Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Solo trip - Car/camper rental in Iceland 8 days

Solo trip - Car/camper rental in Iceland 8 days

Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:54 am

Well, the OP is traveling in May and in Iceland May is no longer considered winter. Some F-Roads are already open by that time.
I beg to differ about May being no longer considered 'winter'. In some years it may be far from wintry and in other years, plenty of snow, ice and closed roads ... not to mention the strong WINDS. No guarantees.

Please cross post on Trip Advisor's Iceland forum where there are several very experienced Icelanders who share their local knowledge. Internet listings of campsite opening times cannot always be relied upon - weather dependent and also how regularly the site is updated with information provided by the campsite owners.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
I beg to differ about May being no longer considered 'winter'. In some years it may be far from wintry and in other years, plenty of snow, ice and closed roads ... not to mention the strong WINDS. No guarantees.

Please cross post on Trip Advisor's Iceland forum where there are several very experienced Icelanders who share their local knowledge. Internet listings of campsite opening times cannot always be relied upon - weather dependent and also how regularly the site is updated with information provided by the campsite owners.
Due to my work, I lived in Iceland for 2 years. It does not make me an expert of course, but I'm not throwing information just because.

Strong winds can happen in Iceland all year long and as you rightly said, nothing is guaranteed -ever- regardless of the season.
But in May, as an average, there is more light, less rain, and less wind compared to what is indeed considered winter.

I'm not a Meteo guy but weather statistics can be easily checked on Vedur and those are indeed a fact.
We all know that weather in Iceland can be pretty unpredictable but it doesn't mean that there aren't differences between each season and we can just call anything "winter".
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:25 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Korealover
So the info in Tjalda - winter opening campsites is not reliable? It says that there are many campsites that are open all year round.

I was thinking on planning my itinerary with this info... Anyway I will also visit tripadvisor to ask about campsites.

Thanks!
In prior years there have been MUCH incorrect info. Many folks have been left with no place to go when they find places that are listed as open locked up tight. Contact each place you want to go in advance to be certain of availability
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:31 pm

Hey guys!

Taking a look at my reservation, I realized that the insurance excess is quite high, which of course scares me in case something happens and I see myself paying that huge self-risk!

Do any of you know about a company with a smaller self-risk? Or even better, no excess at all?
@Korealover Did you book yet? If so, what are your rental conditions?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Evittie
Hey guys!

Taking a look at my reservation, I realized that the insurance excess is quite high, which of course scares me in case something happens and I see myself paying that huge self-risk!

Do any of you know about a company with a smaller self-risk? Or even better, no excess at all?

Thank you in advance!
Hallooo!

Did you book a car or a camper?

Recently most local companies added a Platinum add-on to lower the excess down to 0 ISK but I think it is for cars. Ask your company if they have any complement to get rid of self-risks

Maybe someone else can help in case you booked a camper
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by EerieVon
Hallooo!

Recently most local companies added a Platinum add-on to lower the excess down to 0 ISK but I think it is for cars. Ask your company if they have any complement to get rid of self-risks

Hello!! Well I have booked a camper for my solo trip to Iceland in July. After countless hours of reading stuff for my trip online, I found a great website called Campervan Reykjavik that has several models to choose from but the best thing of all is that they include all the insurance + zero excess in the price just when you book a car. Simply click on the insurance tab and you will see that all insurance is included. That was such a relief because I want to be fully covered for my trip!!!. This is my first solo trip and I want it to be smooth
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Evittie
Hey guys!

Thank you in advance!
Hello Evittie, try to send an email to your company. In my case, when making the reservation I had the lowest insurance that comes included and later on, checking on the rental site, I saw they had a better one reducing excess to half of it. I contacted them and they added that better insurance for me
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:21 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Wow! What are the odds that two first time posters will show up and post in this thread just out of randomness?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by EerieVon
Hallooo!

Hi EerieVon!!!

Sorry about the late reply and thank you for your answer !

Yes, I booked a Camper! That is okay I will email them and see what happens!

Happy new year!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by LeVoyager
Hello Evittie, try to send an email to your company. In my case, when making the reservation I had the lowest insurance that comes included and later on, checking on the rental site, I saw they had a better one reducing excess to half of it. I contacted them and they added that better insurance for me
Hi there!!!
Ohhh that is amazing, you were lucky! I hope my company has reduced or even better, no excess lol.
I will email them! Thank you for the advice!

Happy new year!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Korealover
Hi there!
I am thinking about doing my second solo trip, this time the chosen destination would be the land of ice and fire
I am a bit nervous because I've had my license for a while but I do not drive that much (I did not rent a car in my first trip) but now I feel that it's time to go for it, specially considering how and where the Icelandic cities are located.
Is the country safe for a female solo traveler? I would love to hear your firsthand experience if you've had them.
On the other hand, I've been checking some rental companies for both cars and campers. I am a nature lover and I feel like going for the camper but I want to consider all the options first, as I am still on the first stage of planing this trip. Is it hard to drive a camper? I have never driven one. My car is a Mazda 3 but a camper has nothing to do with it

Thank you!!
Late to this thread, but a bit concerned about OP. I'm a solo female traveler who drove the ring road, a few 2wd roads off the main road, and two 4wd farm roads last July.

There is a huge difference between driving a camper and a Mazda3, especially for a relatively inexperienced driver. The primary issue is going to be wind. A camper has a higher profile, so you'll feel the wind more than with an automobile. And it really does get windy! And unexpectedly windy! And the roads don't, generally, have guardrails or shoulders. As a person who doesn't drive much, you might be prone to overcorrecting in windy conditions and that's dangerous anywhere. Everything you read at the TripAdvisor forum about the roads and weather is true. If you possibly can, try renting and driving a similarly-sized vehicle before you leave home.
A 10-ft moving truck would probably work, as it would also give you experience working from side mirrors alone.

Regarding personal safety, Iceland has a low crime rate (as has been stated). Merely take the same precautions you would in other places (lock the car, don't leave valuables in plain sight, let someone know where you are) and you should be fine!

Photo from my phone, because there was no place to pull over, but this gives you an idea of the roads and also the sudden appearance of a storm (please ignore lack of composition on this one, it's more to tell a story). I'm open to suggestions on how to make this photo post smaller, btw.

Good luck and hope both posters have a fantastic trip!

Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by 12Mermaids
Photo from my phone, because there was no place to pull over, but this gives you an idea of the roads and also the sudden appearance of a storm (please ignore lack of composition on this one, it's more to tell a story).
Is that photo from the southeast? Like somewhere between Djúpivogur and Jökulsárlón (and you were traveling clockwise)? I remember seeing some big cloud formations over the top of the mountains in that area. And it concerned me a storm might be coming. Maybe it's a common local weather phenomenon.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all this useful info! Yes, I am trying to train myself driving these days by driving a van one of my relatives have
I really hope I can handle the wind issue well, I will make sure that I grab the steering wheel correctly and will not be distracted.
It is good to know about another female solo traveller, btw the landscape is incredibly beautiful, even with such threatening storm coming over.
I will leave a post with my experience as soon as I come back!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by _kurt
Is that photo from the southeast? Like somewhere between Djúpivogur and Jökulsárlón (and you were traveling clockwise)? I remember seeing some big cloud formations over the top of the mountains in that area. And it concerned me a storm might be coming. Maybe it's a common local weather phenomenon.
Okay, third try posting. I can tell it's Monday.

Apologies for the delayed reply, _kurt. Haven't been on FT (or much of anywhere else, forum-wise) in about a month. Dealing with work and family issues. Anyway, you totally pegged the location: traveling clockwise on the Ring Road in Southeastern Iceland.
_kurt likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.