FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nordic Region (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/)
-   -   Iceland restaurant suggestions? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region/1910298-iceland-restaurant-suggestions.html)

mphall May 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Iceland restaurant suggestions?

Hello, I know that Iceland now has a Michelin restaurant? Any suggestions for other good restaurants - reasonably priced works well.

Ryanardo_daVinci May 20, 2018 2:22 pm

Just Reykjavik or further afield?

Also, Iceland and Reasonably Priced don’t really go together, I don’t think i’ve been anywhere more expensive.

Guillou May 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Reykjavik tends to be quite on the expensive side. I personally enjoyed Restaurant Ostabúðin and would recommend checking that out.

s0ssos May 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci (Post 29774937)
Just Reykjavik or further afield?

Also, Iceland and Reasonably Priced don’t really go together, I don’t think i’ve been anywhere more expensive.

Switzerland? Norway?

Ryanardo_daVinci May 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 29775820)
Switzerland? Norway?

Been to both, found Iceland more expensive.

:D! May 21, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci (Post 29776162)

I think it's more like nothing is cheap in Iceland, while it's possible to do Norway and Switzerland on a low budget if all your food comes from REMA or Migros

s0ssos May 21, 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci (Post 29776162)

If you are driving the Golden Circle route there is a visitor center that sells lamb stew, only $10 or something with 1 free refill. That is pretty cheap.

I guess it depends where in Switzerland (Zurich or not) and Norway (Lofoten).

mphall May 21, 2018 5:19 pm

I realize that Iceland is expensive but surely for all the tourists there, someone might have found a few bargains. Maybe a museum cafe or less touristy part of town? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Iceland is really really expensive and I think the US and Canada can't be beat for natural beauty. I wish I had saved my money and just gone for a weekend to see the Northern Lights and skipped the rest. If you're thinking about going to Iceland, check some other destination off your list first. It's an icy island and any food or supplies are very expensive. The fish is quite fishy because of the cold icy waters. It's not like Alaskan salmon. Museums all charged admission and a drink and sharing a sandwich was about $40. Crazy.

Out of my Element May 22, 2018 4:21 am

The way to eat in Iceland for less $$ is to hit the grocery stores (Bonus, with the big pig on the sign) and stock up there, along with the bakeries that are all over the place.

Our lunch every day was sandwiches that we made with bread from the bakeries and cheese and meat from the grocery store, along with dried fruit/nuts we brought from home (Trader Joes, if you have that).

Dinner can be done cheaper if you don't mind a premade sandwich from the convenience stores/markets at the gas stations in the smaller towns, or share a pizza ($25-$30), or the great Icelandic hot dogs can suffice now and then (they really are very good).

justforfun May 22, 2018 4:35 am

I feel bad for all these tourists that get lured to Iceland with the extremely cheap flights only to find that once they're there their entire budget is blown within hours of landing.

mphall May 22, 2018 10:23 am

Thank you for some practical advice. I don't get the snarky replies about the expense of going to Iceland. I probably won't get back there and this forum is to ask questions.

DragonSoul May 23, 2018 1:33 am

Also trying to cost out a trip to Iceland. For the days in Reykjavik, we're thinking about getting an AirBnB and going to Bonus for groceries. Outside of the capital, we're not sure where we'll be staying ("country hotels") so we're guessing little choice, or a walk to a nearby town. Trying to get more information from the operator.

Out of my Element May 23, 2018 4:15 pm

You won't be walking to nearby towns, most towns are under 1000 people and they aren't densely packed, so that walk could be 2-3 miles or much further.

Parking is easy.

12Mermaids May 26, 2018 9:09 pm

This blog post discusses the variety (limited!) for grocery shopping in Reykjavik:

https://iheartreykjavik.net/2013/07/...ng-in-iceland/

In another post, the author suggests the IKEA cafeteria as an inexpensive way to eat in the city. As "Out of my Element" mentioned, you can bring in your own food to supplement groceries. Not just dried nuts/fruits--you can bring in six pounds of food, legally. I'll have a bunch of Clif bars, myself.

Have a great trip!

12Mermaids May 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Ryanardo, I like your username. That's all.