FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nordic Region (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/)
-   -   Best credit card in Sweden for mileage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region/1969836-best-credit-card-sweden-mileage.html)

mrisoli May 15, 2019 9:41 am

Best credit card in Sweden for mileage?

Hello,

I just moved to Stockholm and I'm looking into options on a credit card, some people I know use Amex here, which I wouldn't consider before because I lived in countries where Amex support is not that widespread.

Specifically, I'm wondering if it's better to pick an Amex SAS Elite or Amex Platinum, which one offers better value? Any other cards I might get?(I know there's a LH card, I have a few leftovers miles in M&M but I am considering just switching to SAS Eurobonus altogether)

GUWonder May 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by mrisoli (Post 31104062)
Hello,

I just moved to Stockholm and I'm looking into options on a credit card, some people I know use Amex here, which I wouldn't consider before because I lived in countries where Amex support is not that widespread.

Specifically, I'm wondering if it's better to pick an Amex SAS Elite or Amex Platinum, which one offers better value? Any other cards I might get?(I know there's a LH card, I have a few leftovers miles in M&M but I am considering just switching to SAS Eurobonus altogether)

The gas station Preem MC seems to be in a lot of wallets I know. SAS credit cards too. And the Nordic Choice Club MC. I am not sure if some or all of these cards mean you can earn points from the cash withdrawal portion done in conjunction with purchases at some stores. The Coop cards got ditched by a lot of my acquaintances, but I'm not sure if that was related to devalued transfers for SAS or not.

Have you looked at www.businessclass.se ? You can probably get far more specialized help there.

nacho May 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Coop card is crap - especially they handed it over to enter card. No more forex-free card, no more betalo churning.

We have Preem and Shell and both gives 0.5% cash bonus (which can be taken out as cash at the gas stations or get it credited into your account), it's fee free so why not.

If you want quick EB points get their MC - they are doing welcome promo: 10k points for 1490/year or 3k points for 198 for the first year and 400 for the subsequent years. 2 years quarantine period.

Don't ever use your CC to draw cash - they don't give you any point and you pay interest on the amount.

GUWonder May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 31105360)
Coop card is crap - especially they handed it over to enter card. No more forex-free card, no more betalo churning.

We have Preem and Shell and both gives 0.5% cash bonus (which can be taken out as cash at the gas stations or get it credited into your account), it's fee free so why not.

If you want quick EB points get their MC - they are doing welcome promo: 10k points for 1490/year or 3k points for 198 for the first year and 400 for the subsequent years. 2 years quarantine period.

Don't ever use your CC to draw cash - they don't give you any point and you pay interest on the amount.

Using a CC at an ATM is usually a horrible value. But if you use the CC for grocery purchases and ask for cash back, doesn’t it post as one purchase and not as a cash withdrawal?

nacho May 17, 2019 4:12 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31108488)

Using a CC at an ATM is usually a horrible value. But if you use the CC for grocery purchases and ask for cash back, doesn’t it post as one purchase and not as a cash withdrawal?

I guess so, but paying 395/year to do that I think it's just excessive (plus you don't earn point from the cash advance like this - not sure if there's a fee if you don't have money in your account). I don't shop in Coop because all the shops around me suck.

GUWonder May 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 31110481)
I guess so, but paying 395/year to do that I think it's just excessive (plus you don't earn point from the cash advance like this - not sure if there's a fee if you don't have money in your account). I don't shop in Coop because all the shops around me suck.

I just had some accounts checked, and each of the grocery store+cash-withrdawal-as-overpayments had posted as purchases. But given how very little is earned per SEK spent on purchases, even repeatedly withdrawing 500-600 SEK this way isn't a very effective way of racking up points (if the whole joint amount even earns points). There are better ways to do manufacture spend to rack up points, even in Sweden. :D

I didn't check to see if any or all of those checked accounts have a surplus amount loaded onto them before the cards were used.

I know you can't buy this with any Swedish credit cards: https://www.hemnet.se/bostad/tomt-ma...en-2d-15716656

nacho May 19, 2019 12:04 pm

I'm not going to buy that plot - it's crazy to pay that price to live next to a prison. That plot has been out for a while and I don't know if anyone wants to buy it - the estate agent claimed the other half was bought by 2 architects and honestly I don't know if it's true. There's a pond there so in the end you are paying close to 2m to get the land ready to build a house.

I did use CC to do part payment for a new car.

Right now I'm trying to get Mr. a SAS Master card - the ordinary one without the premium as I need a couple of thousand points to redeem a ticket.

Coop card only gives you 0,5% bonus, and they charge you to have the card, Preem and Shell don't and you get your 0,5% in cash without yearly fee, so those are our primary cards.

