Hotels around Oslo

Old Sep 6, 19, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Hotels around Oslo

Haven't found much recent information for Oslo.

Looking for hotel recommendations in/around Oslo. Almost positive we will have a car, so prefer a hotel with free or reasonable prices to park the car which we may not use everyday especially if the hotel is walking distance to the trains/trams/etc. We will be visiting a relative who will be studying at the university and will be living close to the ski jump & museum. It definitely isn't required to be at that location.

Any favorite restaurants would be appreciated as well. We really enjoy dining at small local places that have a specialty which doesn't have to be local foods.

Suggestions on day trips outside of Oslo would also be appreciated. We will be there the first week in April, 2020.

From other threads it seems that staying at one of the two airport hotels the night before we leave is a good plan.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Sep 8, 19, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by boatnfish View Post
Haven't found much recent information for Oslo.

Looking for hotel recommendations in/around Oslo. Almost positive we will have a car, so prefer a hotel with free or reasonable prices to park the car which we may not use everyday especially if the hotel is walking distance to the trains/trams/etc. We will be visiting a relative who will be studying at the university and will be living close to the ski jump & museum. It definitely isn't required to be at that location.

Any favorite restaurants would be appreciated as well. We really enjoy dining at small local places that have a specialty which doesn't have to be local foods.

Suggestions on day trips outside of Oslo would also be appreciated. We will be there the first week in April, 2020.

From other threads it seems that staying at one of the two airport hotels the night before we leave is a good plan.

Thanks in advance!!
You say museum. Do you mean the ski museum? Iíd consider Holmenkollen hotel; it isnít that great but has indoor parking and is close to the ski jump. Thereís also Voksenasen but not sure what thatís like. Hotels in Nydalen are also likely to have parking, and this the radisson may have one.
Old Sep 8, 19, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the Ski Museum.

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Copy and pasting from a previous thread about parking in Oslo:

"We liked our stay at the Thon Cecil. However, the Thon's own parking is permanently unavailable due to a technical problem with the lift for getting cars down to the parking area, and they don't intend to fix it.

That said, when space is available, the public parking at the Scandic Victoria next door is open to Thon guests (and the general public too, for that matter). Or, I suppose, you could stay at the Victoria too. Don't remember the nightly price in NOK as of right now, but the price in US was $37 (which is 337NOK as of today), so I would expect it's somewhere between 335 and 340NOK per night.

FWIW, we stayed at both Thon hotels and Scandic hotels during our visit, and I personally preferred the Thon hotels.

If no parking is available at the Victoria, your best bet for overnight parking would be the public parking lots over near the Oslo Konserthus."

We've also stayed at the Continental previously, but it's now priced beyond our budget. Not really sure how that's happened over the years, except maybe that my salary hasn't kept pace with inflation. Parking at the Continental is currently 495NOK per night, according to the hotel's web site.

For food, as of this most recent time we visited, I would recommend Mahayana Asian for Chinese (it's just around the corner form the Cecil on Stortingsgata at Tordenskiolds gate) and then Mama's Pizza on Dronningens gate. Warning that their pizza is more like the Italian style thin crust than anything an American might be used to (I don't know where you are from?), but it's good. The place always appears to be packed and, although we got our pizza to go, I ran into a couple of (apparent) working girls in the hotel lift who swore that the pizza from Mama's is the best in town. So there is your local endorsement, and I can't bring myself to disagree.

Edit: Oh, the most (or maybe the only) frustrating thing about having a car in Oslo Sentrum was the crazy system of one-way streets and streets closed to traffic other than trams, buses, and taxis. So frustrating, in fact, that I found myself saying "the hell with it" and using those roads anyhow. It probably didn't hurt any that I was in town on the weekend, so the roads were pretty quiet at night, but I didn't see much traffic enforcement going on and I haven't gotten any notification yet from the rental car company concerning any infractions that might have been caught by electronic means.

Last edited by mwalsh; Sep 11, 19 at 12:15 pm
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Yes, ski Museum.

Thanks for the information. We will look into the Holmenkollen.

Search this Thread