Norway Road Trip in May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norway Road Trip in May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Norway Road Trip in May

I'm taking a family trip to Norway for a week in early May, flying into BGO and out of OSL. I intentionally bought tickets for the shoulder season, because we've become quite adverse to excessive tourist crowds. Along those lines, my working plan is to spend a couple days in BGO and OSL on each end of the trip but do a one-way car rental and explore independently for about five days--probably even skipping the Flåmsbana in favor of do-it-yourself drives and short hikes. I now see that we'll be too early for some of the scenic routes I anticipated (e.g., https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/...osed-in-winter). Any itinerary advice? I'm still inclined to seek out some fjords and would like to get out of the car and walk a lot. Maybe I just need to look at a topographical map and just avoid the mountainous regions; some resources mention May is a nice time to visit, but it could be that it's better to do something like the southern route from BGO to OSL instead of trying for the western fjords.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by HLS2002
I'm taking a family trip to Norway for a week in early May, flying into BGO and out of OSL. I intentionally bought tickets for the shoulder season, because we've become quite adverse to excessive tourist crowds. Along those lines, my working plan is to spend a couple days in BGO and OSL on each end of the trip but do a one-way car rental and explore independently for about five days--probably even skipping the Flåmsbana in favor of do-it-yourself drives and short hikes. I now see that we'll be too early for some of the scenic routes I anticipated (e.g., https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/...osed-in-winter). Any itinerary advice? I'm still inclined to seek out some fjords and would like to get out of the car and walk a lot. Maybe I just need to look at a topographical map and just avoid the mountainous regions; some resources mention May is a nice time to visit, but it could be that it's better to do something like the southern route from BGO to OSL instead of trying for the western fjords.
I've seen videos taken in June where the mountain roads have just opened for the season and snow banks alongside them easily have to be five or six feet high. So you might want to bear that in mind.

Also, many tourist sites (and by that I'm personally thinking in terms of country churches specifically) will not be open to visitors yet.

That said, I understand that this spring has, so far, been warmer than usual.

We're planning a trip ourselves, but we're going in early August.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:58 am

I'm planning a trip in late June. Short on time as well so the general plan is:
- into OSL then immediately to BGO.
- one day in Bergen then hire car and drive up to Alesund / Geiranger / Trollstigen and back to Bergen over the course of 4 days. My general research indicates that this part of the trip has the best scenery hence I've chosen this (rather than say OSL-BGO) for the roadtrip component of the trip.
- doing a round trip car hire because the one-way charge makes the rental twice as expensive
- then fly back to OSL for a day
Intention is to spend less time in cities as Norway is more about the scenery and I'm more likely to visit OSL again than I am to be driving around the country.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jleno
I'm planning a trip in late June. Short on time as well so the general plan is:
- into OSL then immediately to BGO.
- one day in Bergen then hire car and drive up to Alesund / Geiranger / Trollstigen and back to Bergen over the course of 4 days. My general research indicates that this part of the trip has the best scenery hence I've chosen this (rather than say OSL-BGO) for the roadtrip component of the trip.
- doing a round trip car hire because the one-way charge makes the rental twice as expensive
- then fly back to OSL for a day
Intention is to spend less time in cities as Norway is more about the scenery and I'm more likely to visit OSL again than I am to be driving around the country.
In early July, we are also doing a round trip car hire in Bergen because of the insane one way fees.
The trip will take 11 days, and our overnight stops are Hellesylt (for Geiranger ferry), Andalsnes, Kristiansund, Alesund, Olden, Sogndal (for Gundvagen ferry), Voss area and Bergen at the end for a couple days. Make sure to pre book your car ferries on Geiranger and Gudvangen if you are planning to take those.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I need help, please. I have zero idea about the Scandinavian countries. My son wants to go to either Faroe Island or Lofoten. The trip starts in Paris on the 29th of July until August 2nd. Is it doable?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I need help, please. I have zero idea about the Scandinavian countries. My son wants to go to either Faroe Island or Lofoten. The trip starts in Paris on the 29th of July until August 2nd. Is it doable?
Sure. I think of these two choices and the start position, Faroe Islands might be easier to reach since there are direct flights between CDG and FAE on Atlantic Airways (RC). These do not operate everyday, but you are lucky as 29.7. and 2.8. happen to be among the days when this route is flown. Of course, Lofoten are not exactly hard to reach either, getting from Paris to OSL or BGO and then from there further north either by air or ground transport should be quite straight-forward - and especially CDG-OSL is quite frequent.
Yahillwe likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Hezu
Sure. I think of these two choices and the start position, Faroe Islands might be easier to reach since there are direct flights between CDG and FAE on Atlantic Airways (RC). These do not operate everyday, but you are lucky as 29.7. and 2.8. happen to be among the days when this route is flown. Of course, Lofoten are not exactly hard to reach either, getting from Paris to OSL or BGO and then from there further north either by air or ground transport should be quite straight-forward - and especially CDG-OSL is quite frequent.

Thank you very much. Most helpful information.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Hezu
RC flights to the EU seem to sell out well in advance at times. And if you miss your flight, who knows how long it may take to get in or out since even the Iceland way isn’t always a given for trips to the Faroes. Just somethings to consider.

The Faroes are not part of the EU, even as they are part of Denmark. The people there can get Danish passports without EU language/symbols on them, even as many don’t care either way about the passports, whether or not they want more autonomy from Denmark.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

RC flights to the EU seem to sell out well in advance at times. And if you miss your flight, who knows how long it may take to get in or out since even the Iceland way isn’t always a given for trips to the Faroes. Just somethings to consider.

The Faroes are not part of the EU, even as they are part of Denmark. The people there can get Danish passports without EU language/symbols on them, even as many don’t care either way about the passports, whether or not they want more autonomy from Denmark.

Thanks, very interesting that the Islands aren't part of the EU. Thank you for the little notes to think about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.