Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

2-3 City Trip: Berlin/Stockholm/Copenhagen/Saint Petersburg?

Old Nov 11, 18, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: all of 'em

Cruises for Copenhagen/Saint Petersburg/Stockholm are pricey if going on the fancy cruise lines--but I like not packing/unpacking so much. But, I'm thinking an alternative is to use airline points and Hilton/Hyatt points to instead go to 2-3 of the cities next summer. I prefer to have a few more days in each place anyway, but I don't want to pack and unpack and make too many complicated internal transfers/flights/trains--since it's not relaxing to spend the whole time getting from one place to another.

We are a couple in our 50's, interested in art/history/culture more than adventure/outdoorsy stuff. If you were taking about 7-10 days in this region, wanted to use points if possible, and not spend the whole time transferring, and wanted to see awesome places, which 2 or 3 places would you go? I've been to Berlin--but it was 30 years ago and definitely wouldn't mind going again. I've been to Helsinki and Tallin.

Berlin & Copenhagen?
Copenhagen & Stockholm?
Stockholm & Saint Petersburg?

Maybe 3 of them?

thanks in advance!
Old Nov 12, 18, 5:29 pm

Personally, I think Berlin 30 years ago was far more exciting than what it is today; the wall, East Berlin etc. gave the whole place a spooky feeling which is absent today, IMO. If I had to choose from your list of cities, my preference would be St. Pete, Copenhagen & Stockholm - in that order.

However, how you can do multiple cities without packing and unpacking, is beyond me.
Old Nov 12, 18, 10:00 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I think Berlin has more (and more interesting) museums than Copenhagen and Stockholm (haven't been to St.P). Of course it is also hipster central and as a "person of age" I do find that a bit tiring after a while -- a week there and I wanted to grow a beard and sport a "man bun"

Copenhagen and Stockholm have more old buildings and I'd say are more "picturesque" than Berlin (and Stockholm is more modern than Copenhagen) They are also more expensive.

Copenhagen <-> Stockholm is a 5 hour or so train ride while Berlin <-> Copenhagen is more like 7:30 with change in Hamburg.

The people I know that enjoyed St Petersburg all did it from a cruise ship docked in the harbor for a few days -- though this was a while ago so and was for safety reasons so that may not apply today.
Old Nov 14, 18, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
The people I know that enjoyed St Petersburg all did it from a cruise ship docked in the harbor for a few days -- though this was a while ago so and was for safety reasons so that may not apply today.
I think it is not that much about security, but the Russian visa policy, which does allow short (up to 72h) visa-free visits if you arrive by sea. And in addition to the fancy cruise ships on grand Baltic tours, there is St. Peter Line which offers visa-free cruises to St. Petersburg from Stockholm via Helsinki/Tallinn. And of course it is possible to extend the stay in Russia if you are willing to get a visa.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 5:47 am

I think you are spot on with limiting it to 2 cities - maximum 3.
Berlin is a great city - and a lot have changed over the past 30 years. Lots of great museums in the city. But also the cultural scene is great. If you do understand German your output from the museums will be so much bigger (a lot is in German only). I have been there several times - and could easily go again.
Stockholm is also a nice city, very nicely situated by the water - and with a great Wasa museum. Gamla Stan is also worth a stroll - as are the many nice restaurants. I can not speak to the museums in Stockholm
Copenhagen is my home city - and really do love it. While it does not have the location that Stockholm as, it is still by the water, and I personally find it more charming than Stockholm - and the range of museums is very nice indeed. From clasical art at Glyptoteket to modern art at Louisiana as well as newly remodelled industrial design museum.
Both Stockholm and Copenhagen are expensive cities.

Transport to/from Berlin is by plane - often you can find very cheap fares to Berlin (at least from Copenhagen). Between Copenhagen and Stockholm train is the way to go. 5Ĺ hours from center to center. Maximum 1 hour more than taking the plane. Any you will then save the money for the outrageously priced Stockholm airport express train.

Skt. Petersburg I have never been to - so can not speak to this city.
Old Nov 23, 18, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Hotels in St.Petersburg and Berlin are not that expensive - would not use points there. However in Stockholm they are more expensive and in Copenhagen really expensive - both good points redemption candidates. But I don't think Copenhagen has an Hyatt and definitely it does not have a Hilton anymore. The museums in St.Petersburg are, IMO, vastly superior to the other cities. The Hermitage and Peterhof to mention the top ones. I would rate Stockholm nr. 2 regarding museums, the Wasa ship museum being the best one but there are at least a dozen other good ones. Berlin has its history as the divided city but i would stick with a theme - the daughters of the Baltic (see my location ). Fly from Copenhagen to Stockholm and maybe take the ferry from Stockholm to St.Petersburg.
Old Nov 25, 18, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tsastor View Post
Hotels in St.Petersburg and Berlin are not that expensive - would not use points there. However in Stockholm they are more expensive and in Copenhagen really expensive - both good points redemption candidates. But I don't think Copenhagen has an Hyatt and definitely it does not have a Hilton anymore. The museums in St.Petersburg are, IMO, vastly superior to the other cities. The Hermitage and Peterhof to mention the top ones. I would rate Stockholm nr. 2 regarding museums, the Wasa ship museum being the best one but there are at least a dozen other good ones. Berlin has its history as the divided city but i would stick with a theme - the daughters of the Baltic (see my location ). Fly from Copenhagen to Stockholm and maybe take the ferry from Stockholm to St.Petersburg.
No Hyatt hotels in Scandinavia but Hyatt point redemption options may be coming in 2019 with the Small Leading Hotels of the World relationship ó that would mean about 2 hotel options in Copenhagen and 3 in Stockholm.

The point redemption options I used most often in Sweden and in Copenhagen for maximizing my returns are done using my US Choice hotel points. The runner up comes from using my Radisson points. Best Western points can also provide very good value to save money on hotel costs.

Berlin hotels tend to be a place where I donít redeem points since hotel costs tend to be relatively low for me there.
Old Nov 30, 18, 7:37 am

We visited St Petersburg last year. It is a gorgeous, fascinating city. Although the Hermitage is the draw that everyone goes to, I would thoroughly recommend the Russian Museum too - lots of superb Russian art, much of which is hardly known in the west.
Old Dec 1, 18, 10:56 am

I'd recommend visiting one city you've been to and one new place. For what it's worth, I consider Helsinki to be one of the most charming places in the world and between it and Stockholm there are lots of easy connections by boat or plane. In HEL, there are so many great museums- all walkable from public transit. I even think the Amos Anderson Art Museum just reopened after a closure of several years for remodeling. Between it, Ateneum, and Kiasma, you'd have an entire vacation's worth of art to look at. Wherever you go, have a great time! And yes, this is my first forum post as a long time lurker.
Old Dec 20, 18, 2:24 pm

Programs: most of them
I like CPH and Stockholm very much. And as noted it's a relatively short train ride between them. It's also easy to do day trips. Southwestern Sweden is also quite beautiful. I spent about a week there several years ago with a base in Malmo and took the train to places like Lund and Ystad. From CPH there are lots of nice day trips too....Roskilde, Fredericksborg castle, etc. You could easily base yourself in CPH for the whole time and do trips to nearby places including Sweden. Then you wouldn't need to repack. Last time I was there I stayed at a very nice serviced apartment place called Charlottehaven. It's right by the train into downtown and an Aldi market, plus several great bakeries. But Stockholm is probably more beautiful as a city. Both have great public transport systems.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: