Wiki Posts
Search

Stockholm ARN / Arlanda Connection & Transfer [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Stockholm ARN / Arlanda Connection & Transfer [merged thread]

We have a longish connecting time at Arlanda (5-6 hours) and was wondering if there are any suggestions as to how to fill the time. This is in 3 weeks time (mid-November) so the weather is unlikely to be that good, we will be travelling Business and arriving at terminal 2 and leaving from terminal 5 and won't be particularly warmly dressed as heading to hotter climes for 5 months and don't want to be lugging big coats. I used to travel to ARN quite a bit in the 1980's but haven't been there since then so a lot must have changed in that time. I had considered heading out to Uppsala for a few hours as I've never been there but as already said that would be very weather dependent.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:03 am

It's difficult to give good advice since you don't say what airline and/or destinations are involved, will there be passport control, do you need to recheck the baggage, etc., but 5-6 hours is generally speaking not much time.

A train to Uppsala takes only 18 minutes, but it's pricey (SEK 216 one-way), only two departures per hour, and it's basically a 10-15 minute walk from the gate in T2. So, if we assume that you arrive from Schengen and don't have any baggage to recheck, you could be in Uppsala between 30-65 minutes from arrival in T2.

The bus is much cheaper (SEK 96 one-way) and is maximum a 5 minute walk from the gate, but takes 40 minutes, with two departures per hour. With the same assumptions as above, you could be in Uppsala between 45-75 minutes from arrival in T2.

Or you could pre-order a taxi from www.uppsalataxi.se for SEK 520 one-way (up to 4 people), which will take you straight to your desired destination in Uppsala. Gate to the center of Uppsala should be done in 35 minutes.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Red Chili and sorry for the lack of information. We arrive from LHR on BA776(T2) and will be leaving on SK1605(T5) to Zurich where we will overnight and leave the next morning on SQ345 to SIN then SQ281 onward to Auckland where we will be spending the summer. I guess the best option will be to wait around in the lounge as we will probably be tired after a 4am start from home and it looks like the time in Uppsala would be limited anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:48 am

I believe that BA and SK don't have an interline agreement anymore, so this means that you'll have to enter Schengen at T2, claim the baggage, and then bring it to the SAS check-in in T5. In my estimate, this would take at least an hour, possibly more. And you need to be back at the airport at least 30 minutes prior to departure, so that leaves perhaps only three hours, or an hour or so in Uppsala. You could see the Uppsala Cathedral, but that's about it. [OT comment removed by mod]
:D! likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 27, 2020 at 12:14 am
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

All good information, thanks. I guess spending some down time in the lounge won't be bad thing and thanks for the tip on retrieving and checking in the bags. It's not a "through" ticket as LHR-STO-LHR is separate, the STO-ZRH-SIN-AKL return is an ex-EU Singapore Airlines ticket and the STO-ZRH is on SK and the ZRH-STO is on LX. Wanted to go via ZRH to try the new SQ business class and had to try very hard to get this routing as normally STO-SIN-AKL is via DME, FRA or CPH which I didn't want to do.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

ARN Transfers

I will be arriving into ARN on LX from Zurich (T5) at 09:20 and departing to LHR on BA (T2) at 11:25 so 2hrs and 5mins between flights, is there a quick way to transfer between terminals as I'm getting a bit concerned because recently the flight from Zurich is delayed about 1 in 3 times, also do I have to clear customs and immigration if transferring from Switzerland to London? I will have to collect the bags on arrival and re-check them as I'm transferring from *A to Oneworld and I doubt that they will check my bags through to London as I've separate tickets (AKL-SIN-ZRH(stopover)-ARN on SQ ticket and ARN-LHR on a BA ticket).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:42 am

FYI, there is a thread on ARN connections on FT SAS forum, where this sort of questions have been asked and answered frequently, but I guess it worth to give a quick overview:
- For transferring between ARN terminals there are two options: an airside bus and going via landside. Obviously the airside transfer is no good, if one needs to recheck the luggage.
- Going via landside means you go thru a customs checkpoint (should not cause any delay assuming you have nothing to declare and there isn't anything suspious warranting customs officers to stop you) and then going thru a security check before re-entering airside.
- Before entering non-Schengen gates there is a passport control.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Hezu, I did see the posts you mention but was unclear about the baggage/customs/security situation if the bags aren't cleared all the way through to London from Zurich. I guess the situation is that we collect the bags and then clear customs and then transfer landside to T2 and re-check the bags etc. so just have to hope the timekeeping improves and there is not a heavy delay from Zurich!!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
If you're on two separate tickets then hopefully LX will interline your bags to your final destination. If not, at Arlanda you will arrive at T5, collect your bags, walk through customs (I've never been stopped), I recommend walking to T2 - it's probably 10 minutes and all indoors, check in your bags, security then immigration. Arlanda is quite an efficient airport but like anywhere queues can build up depending on the time of day.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forced immigration & security check on intra-Schengen connection

Allow extra time! Arriving on an LH-group flight this month on gate 20 required go thru immigration & security to get back to the Schengen departure area.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Allow extra time! Arriving on an LH-group flight this month on gate 20 required go thru immigration & security to get back to the Schengen departure area.
Sounds like the placement for passport control checking Covid19 test results for those coming from various parts of the Schengen area beyond the Nordics. On Thursday, that changes so it should no longer be that way for that or any LH group airline flight.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Any news if T4 is opening again in the W21/22 schedule? I'm looking at a MUC-ARN-LLA flight in early March with a 45 min connection which is only possible if the LLA flight stays in T5...
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Any news if T4 is opening again in the W21/22 schedule? I'm looking at a MUC-ARN-LLA flight in early March with a 45 min connection which is only possible if the LLA flight stays in T5...
I would say it's very unlikely now that air traffic is down again.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It appears that you should be fine then. As of yet, I've come across no indications of it changing back before March is over.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 1:20 pm

First time abroad - educate me?

My first time out of the USA. I'm flying to Stockholm on SAS, carry-on only, Plus seats (premium). I then transfer to Austrian airlines to fly to Vienna. I'm trying to find out: what I need to do, where I need to go, and how I get to where I have to go, from the time I step off the SAS plane to my arrival at the Austrian gate. I am flying business class on Austrian.

-- Specifically, where is customs/immigration located? I do not need to go to baggage claim... Is there some type of signage that I need to look for? Any shortcuts to get there, or confusion to avoid?
-- It looks like I have to re-enter through security after clearing customs/immigration. I believe I get fast-track with my Austrian tickets. How does that work/how do I find it?

Any other advice for a novice international traveller?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.