Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

4h 45m layover at OSL - long enough to visit the city?

Old Jun 1, 18, 11:03 am
Original Poster

We've got a 4h 45m layover from a s/h DY arrival at OSL to a l/h DY departure. All one reservation so we should be checked in and our bags will be checked. We're arriving from a Schengen destination, so no immigration. It looks to me that this should be long enough to take the Flytoget to Oslo central station, have lunch and get back to the airport. Would anyone disagree?

Our departure is on DY7001 to JFK at 6.05pm on a Saturday towards the end of this month. What time should we aim to be at the airport by to clear security in time?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 2, 18, 5:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It is possible, though you won't get that long in the center.

By way of comparison I had a 4h20m layover in March during which I passed Schengen immigration and went immediately to Flytoget which departed immediately after I boarded. I managed to spend about 45 minutes walking around the center of Oslo doing some essential shopping for my partner, then took Flytoget back, passed security, and had half an hour or so in the lounge before departure. I did not dawdle until I reached the lounge.

I would get to the airport 45-60 minutes before departure to have a reasonable chance of getting on your flight. If you do get there 45 min before do not hesitate, hurry.

Flytoget is reliable.

I'm sure better dining is available in central Oslo than around the airport, but I still note that Flytoget is not the budget option for travel.
Old Jun 2, 18, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that. our main goal is just to say that we’ve been to the city. I have visited Norway (not Oslo) before so I know public transport should be reliable.
Old Jun 2, 18, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You could take the train from the airport to Oslo S(entralstasjon) (central station) and eat at one of the places in or near the station - reasonable meals with fairly rapid service. Then use your remaining time, if any, to walk around the area up the main street (Karl Johans Gate) and look around. I think that would achieve your aim.
rpjs likes this.
Old Jun 2, 18, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
It'll be close, but you can do it. Per the above suggestion, I would take the train to Central Station and walk around a bit. If you want to hotfoot it a little bit, you can make your way to the Opera House and walk up to the roof. It depends on how much physical exertion you are looking to do, but that would be a fun thing to knock off the list before heading back to the airport
rpjs and ticino like this.
Old Jun 8, 18, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
We've got a 4h 45m layover from a s/h DY arrival at OSL to a l/h DY departure. All one reservation so we should be checked in and our bags will be checked. We're arriving from a Schengen destination, so no immigration. It looks to me that this should be long enough to take the Flytoget to Oslo central station, have lunch and get back to the airport. Would anyone disagree?

Our departure is on DY7001 to JFK at 6.05pm on a Saturday towards the end of this month. What time should we aim to be at the airport by to clear security in time?

Many thanks!
I would personally go to Nationaltheateret, it is one stop further than the Central Station - and note that every train every 10min run to the Central Station, however only the trains every 20min run past the Central Station. Whilst the food options aren't great there either, at least if you exit on to Karl Johans Gate you'd be in touching distance of the Palace and can either go up and see it, or take it in from a 150m distance. There are plenty of options for eating around there.

Do note that the express is about $22.5 in each direction, so as someone else said, not a low-cost option. If each person has their own bank card, then you just swipe at the gates, rather than needing to buy a ticket from a vendor/machine.
Old Jul 13, 18, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA blue
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
Do note that the express is about $22.5 in each direction, so as someone else said, not a low-cost option. If each person has their own bank card, then you just swipe at the gates, rather than needing to buy a ticket from a vendor/machine.
I see OPs trip has already passed. But this thread could be relevant to others, so i'll expand it;

If you manage to catch the local trains (R10 - Drammen, R11 - Skien or L12 - Kongsberg), you can save almost half the ticket price, 101 NOK instead of 190. They run at :03 :13 and :43 most of the day at the time of writing, and take a whooping 4 minutes longer than the express train. The ticket for these trains is also valid for travel within the greater Oslo area for.. i believe 2 hours after activation, which means they can be used for buses and metro in town too.

For a longer layover than OP, these trains would also be covered by an all zones 24h ticket for 237NOK which will take you to and from the airport on the local trains, and also free travel on public transport within the city for, you guessed it, 24 hours.

Both the single ticket and 24h ticket for the local trains can be purchased in either the Ruter section of the NSB app which is the train company, this app also allows you to keep track of train times or delays. or via the Ruterbillett app, or from Narvesen and 7-Eleven in the airport arrivals area by the train station.

Depending on what you want to get done in town i would say 4h45min from within schengen is enough time for a short visit to the city. If you're lucky with the gate and train, you could be in town within the first 45 minutes after landing. From outside schengen, add the passport control time, which can vary with time of day.
If you want to eat some good food there are some new places relatively close to Oslo Central that are supposed to be good. Everything from burger to seafood to steak. Theres's even a few really good ones in the building connected to the station, look for the tourist information and you'll find it.

I you want to go sightseeing instead you could easily see both the opera house and castle within a short time. Start with the Opera, which is right beside Oslo Central train station, head left when you get off the escalator from the tracks. spend 30 minutes here. then either walk, which i recommend if time and weather allows it, this takes 20 minutes of straight walking. Or by taking the metro two stops to Nationaltheateret. From here it's a 2 minute walk up to the castle. This could all be completed within 2 hours time.

For bonus if the weather is nice, get some ice cream or sushi/fast food and sit in the park around the castle like us locals do :-)

To be safe i would be checking the NSB or aiport express app (depending on which one you prefer) from time to time to confirm no train delays, and if not i'd be heading back to the airport when there's 2 hours to your flight at the latest. This allows for a slight train delay, security line, and passport control line if applicable. The passport checks can at times be long ish, especially if there's a few widebodies leaving at the same time.

Also remember that there are some new question procedures for US bound flights, not sure how these work out when you're connecting though. Check with your airline for this.

This might be a bit rambling, but i hope it helps someone connecting in Oslo.

Last edited by mckvakk; Jul 13, 18 at 4:10 pm Reason: expanding the text
Old Aug 13, 18, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by mckvakk View Post
I see OPs trip has already passed. But this thread could be relevant to others, so i'll expand it;

If you manage to catch the local trains (R10 - Drammen, R11 - Skien or L12 - Kongsberg), you can save almost half the ticket price, 101 NOK instead of 190. They run at :03 :13 and :43 most of the day at the time of writing, and take a whooping 4 minutes longer than the express train. The ticket for these trains is also valid for travel within the greater Oslo area for.. i believe 2 hours after activation, which means they can be used for buses and metro in town too.
I just looked at my ticket from last month. Its 2.5 hours. (I bought from the NSB ticket machine next to the escalators that go down to the train platforms. For whatever reason, these tickets dont require validation; instead, they have the issuance time & validity period printed on them.)

I you want to go sightseeing instead you could easily see both the opera house and castle within a short time. Start with the Opera, which is right beside Oslo Central train station, head left when you get off the escalator from the tracks. spend 30 minutes here. then either walk, which i recommend if time and weather allows it, this takes 20 minutes of straight walking. Or by taking the metro two stops to Nationaltheateret. From here it's a 2 minute walk up to the castle. This could all be completed within 2 hours time.
Or instead of the castle, take a tram to the City Hall (worth seeing inside & out; no cost and no stupid security theatre) and walk to the harbor. On the street leading there from Nationaltheateret, theres a decent brewpub (Amundsen Bryggeri) with a large street terrace for anyone whod rather eat/drink outdoors during this mad dash.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: