Wiki Posts
Search

4hrs 25mins transit in HEL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, VA
4hrs 25mins transit in HEL

I arr on 1920 and dep 2345. Assuming I arr on time just wanted to chk it wouldn't be worthwile to leave the airport? I presume it would be dark by then in Jan? Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: QR Gold AY Plat
Originally Posted by Texter
I arr on 1920 and dep 2345. Assuming I arr on time just wanted to chk it wouldn't be worthwile to leave the airport? I presume it would be dark by then in Jan? Thanks

Helsinki City Centre, depending on the mode of transport, you'd have maybe 90 minutes to spend there.
Assuming you'd be arriving today, shops will be closing earlier (at 6 p.m.) because of the New Year's eve.

Public transport travel planner

Is your connecting flight from the Non-Schengen or Schengen side of the airport? Note that shops and restaurants within the Schengen gates area are also shortening their opening times today.

Store opening hours

Last edited by flymetoHEL; Dec 30, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:36 am

I arr on 1920 and dep 2345. Assuming I arr on time just wanted to chk it wouldn't be worthwile to leave the airport?
The time is sufficient to leave the airport, but on the other hand, many places will start to close in these evening hours and for example majority of shops will close at 21:00 at latest.
I presume it would be dark by then in Jan?
Yes, 1.1. sunset is at 15:22 and 31.1. at 16:29, so regardless the date in January you will see no sunlight when you arrive. Of course, there is still plenty of artificial lighting and most likely also some white snow in the ground that provides some additional help in the darkness.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, VA
Thanks Hezu and flymetoHEL for your replies. Its for a trip in two weeks' time. I'll see how I go on the day as to whether I will leave the airport. Might hold off until I am able to spend decent time in Finland.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I have the same question - 4.5 hours before heading to Asia - but for travel in July. Daylight wont be an issue �� Are there any specific recommendations, or just go downtown for a nice dinner ! I notice there are storage lockers at the airport - presumably large enough for a carry-on ... Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Braniff
I have the same question - 4.5 hours before heading to Asia - but for travel in July. Daylight wont be an issue �� Are there any specific recommendations, or just go downtown for a nice dinner ! I notice there are storage lockers at the airport - presumably large enough for a carry-on ... Thanks.
I had a 16 hour layover last year and I had a nice dinner here:

https://www.ravintolasavotta.fi/en/

I've also eaten here and it's a little bit better though a little less centrally located:

https://ravintolakuu.fi/en/home/
Braniff likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
With 4,5 hrs it might be cutting it a bit too close. Getting from gate to train platform is 15 mins (if no immigration issues and no checked luggage to pick up) Let's say 5 mins wait for the train and 30 mins ride downtown -> 50 mins. Coming back the same. Leave 60 mins to arrive to the airport before departure. 160 mins already used. That'd leave 1,5 hrs in town, including finding your way to the restaurant and back to the train station.

You might just walk to the airport Hilton for a dinner (nothing special, but beats the lounge offerings) or if so inclined take a local bus #561 or #562 to the Jumbo/Flamingo shopping/entertainment complex (10 mins away) Lots of mediocre dining options

If you're an aviation buff, the Aviation museum is really close, you can either walk from the terminal or take the train for 1 stop (coming from the airport, get off at the back of the train and use that exit from the platform.)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If you're an aviation buff, the Aviation museum is really close, you can either walk from the terminal or take the train for 1 stop (coming from the airport, get off at the back of the train and use that exit from the platform.)
Although if one arrives HEL fairly late in the day (as in the original post), it is worth a notice that Finnish Aviation Museum opening hours are 10-20 on weekdays and 10-17 on weekends.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You're right, I didn't look closely at OP's hours. But my post might be useful for other pax, so I leave it unchanged.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Lockers at HEL

Originally Posted by Braniff
I notice there are storage lockers at the airport - presumably large enough for a carry-on ... Thanks.
Have these been removed? I can't find any reference to them any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.