Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Norway/Sognefjord in a Nutshell worth it?

Old Feb 26, 18, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Traveling to Norway in a few months and am re-thinking our schedule. We'll be in Stavanger for 3 days and planned to go to Bergen just so we can take the one-way Norway (or Sognefjord) In a Nutshell tour early the next morning and ending in Oslo at about 10:30pm, so about a 14 hour journey. Is taking the Bergen Railway really worth it? What about the fjord cruise? I ask because we'll be doing hikes at Kjerag and Pulpit Rock while in Stavanger and the idea of traveling to Bergen, arriving, checking in, sleeping and leaving early the next morning (without much time to sightsee) just to travel for 14 hours on a boat then a few trains seems a bit exhausting.

Our other alternative is to take a leisurely train ride from Stavanger to Kristiansand, stay the night, then a train to Oslo the next morning. Yes, it's still a lot of traveling but we'd get to Oslo much earlier and it's only 1 train ride.

We're also very open to other suggestions as well! We haven't book anything else outside of Stavanger and our hotel in Oslo (2 nights) and the flight home from OSL.
Old Feb 26, 18, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; UA Gold MM; DL Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Norway in a Nutshell is very much worth it. It is well organized and the scenery is beautiful. For me, the highlight was The Flam Railway, although the fjord cruise was also good.

I would suggest that you spend at least a day in Bergen, which is a nice city, assuming your time permits.
Old Feb 26, 18, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by meraki View Post
Traveling to Norway in a few months and am re-thinking our schedule. We'll be in Stavanger for 3 days and planned to go to Bergen just so we can take the one-way Norway (or Sognefjord) In a Nutshell tour early the next morning and ending in Oslo at about 10:30pm, so about a 14 hour journey. Is taking the Bergen Railway really worth it? What about the fjord cruise? I ask because we'll be doing hikes at Kjerag and Pulpit Rock while in Stavanger and the idea of traveling to Bergen, arriving, checking in, sleeping and leaving early the next morning (without much time to sightsee) just to travel for 14 hours on a boat then a few trains seems a bit exhausting.

Our other alternative is to take a leisurely train ride from Stavanger to Kristiansand, stay the night, then a train to Oslo the next morning. Yes, it's still a lot of traveling but we'd get to Oslo much earlier and it's only 1 train ride.

We're also very open to other suggestions as well! We haven't book anything else outside of Stavanger and our hotel in Oslo (2 nights) and the flight home from OSL.
NIAN is worth it and is enjoyed even by many young children whose endurance may otherwise be questionable.
Old Feb 27, 18, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did NIAN starting in Oslo, if I could redo it Id skip NIAN fly into Bergen spend time in Bergen and take a fjord trip from there, which I just may do this summer. I felt most of the NIAN was a waste with alot of dead time where there was nothing to do but stand around waiting for the next train or the boat. The Flam railway didnt excite me 1 bit. Id rather take the Rocky Mountainer and go thru the Canadian Rockies then the 3 trains i did in Norway

not helping was there was no sun and was cloudy dark and drizzling and raining all day

I loved Bergen and was sorry I only spent 1 night
Old Feb 28, 18, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's insight! While we're big on nature, after 3 straight days of hikes, we might just want something more relaxing. Or at least not have to lug all our suitcases around with us on a cruise and multiple trains. Has anyone tried that service in Norway that'll pick up your big suitcases from one hotel and drop it off at another hotel in a different city? We might do that and still do the tour since we'll only have a day bag with us.
Old Mar 6, 18, 9:41 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer View Post
Norway in a Nutshell is very much worth it. It is well organized and the scenery is beautiful. For me, the highlight was The Flam Railway, although the fjord cruise was also good.

I would suggest that you spend at least a day in Bergen, which is a nice city, assuming your time permits.
You haven't seen scenery until you've seen that part of Norway. I came away with the feeling that the whole country is made up of scenery that would be in a national park anywhere else, but the Sognefjord is especially worthwhile.

I agree with the suggestion to spend a day in Bergen. At the very least, take the funicular to the top of Fløyen for a magnificent view of the city and its surrounding area, walk down via winding streets full of historic houses, have a seafood lunch from the stalls along the waterfront, and, if you are interested in classical music, go to the Tourist Information Center for tickets and bus ride out to Edvard Grieg's home, where they have an intimate little theater with concerts a few times per week. But take rain gear! That region is famous/notorious even in Norway for its changeable weather.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: