountains).
- Hold your car doors when you open them. If there's high wind, it can bend the doors and cause a lot of damage that you'll be liable for.
- Beware of American drivers who have never driven in Europe (Iceland, like the rest of Europe, follows the Vienna convention for driving rules).
- Do not speed - the enforcement is exactly like in Switzerland.

I was there in October and rented a 4x4. In hindsight that was unneeded. Where you go and the time of year you go will determine whether or not you need a 4x4.
RedRobin and GUWonder like this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Iceland accepts all EU/EEC licenses, so no need for an IDP.
Thanks, I was worried because Swiss license does not have expiry date.. .and I read something somewhere that one must had to have among other things an expiry date on their license.
Old Feb 27, 20, 6:52 am

If you're worried, Driver's license | Drivers Licence | Cars | English | Fjölmenningarsetur
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
- Check the weather forecast - things can change very quickly, especially in unsheltered areas (in areas with no mountains).
- Hold your car doors when you open them. If there's high wind, it can bend the doors and cause a lot of damage that you'll be liable for.
- Beware of American drivers who have never driven in Europe (Iceland, like the rest of Europe, follows the Vienna convention for driving rules).
I was there in October and rented a 4x4. In hindsight that was unneeded. Where you go and the time of year you go will determine whether or not you need a 4x4.
Thanks! specially for the "hold the door"... that's funny, but, I am sure if it happened to me, would not feel the same way. Going in early/mid april, so hoping wont be too bad...
Old Feb 28, 20, 3:28 pm

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
All of April is still winter that close to the Arctic Circle so do expect strong winds. I expect you have decent snow/ice driving background, but the winds are an added "treat" when driving on Iceland's narrow and winding roads in winter. No guardrails, no tree breaks, no curbs, so do watch the forecasts and read the weather indication signs near mountain passes and take appropriate care!
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by RedRobin View Post
Thanks! specially for the "hold the door"... that's funny, but, I am sure if it happened to me, would not feel the same way. Going in early/mid april, so hoping wont be too bad...
I learned to drive in San Francisco, where when perpendicular parking on a steep hill also requires you to hold the doors, otherwise, the car next to you gets damaged.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: