Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Best hotel in Stockholm on points

Old Aug 4, 18, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

We will be staying for the first time in Stockholm for 3- 5 nights next summer. I have points or free nights with the following hotels: IHG (Platinum Ambassador), Hyatt (Explorist), SPG/ Marriott (Plat), Ritz Carlton (listed separately because I have several tier 1-4 free nights), Hilton (Gold) and Best Western (Plat). I can also get Hilton Diamond status through a credit card if need be. I love historic hotels, club floors, and locations that are walking distance to some major attractions (if possible) or close to the metro/ buses. Any thoughts on sightseeing and number of days to stay would also be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 5, 18, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the Sheraton is a very short walk to the main train station as well as the old city
Old Aug 5, 18, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
I'll check on that. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 18, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by konaflyer View Post
I'll check on that. Thanks!
Location wise for a reg tourist, IMO the location cant be beat. Im assuming using The Airport Express train to/from the city and wanting to spend time in the old city section. We were in town for just the day and grabbed a day room elsewhere but noted how when returning The Sheraton will be where we stay solely based on its Location

not saying its best, or most luxury or modern etc etc in town, just being < a 5 min walk from the Main train station and by the walkway (bridge) to the old city is a slam dunk for me, could be you have a set of other priorities. we just love and want to walk out the main door to our hotel and know bingo we are smack where we want to go
Old Aug 6, 18, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craz View Post
the Sheraton is a very short walk to the main train station as well as the old city
Unless SPG Platinum, I wouldn’t recommend the Sheraton to the OP. A better value is to use Choice points for the Clarion Sign hotel, even if needing to buy some or all of the points. It’s closer to the Arlanda Express than the Sheraton and it’s only a 5 minute walk away from the Sheraton.

Even as an SPG Plat, I found the opportunity cost to use my SPG points at the Sheraton to be too high and so would generally book the Clarion Sign (which gives me suites half the time, suites which happen to be about twice as large as the suites the Sheraton gives me as complimentary upgrades).
Old Aug 6, 18, 10:44 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
There are no IHG properties in Sweden.

The Hilton is OK, but the lounge is small and always crowded. The rooms are also small compared to other Hiltons. When there is a sale, it can be quite cheap on points, otherwise I don't think it's worth it (40000 would be the max I would pay). It is located is in the middle of a construction site which will be this way for another 5-10 years, although this doesn't matter that much.

I'm not sure what Best Western status gets you but I did stay at Karlaplan for SEK 500 last month, and for that sort of price you can't complain too much. The breakfast was almost as good as the Hilton's and they have some cakes out all day (almost like a lounge); again the room is tiny
Old Aug 6, 18, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

Unless SPG Platinum, I wouldnít recommend the Sheraton to the OP. A better value is to use Choice points for the Clarion Sign hotel, even if needing to buy some or all of the points. Itís closer to the Arlanda Express than the Sheraton and itís only a 5 minute walk away from the Sheraton.

Even as an SPG Plat, I found the opportunity cost to use my SPG points at the Sheraton to be too high and so would generally book the Clarion Sign (which gives me suites half the time, suites which happen to be about twice as large as the suites the Sheraton gives me as complimentary upgrades).
not up on Choice personally. But if its closer to the Station then the Sheraton that means its further from The Old City then The Sheraton = a wash and as long as a person isnt dragging around more then 1 carry-on and a roller suitcase Id rather stay closer to The Old City where I would be going more then once

I will give you if a person isnt Plat or Gold or whatever with Marriott going forward where theyd get a free breakfast that would be a neg unless they dont want breakfast to begin with
Old Aug 6, 18, 3:15 pm

not up on Choice personally. But if its closer to the Station then the Sheraton that means its further from The Old City then The Sheraton = a wash and as long as a person isnt dragging around more then 1 carry-on and a roller suitcase Id rather stay closer to The Old City where I would be going more then once

I will give you if a person isnt Plat or Gold or whatever with Marriott going forward where theyd get a free breakfast that would be a neg unless they dont want breakfast to begin with
It’s a five minute difference by foot, and going to Gamla Stan/Old Town once on a trip is more than enough for most people who want to see Stockholm as a tourist since there is way more to Stockholm than the tiny island that is Gamla Stan. The Sheraton surroundings are more shady at night than the Clarion Sign surroundings, although that may surprise some locals even.

16k SPG points/night or 10k Choice points/night? I don’t know how you value SPG points, but I used to move 16k SPG points into Choice so as to get me 4.5 nights at the Clarion Sign hotel. Unless trying to minimize (non-breakfast) food/drink consumption outside of a hotel lounge while visiting Stockholm, I would rather get 4.5 nights at the Clarion Sign than 1 night at the Sheraton using points. The Sheraton service level is definitely higher, but even as an SPG Platinum I find SPG points to not provide the generally best hotel value in Stockholm on points.
in
Old Aug 6, 18, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Itís a five minute difference by foot, and going to Gamla Stan/Old Town once on a trip is more than enough for most people who want to see Stockholm as a tourist since there is way more to Stockholm than the tiny island that is Gamla Stan. The Sheraton surroundings are more shady at night than the Clarion Sign surroundings, although that may surprise some locals even.

