Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

OSL Airport to City Center

OSL Airport to City Center

Old Nov 30, 19, 10:02 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 197
OSL Airport to City Center

Looking for recommendations for getting from the airport (OSL) to the city center (near the main train station) where we will be staying. Only plan on getting a car for the specific days we need it. I think (maybe) the train is the best option? How easy/frequent is it? On arrival we prefer a pretty straight forward option as we are tired from the flight.

Any great hotels near the main train station that are recommended?

Plan on staying as one of the Radisson's at the airport the night before leaving.

Thanks in advance!
boatnfish is offline  
Old Dec 1, 19, 12:41 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Posts: 34
Normal city train is super easy. Donít bother with the express, itís a total rip-off and not very much faster.
:D! likes this.
petit_manchot is offline  
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:28 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by petit_manchot View Post
Normal city train is super easy. Donít bother with the express, itís a total rip-off and not very much faster.
Thank you!

Looking the difference in time appears to be 5 minutes longer at about half the cost. Great to know!

Now to look into the frequency of the trains.
boatnfish is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ARN
Posts: 2,800
Originally Posted by petit_manchot View Post
Normal city train is super easy. Donít bother with the express, itís a total rip-off and not very much faster.
The time saved depends on when you arrive at the train station. Just take today as an example:

Let's say that you are at the airport train station at 11:15: The next express leaves at 11:20 and arrives at 11:39, while the next regular train leaves at 11:43 and arrives at 12:06, so that would be 27 minutes saved.
RedChili is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 6:48 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 197
Good point. Sounds like they have the trains offset in time enough for people to take the express train for the time.

Thanks
boatnfish is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 7:58 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AA MM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,057
I just got back from Oslo on Thursday (U.S. Thanksgiving Day). I took the local train both ways and never even considered taking the airport train due to its considerably higher cost. The local trains run frequently enough, and even if you hit it at the wrong time, the airport train would not (to me) be worth the extra cost. But then, I am a leisure traveler and felt the high cost of living in pretty much everything I did in Oslo! Spend the extra time until the next train by visiting the ATM or getting info from the pleasant and helpful folks at the tourist information office.

The Radisson Blu near the train station looked nice on the outside but was far outside my budget. I stayed at the Best Western Plus City Hotel and had the smallest hotel room that I've stayed in in a very long time -- and it was a double room, which is an upgrade from the single that I had booked. Even still, the room cost about US$110. One suggestion: Book a hotel (or a rate) that includes a breakfast buffet, so you can cover two meals with it.
mikew99 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:31 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
I just got back from Oslo on Thursday (U.S. Thanksgiving Day). I took the local train both ways and never even considered taking the airport train due to its considerably higher cost. The local trains run frequently enough, and even if you hit it at the wrong time, the airport train would not (to me) be worth the extra cost. But then, I am a leisure traveler and felt the high cost of living in pretty much everything I did in Oslo! Spend the extra time until the next train by visiting the ATM or getting info from the pleasant and helpful folks at the tourist information office.

The Radisson Blu near the train station looked nice on the outside but was far outside my budget. I stayed at the Best Western Plus City Hotel and had the smallest hotel room that I've stayed in in a very long time -- and it was a double room, which is an upgrade from the single that I had booked. Even still, the room cost about US$110. One suggestion: Book a hotel (or a rate) that includes a breakfast buffet, so you can cover two meals with it.
Thanks for the information. We like to stay near the airport the night before our departure to make getting to the flight easy.

Did you have any issues using U.S. chip credit cards without a pin? I have been finding conflicting information on this.

Thanks again!
boatnfish is offline  
Old Yesterday, 12:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AA MM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,057
Originally Posted by boatnfish View Post
Did you have any issues using U.S. chip credit cards without a pin? I have been finding conflicting information on this.
One of the nice things about Oslo (and Stockholm, which I also visited on this trip) is how pervasive card readers are, from food trucks to Christmas markets. Even the Free Walking Tour guide in Stockholm carried a portable cardreader so people could tip him by card!

I had no issues using my U.S.-based credit cards in Oslo. A few places accepted my contactless AMEX card. Very few places did not accept my AMEX at all, and I had to use my chipped Visa card. When using a chipped card, I was required to sign a receipt most (but not all) of the time. At the airport, the local train (Vy/NSB) ticketing machines accepted my chipped AMEX without a PIN.
mikew99 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 7:45 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 197
Great to know!

Thanks
boatnfish is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread