Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Day tour in Helsinki - in the dark

Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Doing some advanced planning here, but was thinking of taking a longer layover in Helsinki to do a 3-4 hour tour of the city. However, we will be landing in HEL at 16:00 on a December afternoon, which will be around sunset.

Is it still worth doing a tour of Helsinki when it's dark out?

Thanks.

(Flight times don't allow for a tour on the outbound journey.)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA GfL
Get yourself to Senate Square and check out the Christmas market; they're open late. There's also a small one across from Stockmann (department store) on Aleksanterinkatu. The string of lights floating above Aleksanterinkatu and Mannerheimintie streets set the Christmas spirit. The Nordics do a great job of celebrating darkness. You should also check out the (Christmas) window displays at Stockmann. Also there will be several indoor pop up stores on Aleksanterinkatu that sell Christmas items. If you get chilly, you can always grab a mug of mulled wine from the Christmas shops.

Last edited by Peregrine415; Mar 14, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I think that's good advice. December is a quite dark month anyway even between sunrise and sunset. If you're lucky, there will be some snow and it will be less dark but in each case, there will be Christmas lights and decorations everywhere so I think the city should look nice despite the dark season and time of the day.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Not too bothered about seeing the snow. Haven't seen snow in over 30 years and haven't missed it. Besides we'll be coming in from Iceland.

But nice idea about the lights and Christmas markets. Neither occurred to me...
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:23 pm

Yes! I agree! I've been to Helsinki in the wintertime and there is still lots going on. They are very big on Christmas markets, and there will be lots of places to get good mulled wine! And if you get really cold--Helsinki has a burgeoning beer scene. Look up a few of the local breweries before you go and you can always duck into one for a flight of local brews! : )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.