Cheapest rent car in iceland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,

Prices are super high, I would like to rent a 4x4 at least it is very expensive. I will use my platinum amex for the insurance.
Please advice.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by honores41
Prices are super high, I would like to rent a 4x4 at least it is very expensive. I will use my platinum amex for the insurance.
Please advice.

We used Blue cars and were very happy with them. If you intend to use CC coverage make sure they will cover for absolutely everything. Wind and sand/ash are a big issue in Iceland.

Also if you intend to go on F roads make sure 100% that you are covered for travel through water/fords etc. Many tourists end up basically paying for replacement cars after making uninsured crossings. FLooded engines are no joke.

Bear in mind cars in Iceland, and spare parts, are very expensive.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:55 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Cheap car rental companies in Iceland rent pieces of garbage. Read Trip Advisor, especially the threads about SAD Cars and another one (I think it's Cheap Jeep or similar). SO many folks renting from these places end up stranded waiting for hours for assistance.

TA is a great place to see tons of reviews and threads about the various rental car options. THOROUGHLY documenting the condition of your vehicle when you rent it and when you return it can save you hundreds or thousands of dollars in surprise charges.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
I received and offer for 390 per one week an economic car with Hertz, what do you think guys?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:55 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
What size and what time of year are you going?

Make sure it includes Unlimited Miles. Most, but not all, do
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
What size and what time of year are you going?

Make sure it includes Unlimited Miles. Most, but not all, do
900 kms, and we are planning drive more than 1000 km, do you know how much would be the extra kms?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:38 pm

I do not, I'm sure it would be in your rental info or Hertz could tell you.

Don't be surprised if your deal becomes not a good one with the extra fees
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:42 pm

Wink SAD Cars

Try SAD cars. Used them 4+ times in Iceland. They use older cars so they do not cost as much as other outfits. You can take a the car rental shuttle to get to their offices outside KEF.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:20 am

DO NOT USE SAD CARS!!

There is a many dozen page long thread on TripAdvisor recounting so many stories of breakdowns and ruined vacations due to that company!!

And every now and then a 1st time poster (like this?) comes on and talks of a great rental with a not so bad car at a cheap price, but they never say where they went and they never review anything else!
12Mermaids likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Insurance is not the place to save money.

Originally Posted by honores41
Please advice.
Call and talk to American Express about what is covered. I do not believe they cover gravel protection or sand & ash protection. Especially if you want a 4X4, you will want gravel protection (because you must want it to drive on highland roads and they are not paved). Watch youtube videos about the places you plan to drive to get an idea about the roads. Also consider tire protection for punctures/replacement/repair.

Rental car agencies that are less expensive also may not have replacements if something break down along your route. I agree with the suggestion that you should check the Iceland forum on Tripadvisor for information on any agency you consider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.