Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copenhagen area question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Copenhagen area question

We are a family of 4 visiting for the first time in Aug. We'll be there for 4 solid days and the plan is to Airbnb. Im torn between staying in Indre By vs Meatpacking district. We live in Brooklyn, plan on doing a lot of walking, some biking and some public transport. We want to see the sites but also want good cafes, coffee shops and restaurants. Touristy is fine but dont want to be in the equivalent of times square (not that there is even close to such an atrocity there). I read Meatpacking has some seedy parts, but I cant imagine they are anything as bad as around Penn Station

Looking forward to recommendations.

Last edited by precision80; Jun 4, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not an expert on Copenhagen, but I spent 10 days there a couple of years ago. I also have lived in NYC (the Village).
First, nothing in Copenhagen that I saw compares with the meaner streets in NYC. Since you said a family, I'm going on the assumption your family includes 2 kids. With a family, I'd select Indre By. Meatpacking District just seems better for young adults to me. I'm in my late 40s and I felt old around there (could be just me).
I rented an apartment on Nyhavn from
Apartment in Copenhagen
I highly recommend checking this local agency out while looking for a place.
Now, Nyhavn is really picturesque, often used as the iconic view of Copenhagen. It's loaded with restaurants and bars and can be a circus. It's fun and loud.
But, the apartment we had was in a courtyard between Nyhavn and and Sankt Anne and no matter what was happening on Nyhavn, it was as quiet as a village. (I just checked and unfortunately this apartment - at #31 Nyhavn - was no longer listed, but there are others).
Five minutes walk from Kongens Nytorv gives you easy access to everything.
In the city, on your first trip, of course you have to go to Tivoli and walk down Stroget (big LEGO store).
We enjoyed Amelianborg and Rosenborg Palaces. We also went to the Carlsberg Brewery, but that might not work for your family. However, nearby is Frederiksberg Slot, a lovely park.
I thought the Little Mermaid was eminently missable.
There are terrific museums as well, I particularly like the Design Museum.
You'll have a full four days. It's a truly great city.
One last tip - if you decide castles and museums aren't for you and you want to take a special trip, catch a train to Roskilde and spend the day at the Viking Ship Museum. Watch long ships being built in the traditional manner and even take a ride in one!
Have fun!
​​​​​​

Last edited by rickg523; Jun 4, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks Rickg, super helpful and I reached out to Apts in Copenhagen.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by precision80
Thanks Rickg, super helpful and I reached out to Apts in Copenhagen.
One more tip. Take a look at the
Copenhagen Card
after you sort out your basic itinerary. It's one of those transit pass/discount admission cards that are common in European cities. But you definitely want to add it up with a party of four to make sure there's value there. Worked for us, but we were two adults and the trains to Roskilde and Humleboek(sp?) - site of the fantastic Louisiana Art Museum - was included.
You're going to love this trip! And only wish you had more time. We were ready to emigrate after a ten day stay
precision80 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:44 am

I've been to that area and didn't think it was bad by American standards. I love the Mikkeller location there - Warpigs. Awesome BBQ but not a place for kids. I've walked to and from there from the train and it's just quiet at night.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Something else to do near Copenhagen is Lund. It's in Sweden, and is a lovely old university town.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
I've been to that area and didn't think it was bad by American standards. I love the Mikkeller location there - Warpigs. Awesome BBQ but not a place for kids. I've walked to and from there from the train and it's just quiet at night.
From what I read, Im not really worried about it being "safe" more just concerned with staying in the right location for what we are looking for. I read a bunch of reviews that said Indre By is a zoo at night but want to make sure Meatpacking has ample cafe's, grocery stores etc. Does it?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I read, Im not really worried about it being "safe" more just concerned with staying in the right location for what we are looking for. I read a bunch of reviews that said Indre By is a zoo at night but want to make sure Meatpacking has ample cafe's, grocery stores etc. Does it?
It's not an exact analogy, but Meatpacking is sort of like Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan. A former industrial area.
Indre By more like Upper West Side.
When you start looking at places, do your homework on Street View.
It's really a courses-for-horses choice.
(I personally found no place in Copenhagen like a zoo at night. Not compared to NYC.
Nyhavn is probably closest to that description, but I'd describe it as lively).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
We are a family of 4 visiting for the first time in Aug. We'll be there for 4 solid days and the plan is to Airbnb. Im torn between staying in Indre By vs Meatpacking district. We live in Brooklyn, plan on doing a lot of walking, some biking and some public transport. We want to see the sites but also want good cafes, coffee shops and restaurants. Touristy is fine but dont want to be in the equivalent of times square (not that there is even close to such an atrocity there). I read Meatpacking has some seedy parts, but I cant imagine they are anything as bad as around Penn Station

Looking forward to recommendations.
j
Indre By is a bit more polished but I would stay in both areas without hesitation. Tivoli/Radhusplatz and the main train station are as Times Squarish as it gets in Copenhagen but it’s far from being that too most times of the year.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: FB Gold
I'd avoid staying in the Nyhavn area personally. It will be overpriced and extremely noisy. I love to stay in the Meatpacking area but as others have pointed out, it's probably best avoided with kids. It's not even that it's particularly seedy but dining/ drinking options are more catered towards young adults. If you're not dead set on Indre By itself, I'd look at Frederiksberg and Nřrrebro, which both boast charming cafés and parks, a stone's throw away from the city centre.
pbiflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.