Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Best credit card in Sweden for mileage?

Old May 15, 19, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I just moved to Stockholm and I'm looking into options on a credit card, some people I know use Amex here, which I wouldn't consider before because I lived in countries where Amex support is not that widespread.

Specifically, I'm wondering if it's better to pick an Amex SAS Elite or Amex Platinum, which one offers better value? Any other cards I might get?(I know there's a LH card, I have a few leftovers miles in M&M but I am considering just switching to SAS Eurobonus altogether)
Old May 15, 19, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mrisoli View Post
Hello,

I just moved to Stockholm and I'm looking into options on a credit card, some people I know use Amex here, which I wouldn't consider before because I lived in countries where Amex support is not that widespread.

Specifically, I'm wondering if it's better to pick an Amex SAS Elite or Amex Platinum, which one offers better value? Any other cards I might get?(I know there's a LH card, I have a few leftovers miles in M&M but I am considering just switching to SAS Eurobonus altogether)
The gas station Preem MC seems to be in a lot of wallets I know. SAS credit cards too. And the Nordic Choice Club MC. I am not sure if some or all of these cards mean you can earn points from the cash withdrawal portion done in conjunction with purchases at some stores. The Coop cards got ditched by a lot of my acquaintances, but I'm not sure if that was related to devalued transfers for SAS or not.

Have you looked at www.businessclass.se ? You can probably get far more specialized help there.
Old May 15, 19, 3:46 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Coop card is crap - especially they handed it over to enter card. No more forex-free card, no more betalo churning.

We have Preem and Shell and both gives 0.5% cash bonus (which can be taken out as cash at the gas stations or get it credited into your account), it's fee free so why not.

If you want quick EB points get their MC - they are doing welcome promo: 10k points for 1490/year or 3k points for 198 for the first year and 400 for the subsequent years. 2 years quarantine period.

Don't ever use your CC to draw cash - they don't give you any point and you pay interest on the amount.
Old May 16, 19, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Coop card is crap - especially they handed it over to enter card. No more forex-free card, no more betalo churning.

We have Preem and Shell and both gives 0.5% cash bonus (which can be taken out as cash at the gas stations or get it credited into your account), it's fee free so why not.

If you want quick EB points get their MC - they are doing welcome promo: 10k points for 1490/year or 3k points for 198 for the first year and 400 for the subsequent years. 2 years quarantine period.

Don't ever use your CC to draw cash - they don't give you any point and you pay interest on the amount.
Using a CC at an ATM is usually a horrible value. But if you use the CC for grocery purchases and ask for cash back, doesn’t it post as one purchase and not as a cash withdrawal?
Old May 17, 19, 4:12 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

Using a CC at an ATM is usually a horrible value. But if you use the CC for grocery purchases and ask for cash back, doesn’t it post as one purchase and not as a cash withdrawal?
I guess so, but paying 395/year to do that I think it's just excessive (plus you don't earn point from the cash advance like this - not sure if there's a fee if you don't have money in your account). I don't shop in Coop because all the shops around me suck.
Old May 17, 19, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I guess so, but paying 395/year to do that I think it's just excessive (plus you don't earn point from the cash advance like this - not sure if there's a fee if you don't have money in your account). I don't shop in Coop because all the shops around me suck.
I just had some accounts checked, and each of the grocery store+cash-withrdawal-as-overpayments had posted as purchases. But given how very little is earned per SEK spent on purchases, even repeatedly withdrawing 500-600 SEK this way isn't a very effective way of racking up points (if the whole joint amount even earns points). There are better ways to do manufacture spend to rack up points, even in Sweden.

I didn't check to see if any or all of those checked accounts have a surplus amount loaded onto them before the cards were used.

I know you can't buy this with any Swedish credit cards: https://www.hemnet.se/bostad/tomt-ma...en-2d-15716656