GUWonder May 21, 2019 2:09 am

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 31117181)
I'm not going to buy that plot - it's crazy to pay that price to live next to a prison. That plot has been out for a while and I don't know if anyone wants to buy it - the estate agent claimed the other half was bought by 2 architects and honestly I don't know if it's true. There's a pond there so in the end you are paying close to 2m to get the land ready to build a house.

I did use CC to do part payment for a new car.

Right now I'm trying to get Mr. a SAS Master card - the ordinary one without the premium as I need a couple of thousand points to redeem a ticket.

Coop card only gives you 0,5% bonus, and they charge you to have the card, Preem and Shell don't and you get your 0,5% in cash without yearly fee, so those are our primary cards.

The other half of the land was indeed bought already and I think the buyers may indeed be at least one builder and/or architect. I guess I could find out about the buyers if I wanted to make 100% sure that was accurate. I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay so much to live in the country side and do so by a prison, but welcome to Sweden. :D There is a smaller parcel of land that is closer to the water and in Bunkeflostrand on a street called Fisksomething; it costs substantially less, but I doubt it would be as easy and fast to get a building permit for a single-family home -- and probably capped at 1.5 floors -- for that land as for the land near the prison.

One thing about Swedish credit cards, the banks can be rather slow to have the replacement cards sent out and they can be even slower to have the PIN sent out for such cards -- even as they may often claim that the PIN will be the same when ordering a replacement card. And yet a visiting American in Sweden can have their US credit card end up in their hands and fully usable faster than a Swedish replacement credit card arrives and becomes fully functional.

Given Sweden's growing institutional hostility toward cash, the loss/compromise of a bank card in Sweden can be a much greater pain for those who lose their bank cards and need a PIN for the cards than it would be in the US (or even if in Sweden and and having access to US bank cards). Lesson: have multiple, personal bank cards and don't keep them all in one place for them to get compromised/lost all at the same time -- more so if in Sweden and relying upon Swedish bank cards.

nacho May 21, 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31122550)
The other half of the land was indeed bought already and I think the buyers may indeed be at least one builder and/or architect. I guess I could find out about the buyers if I wanted to make 100% sure that was accurate. I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay so much to live in the country side and do so by a prison, but welcome to Sweden. :D There is a smaller parcel of land that is closer to the water and in Bunkeflostrand on a street called Fisksomething; it costs substantially less, but I doubt it would be as easy and fast to get a building permit for a single-family home -- and probably capped at 1.5 floors -- for that land as for the land near the prison.

One thing about Swedish credit cards, the banks can be rather slow to have the replacement cards sent out and they can be even slower to have the PIN sent out for such cards -- even as they may often claim that the PIN will be the same when ordering a replacement card. And yet a visiting American in Sweden can have their US credit card end up in their hands and fully usable faster than a Swedish replacement credit card arrives and becomes fully functional.

Given Sweden's growing institutional hostility toward cash, the loss/compromise of a bank card in Sweden can be a much greater pain for those who lose their bank cards and need a PIN for the cards than it would be in the US (or even if in Sweden and and having access to US bank cards). Lesson: have multiple, personal bank cards and don't keep them all in one place for them to get compromised/lost all at the same time -- more so if in Sweden and relying upon Swedish bank cards.

Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

If you think about the prices, that plot is not that expensive compared to what's available. I don't like the seaside here because it's too windy for me. The estate agent told me it was bought by 2 young architects who made some beautiful drawings of a house. They wanted to buy that plot but they don't have $.

I'm not going to buy any plot in Sweden. Don't know who designed the roads in Malmo but it's simply idiotic that there's 1 road leading to the whole Bunkleflostrand/Limhamn with 40km/h plus tons of speed bumps that literally killing your car. If you look at the map you can imagine what the morning/afternoon traffic will be like and I can imagine that's going to be a nightmare.

I checked the Bygglov and for the next to the prison plot it's allowed to build a 1,5 plan house. Now it's all irrelevant to us as we have got other plans.

Replacement cards in Sweden - I'm so fed up with that crap too. Had Coop card when we were in Japan, put that card into a automatic to buy a bus ticket. Coop blocked my card and they "tried" to call me and of course they couldn't reach me so they cancelled the card. I had to call them when I got back and took me 14 days to get a new one.

Another time when we were in Vegas I used Santander card to pay for a buffet and I think they read my card - when I got home I suddenly got $2500 shopping from various Targets. I called to dispute the charges and wanted a replacement card, they said they stopped giving out cards so sorry no card!

Fortunately Sweden does have AMEX.