Wiki Posts
Search

Norway train tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
Norway train tickets

I am trying to buy a train ticket for Flam to Oslo on the nsb.no website. I am able to select my ticket, and choose a seat. But when I get to the payment page it keeps failing. I note that the website says that they basically don't accept credit cards from the US, Canada or Australia for security reasons and recommend using PayPal. But when I try PP that doesn't work either. Anyone know of other alternatives? I am basically stuck at this point.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
nevermind...it looks like I might have been trying to buy a ticket too soon or something. When I tried again this morning I had more options and was able to get the PP transaction to work. Might have been system maintenance or something too...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Yes. I had a similar experience. I will plan on using PayPal next time. NSB website is very easy to use, apart from the payment process.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by gadberry
Yes. I had a similar experience. I will plan on using PayPal next time. NSB website is very easy to use, apart from the payment process.
The website can be pretty stupid at times. It would not sell me a ticket Oslo-Voss at my desired time, but was perfectly happy to sell me Oslo-Myrdal and Myrdal-Voss on the same train when I searched those segments separately.

I’m guessing this had something to do with assigned seating & there being no pair of seats we could occupy uninterrupted all the way to Voss. Still, you’d think the website could just show the married segments instead of leaving unwary travelers with the impression that the train is sold out.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by beltway
The website can be pretty stupid at times. It would not sell me a ticket Oslo-Voss at my desired time, but was perfectly happy to sell me Oslo-Myrdal and Myrdal-Voss on the same train when I searched those segments separately.

I’m guessing this had something to do with assigned seating & there being no pair of seats we could occupy uninterrupted all the way to Voss. Still, you’d think the website could just show the married segments instead of leaving unwary travelers with the impression that the train is sold out.
It’s a seating and/or pricing category for seats issue. I encounter this frequently with trains in the area, and so I often have to use the Scandinavian national railway websites to create my own multi-segment journey when a train I want is listed as sold out for my originally intended origin and destination city pair. On peak travel dates of this year, this practice by the national railway companies really works in my favor for last minute travel purposes.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I often have to use the Scandinavian national railway websites to create my own multi-segment journey when a train I want is listed as sold out for my originally intended origin and destination city pair. On peak travel dates of this year, this practice by the national railway companies really works in my favor for last minute travel purposes.
Yep. I stupidly procrastinated booking our trip west from Oslo & then had a moment of sheer panic when the website told me there were no seats at all on our getaway day. I decided to see how close to Voss I could get, and Myrdal is the stop before it. Imagine my relief at being able not only to get to Myrdal, but also to ride to Voss that same day. (The fact that it was the same train was the cherry on top. And technically we were supposed to change cars/seats, but the conductor said we were fine staying put.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.