Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KEF layover questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

KEF layover questions

I'm not really a regular flyer, but at the end of the year I've got an Icelandair flight from CPH to DEN via KEF, and I thought I'd ask a couple of questions about the layover.

Firstly, is 1h35 a comfortable margin? I know KEF is quite small, but I've also heard mixed things about its level of efficiency.

Secondly, I've got a problem with heights and a problem with balance that combine to make air stairs a bit of a hassle for me, especially going down. Does anyone know how likely I am to get a jetway, and what the procedure is like if I don't? If it helps, the CPH-KEF flight is a 767-300ER and the KEF-DEN one is a 757-200.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
This is what they do for a living.

40 minute layovers are not uncommon nor are they risky.

Recent reports are about 60-40 for a Jetway vs. stairs to the terminal or to a bus
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
KEF access issues

The biggest issue I encountered recently in KEF is overcrowding. In the evening, when all of the flights leave for N America, the restaurants were overflowing and every seat was taken. On the other hand, every Icelandair aircraft & Lufthansa had bridges while WOW was using buses.

I notified them of my concerns and received a sympathetic response.

You have lots of time to notify both Icelandair and the airport and request assistance. I contacted KEF at [email protected]
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:58 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The biggest issue I encountered recently in KEF is overcrowding. In the evening, when all of the flights leave for N America, the restaurants were overflowing and every seat was taken. On the other hand, every Icelandair aircraft & Lufthansa had bridges while WOW was using buses.
I flew FI LGW-KEF last month on a B757 and got a bus both ways.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:09 pm

I found KEF was just so over crowded. Nowhere to sit, people sitting on the floor in every possible spot. No jet bridges in use and people being herded in to waiting areas with no seating. Was very challenging for people who could not stand for long.

No issues on the time for the time, but definitely not an airport you want to be spending much time in.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ares96
I'm not really a regular flyer, but at the end of the year I've got an Icelandair flight from CPH to DEN via KEF, and I thought I'd ask a couple of questions about the layover.

Firstly, is 1h35 a comfortable margin? I know KEF is quite small, but I've also heard mixed things about its level of efficiency.

Secondly, I've got a problem with heights and a problem with balance that combine to make air stairs a bit of a hassle for me, especially going down. Does anyone know how likely I am to get a jetway, and what the procedure is like if I don't? If it helps, the CPH-KEF flight is a 767-300ER and the KEF-DEN one is a 757-200.
KEF is a bit of a mess, especially for anyone with mobility issues. Long queues prior to boarding, overcrowded bathrooms, overcrowded retail and general lack of space all makes this a pretty rough transfer point for someone in your situation. Bank on not getting a jetbridge either if left up to chance.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by Icon5
KEF is a bit of a mess, especially for anyone with mobility issues. Long queues prior to boarding, overcrowded bathrooms, overcrowded retail and general lack of space all makes this a pretty rough transfer point for someone in your situation. Bank on not getting a jetbridge either if left up to chance.
Yeah, it's a mess there. They schedule all arrivals/departures around the same time to make NA/Europe connections. On top of that, at least as of this summer, there was a lot of construction, which cut down on space even more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.