16k SPG points/night or 10k Choice points/night? I donít know how you value SPG points, but I used to move 16k SPG points into Choice so as to get me 4.5 nights at the Clarion Sign hotel. Unless trying to minimize (non-breakfast) food/drink consumption outside of a hotel lounge while visiting Stockholm, I would rather get 4.5 nights at the Clarion Sign than 1 night at the Sheraton using points. The Sheraton service level is definitely higher, but even as an SPG Platinum I find SPG points to not provide the generally best hotel value in Stockholm on points.
in
As I said its all a personal thing. I would be in the OT alot more then 1 time as I said.Ive been to HEL and thought 1 hour was way too much let alone the 2 nights I spent there. spent 2 nights in TLL and was in the OT only (except from the airport and to sleep)

That said if its only 10K and by the train station then could be its a better deal. We stayed a Scandic for our day room, bearly enough room to stand up in, would never go back there. The Clarion CPH did the trick since I wasnt really there but to sleep and it was 1 night and connected to the term (as you so greatly informed me ,thx again) Even if it was 10K if I was spending more then 1 night in CPH I would only stay there the night before my flight if it was like it was very early morn

personally I always look for a Radisson since Im loaded with those pts and generally dont stay at all with Choice, and it seems the OP doesnt stay with Choie either since it wasnt on their list of hotels. dont know their post count but OP if you qualify for CC(Coupon Connection) then do as I did and make a post asking to trade pts or nights from what you have for Choice if the Hotel meets your expectations
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:26 am

As I said its all a personal thing. I would be in the OT alot more then 1 time as I said.Ive been to HEL and thought 1 hour was way too much let alone the 2 nights I spent there. spent 2 nights in TLL and was in the OT only (except from the airport and to sleep)

That said if its only 10K and by the train station then could be its a better deal. We stayed a Scandic for our day room, bearly enough room to stand up in, would never go back there. The Clarion CPH did the trick since I wasnt really there but to sleep and it was 1 night and connected to the term (as you so greatly informed me ,thx again) Even if it was 10K if I was spending more then 1 night in CPH I would only stay there the night before my flight if it was like it was very early morn

personally I always look for a Radisson since Im loaded with those pts and generally dont stay at all with Choice, and it seems the OP doesnt stay with Choie either since it wasnt on their list of hotels. dont know their post count but OP if you qualify for CC(Coupon Connection) then do as I did and make a post asking to trade pts or nights from what you have for Choice if the Hotel meets your expectations
Buying Choice points is cheap and easy. No need to deal with Coupon Connection when it’s possible to transfer points to Choice cheaply enough and buy the rest at a rate that makes the Clarion Sign cost about $75/night.

I have lots of Radisson points but I generally avoid using those points for points-only stays at Radisson properties in the 3 biggest Scandinavian capitals.

Old Aug 7, 18, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Buying Choice points is cheap and easy. No need to deal with Coupon Connection when itís possible to transfer points to Choice cheaply enough and buy the rest at a rate that makes the Clarion Sign cost about $75/night.

I agree if a person doesnt have a nice stash of hotel pts in different programs, but disagree if a person has a nice size stash and doesnt use them on a reg basis, = they will lose value. If its 10K per night so 4 nights = 40k so say 40k in MR pts which saves $300 for 40k Since in 2 weeks time I will have 3x MR pts then I do today, Id do a trade rather then use $300.

IMO there is no right or wrong choice to make it all depends on ones stash of pts and where else they use them at what savings
Old Aug 7, 18, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
The Hilton is pretty tired, IMO. The Sheraton is surprisingly good (based on only two stays). My favourite is the Grand (no points).
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:09 pm

I agree if a person doesnt have a nice stash of hotel pts in different programs, but disagree if a person has a nice size stash and doesnt use them on a reg basis, = they will lose value. If its 10K per night so 4 nights = 40k so say 40k in MR pts which saves $300 for 40k Since in 2 weeks time I will have 3x MR pts then I do today, Id do a trade rather then use $300.

IMO there is no right or wrong choice to make it all depends on ones stash of pts and where else they use them at what savings
c. 48k-64k (ie, 16k SPG points per night) for 3-5 nights at the Sheraton or 16k SPG points for 3-5 nights at the Clarion Sign? Unless I desperately needed to scrounge for pennies and so wanted to live off hotel lounge food or have a 4pm late check-out, I — as someone with huge balances in the US hotel loyalty programs US persons use to stay in Stockholm — wouldn’t waste my SPG points since using them poorly has an opportunity cost no matter how big a balance someone cares to accrue at SPG.

16k SPG can still be swung into more than 40k Choice points. 40k Choice points = 4 nights at the Clarion Sign. The c 32k-48k SPG point savings by going for the Clarion Sign instead of the Sheraton is well worth it to me despite my very large 6 figure SPG balance still to be used.
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
The Hilton is pretty tired, IMO. The Sheraton is surprisingly good (based on only two stays). My favourite is the Grand (no points).
I used to use points from an above-mentioned hotel program for the Grand. Last I did it, it was 5k IHG points per night, but thatís nearly 8 year old history. There are still ways to use some loyalty programsí currency to pay for rooms at the Grand hotel, but only the credit card program and OTA program points allow for a decent room at the Grand, a hotel that is more out of the way from the Stockholm C/Arlanda Express area and Gamla Stan/Old Town than the Sheraton and Clarion Sign..
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Ithe Grand, a hotel that is more out of the way from the Stockholm C/Arlanda Express area and Gamla Stan/Old Town than the Sheraton and Clarion Sign..
I have no idea about points, but the location of the Grand is very nice. Yes, others may be closer to certain spots, but on the whole, the view from the glass-lounge is quite pretty.

Search this Thread